Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Shack is back

I think its funny Shackell has come back on loan as me and my husband were only sayin the other day about the possibility of that happening and that it might not be such a bad thing! I dont see why everyone is being so negative about it, in my opinion he was a good player for us.Ok, he made some mistakes but dont all players? He obviously wants to be here and help us out of trouble so good on Gunny for bringing him back I say![:)] 

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

Butterworth is also the first defender we''ve had as a coach whilst Shack''s has been at the club (unless my memory decieves me), which may help as well.

[/quote]Very fair point - I''ll give him 45 minutes

Someone mentioned this the other day - have to say I had my doubts to how truthful it was but fair play to whoever posted it.  Don''t have any feeling on it one way or the other I suppose.The grass isn''t always greener?

Good move!

I know many will moan cause Shacks was limited and was a target like the Doc has been but at the end of the day hes a good stopper just like the Doc and will be vital in our relegation scrap!

What the ''sheep'' who jump on the bandwagon should realise is that the grass is not greener on the other side and that has been well and truly proved this season Yes Stefanovic looked classy but was he a better defender than either the Doc or Shacks? - NO!

We only got Kennedy cause he has a knee problem and he was poor in the latter games of his spell!

Grounds has been poor at CB, all over the place and not as commited as the Doc. Yes hes scored 2 goals but these have rather covered up his defensive liabilities!

I believe we got a hugely over inflated fee for Shacks but apparently a lot of this went on Sibierski!

The Doc and Shacks have been solid at the back before when together!

Crikey, I''m out for the day and look what happens! I saw the thread further up the page and just ignored it as more rumour/wind-up trash... then saw a second with 8 pages of replies and thought ''naaahhhh...''And then... and then........... oh dear God, no............................ [:|]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Crikey, I''m out for the day and look what happens! I saw the thread further up the page and just ignored it as more rumour/wind-up trash... then saw a second with 8 pages of replies and thought ''naaahhhh...''

And then... and then........... oh dear God, no............................ [:|]
[/quote]

lol that will teach you for leaving the forum for a day [:P][:D]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Grounds has been poor at CB, all over the place and not as commited as the Doc. Yes hes scored 2 goals but these have rather covered up his defensive liabilities![/quote]To be fair, is his natural position not at left back? Whatever way you look at it, another experienced centre back coming into the squad is a good thing, as we are so thin in that position. Would still like Davies, but perhaps that''s not happening now, or is still up in the air.

[quote user="gremlin griggs"]good to see him back if only on loan he will be better under gunny than roeder the rat[/quote]

and worthy and grant?

He left because he needed a change and had lost his passion here.

With some committment and desire he may fulfill his potential shown in the prem,  but 3 seasons one he has a lot of convincing to do for me

[quote user="Polar"]at least he shouldn''t have to gel in and he does know the club... better than nothing.
[/quote]

Shower gel?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="CT the Jarrold king"]

[quote user="tribes"]Marshall; Otsemobar; Docherty; Shackell; Drury. With Croft; Fotheringham; Russell and Cureton. Sounds familiar. It''s almost as though Roeder had never been here.[/quote]

We''re missing someone though....

[/quote]

Yes we are missing plenty. If we could keep going back until we got to October 2006 we could have :-

Gallacher

Colin Doherty Shackell Drury
Croft Safri Etuhu Huckerby

Dublin Earnshaw.
Subs: Camp Fleming Hughes Robinson Thorne

But we hated that so much we protested inside and outside the ground and hired out St Andrews Hall to get rid of the man who put that lot together in order to end up where we are now.[:|]

[/quote]

not all ouf us did. I can honestly say not one "Worthington Out" chant was uttered by me, he was just another poor sod shafted by the clubs owners, who are the real reason we are we are now.

The problem if Shackell and the Doc play together is the absolute lack of positional sense, pace, and most importantly the inability of either of them to play their way out from the back.  When they played together previously the only pass either of them had was the punt up front.  Compare and contrast when Tiny Taylor played alongside one of them and you saw what composure was at the back.  In this league you can''t just keep giving the ball away to the opposition when you get it.  I fear the worst.

I don''t have a problem with Shacks coming back, my problem is that we had so many problems with Doc and Shacks before, they didn''t work and unless Butterworth can conjure up some good old fashioned defending, then it won''t work again.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s not hindsight if the you don''t change your mind but then my dad always said you got moved back a year and still finished bottom[:O]

[/quote]

Actually i passed the 11 + a year early NN.Yes i know that gives my age away but to try and kid people that you are years younger than myself i find a bit sad as i know full well we were born in the same decade.By the way isn''t it females that lie about their age?

Back to the subject of this thread how about you giving your views about Shacks return before he has kicked a ball.Have you a crystal ball or will you still rely on the benefit of hindsight at the end of the season?

WAHEY they are back together, finally.Cant wait for Saturdays game now.[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1750/b7a1fc32d407412eca463c2tk4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="Duffman"]WAHEY they are back together, finally.

Cant wait for Saturdays game now.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1750/b7a1fc32d407412eca463c2tk4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[/quote]

To me, to you lol

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1750/b7a1fc32d407412eca463c2tk4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[/quote]

To me, to you lol

[/quote]

My Owl should have arrived by now 49.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

To me, to you lol

[/quote]

My Owl should have arrived by now 49.

