Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Lets Be Seeing Ya!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

And the programme when I was a kid was Captain Pugwash, with Master Bates & Seaman Staines, but when I was little those names were just that, minds were a lot more innocent back then for much longer.

[/quote]

The strange thing ias that Captain Pugwash never had a Master Bates or a Seaman Staines in it. Or even a Roger the Cabin Boy. Seems that mind of yours wasn''t quite so innocent [:O]
[/quote]

very true, it was 1st mate Bates, Tom the Cabin boy, and there was no Staines.... i have a captain pugwash book from when i was a boy....

It was just purile humour from the era im faraid.

jas :)

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Shack Attack"]I don''t think you dreamt it up WAY49. You were probably just exposed to the same urban myths that I was as a child."The

Captain Pugwash cartoon, which originally ran on the BBC between

1958 and 1967, is widely believed to have featured characters with

risqué maritime names such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger

the Cabin Boy. In fact, the crew of the famous Black Pig ship included

sailors with no such names: present on board were Master Mate, Tom the

Cabin Boy, and Pirates Barnabas and Willy. (No character with the

designation of ''Seaman'' appeared in the show.) Series creator John Ryan

successfully won retractions and settlements from the Sunday

Correspondent and the Guardian after both newspapers claimed that the

show''s characters did indeed have smutty names, and that the BBC had

taken it off the air as a result. The Guardian''s statement ran as

follows: In the Young Guardian of September 13 [1991] we stated that the

Captain Pugwash cartoon series featured characters called Seaman

Staines and Master Bates, and for that reason the series had never been

repeated by the BBC. We accept that it is untrue that there ever were

any such characters. Furthermore, the series continues to be shown on

television and on video. We apologize to Mr. Ryan, the creator, writer

and artist of the Captain Pugwash films and books. We have agreed to

pay him damages and his legal costs."
I used to think it was true as well. I''m blaming ''bigger boys'' for misleading me. You''re right about The Magic Roundabout though [:D]

[/quote]Good knowledge, Shack...However, the story about the rude episode of Rainbow is completely true, I''ve seen it on EweToob.... or at least I think I have, I was ''doing a Dylan'' at the time... [:S]This here link might solve it, but I''m in the Uni library so don''t have sound....... check it out!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4SMhahUP4Q[/quote]The Rainbow video was one of the VT editors christmas tapes that were made and sent round between the ITV companies, not mean''t to get out to the public [:)] I got my hands on one in the early 90''s with a very rude Bullseye episode, and Crypton Factor with the contestants doing the assault course nude. Top entertainment

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

I look back at some of the programmes from my childhood and look at what the kids view now and know why society is the way it is, hehehehe. [:D]

[/quote]

I should probably leave this alone, I really need to get some work done today, but that quote really intruiges me. What do you think kids TV tells us about the way society is and how do you think it influences it? I''m not having a dig, but genuinely interested [:D]

I used to love Mr Benn when I was a kid. I never realised until recently that there were only ever fourteen made.

[/quote]Mr Benn was obviously on LSDgoing into clothes shops off his face and pretending to be an astronaut....

[quote user="bryan baldie baldric"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

I look back at some of the programmes from my childhood and look at what the kids view now and know why society is the way it is, hehehehe. [:D]

[/quote]

I should probably leave this alone, I really need to get some work done today, but that quote really intruiges me. What do you think kids TV tells us about the way society is and how do you think it influences it? I''m not having a dig, but genuinely interested [:D]

I used to love Mr Benn when I was a kid. I never realised until recently that there were only ever fourteen made.

[/quote]
Mr Benn was obviously on LSD
going into clothes shops off his face and pretending to be an astronaut....
[/quote]

lmfao aint that a fact

talking of shows...postman pat.now im not racist (i dont consider myself to be), i have many friends who are of many religions and of different creedand none of them give a toss about if there are black/asian/indian etc... people in the show.yet they have now got a hindu family running the local post office...as if people complain about this?i agree that there could of been an equal mix, but its clear to see they have done this purely because they have had to but not because they (not want) but feel that a multiculural society or story would benefit the complicated plot of postman pat.

used to lov mary mungo and midge as does my 4 year old son now.  So funny to watch the hospital episode on you tube. The little boy in one of the other beds looks as though he was straight out of the black and white minstrel show.  Mind you dont think he would look like that now.