[/quote]

lol dunno about owl, but you have a PM [:)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s not hindsight if the you don''t change your mind but then my dad always said you got moved back a year and still finished bottom[:O]

[/quote]

Actually i passed the 11 + a year early NN.Yes i know that gives my age away but to try and kid people that you are years younger than myself i find a bit sad as i know full well we were born in the same decade.By the way isn''t it females that lie about their age?

Back to the subject of this thread how about you giving your views about Shacks return before he has kicked a ball.Have you a crystal ball or will you still rely on the benefit of hindsight at the end of the season?

[/quote]

Did you know that the 11+ was one of only two exams I passed in my life Tilly. The other one will surprise you... it was the entrance exam for the police force. I was told I got twice the national average which was comfortably enough to get into the Norfolk Constabulary at the time. Apparently with a poorer mark I would have still been allowed to join the Met! However a nice policeman then met with me and Lesley, we were teenagers at the time, and decided that I wouldn''t be suited to the shift work, so that was the end of that and I went and got a job in the local chemical factory..... on shifts[:O] Funny to look back on the things that shape our lives!

My opinion on Shackell is that he will improve our squad in an area where we are weak. Grounds was the only left sided centre back at the club and he was on a short loan and I don''t believe is strong enough yet to play that position in championship football week in week out. Shackell and Doherty know eachothers games and we were better defensively when they played together before. This gives us the option of moving Grounds to left back too. So all in all I think it''s a good move. What are your thoughts Tilly?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you know that the 11+ was one of only two exams I passed in my life Tilly. The other one will surprise you... it was the entrance exam for the police force. I was told I got twice the national average which was comfortably enough to get into the Norfolk Constabulary at the time. Apparently with a poorer mark I would have still been allowed to join the Met! However a nice policeman then met with me and Lesley, we were teenagers at the time, and decided that I wouldn''t be suited to the shift work, so that was the end of that and I went and got a job in the local chemical factory..... on shifts[:O] Funny to look back on the things that shape our lives!

My opinion on Shackell is that he will improve our squad in an area where we are weak. Grounds was the only left sided centre back at the club and he was on a short loan and I don''t believe is strong enough yet to play that position in championship football week in week out. Shackell and Doherty know eachothers games and we were better defensively when they played together before. This gives us the option of moving Grounds to left back too. So all in all I think it''s a good move. What are your thoughts Tilly?

[/quote]my opinion is that with the davies loan going up in smoke - we were in dire need a CB to save our season, and that getting shax back is a banker no brainer - he and the doc know each others games inside out - and although not the best in the league - they should enough about them to plug enough leaks to present a central defence of sorts...theres no gelling period required,,,and hopefully the defence will be stronger from the word go...ground is a boy with potential - but he lacks the necessary physical maturity to dominate defenders like he should... i don''t rate both these players as top 6 defenders in this league, individually, or as a pairing,,,but i''m more confident tonight that we have a better defence in place to build upon our goal scoring efforts of late...otbc///

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Remember where you heard it Nutty.Grounds will be right back against Preston.Totally agree with you on the Doc and Shacks pairing.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Is the first time that a new player will automatically be assumed to be rubbish on a justifiable basis?[/quote]

There are many peeps on here with either short memories or no memories at all. Shacs came up  through our own accademy and made a great impression when  he came into the first team. He had some good games in the Prem and regretably his form fell off badly before he left us.

He nevertheless is capable of being a good player in this league and a return to us could well help him rediscover his form..He is yellow and green through and through and I together with most of  the  guys in the Snake  Pit and elsewhere will cheer him when he runs out for us at home.

He is stilll a young guy and will continue to improve, I`m amazed at some of the posts on here about him, your all  crying out for  home grown tallent for goodness sake, heads up arse  or what, you should be  ashamed of yourselves!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Is the first time that a new player will automatically be assumed to be rubbish on a justifiable basis?[/quote]

There are many peeps on here with either short memories or no memories at all. Shacs came up  through our own accademy and made a great impression when  he came into the first team. He had some good games in the Prem and regretably his form fell off badly before he left us.

He nevertheless is capable of being a good player in this league and a return to us could well help him rediscover his form..He is yellow and green through and through and I together with most of  the  guys in the Snake  Pit and elsewhere will cheer him when he runs out for us at home.

He is stilll a young guy and will continue to improve, I`m amazed at some of the posts on here about him, your all  crying out for  home grown tallent for goodness sake, heads up arse  or what, you should be  ashamed of yourselves!

[/quote]

Here here!

I find all this criticism of Shacks crazy!

Shacks is similar to the Doc in that hes been made a scapegoat when in reality hes much better than given credit for!

Oh and a Doc and Shacks partnership has worked before!

He is a good stopper, has affinity with the club and is totally comitted to the cause!

He will probably prove better than Omorsuzi, Kennedy and Grounds were. To me hes got a better chance of suceeding than what the guy from Stoke had who for all we know could of been another Omorsuzi, Kennedy or Grounds!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

Well Done Shacks, you deserve the shirt mate!

Eh? We were battered for most of the game.....Doc and Shack the hack are the worst pairing we''ve had for 10 years. Kenton Clingan Taylor Stefanovich Kennedy and Russell have all been better than Shackell. He''s been a disaster since the palarse game, at least he was out of position and had an excuse there