Sign in to follow this  
cheshire canary

London Marathon

Hi everyone,

Before I get shot down in flames, yeah yeah I know it''s not strictly City related, but before you ignore me, I''m going to be running the London Marathon in April in aid of a very good cause - a local (to me!) charity called B.I.R.D.  www.b-i-r-d.org.uk  I work at Reaseheath College in Nantwich, Cheshire
I attend around 30 City games per season... Away travellers may recognise me if you have a look at my photo!

I''m wondering whether anybody would be willing to send a donation for my charity efforts? I''ve been struggling with confidence in training, but the money I have managed to get from colleagues and friends so far is really spurring me on.
If anybody would like to take a look at my website and maybe add a donation, it''s at
www.justgiving.com/markhardy and I would be most grateful.

Finally, the most important bit... On the day itself, i''ll be running the marathon in either the championship winning kit of 03/04, or the egg and cress full kit... The two ''finest hours'' of City following since I was born. Any suggestions as to which one i should wear - again greatly appreciated! Look out for the yellow and green on the tele, and if you''re running the marathon yourself, give me a shout!!!

Many thanks in anticipation of your help,

Mark [:)]

OTBC

I''ll take a look. Very jealous. I was accepted in 1987 but due to a job commitment I couldn''t do it. Dont expect too much support from this site, not known for its contributions to charitable causes as I''ve learnt from experienceIf however the cause is a good one you should contact Dawn Towns at the club if she''s still there - they''re very generous to local charities.

[quote user="IBA"]I''ll take a look. Very jealous. I was accepted in 1987 but due to a job commitment I couldn''t do it.

Dont expect too much support from this site, not known for its contributions to charitable causes as I''ve learnt from experience

If however the cause is a good one you should contact Dawn Towns at the club if she''s still there - they''re very generous to local charities.
[/quote]

Probably because most people like me are pretty much completly skint. Good luck mate, i hope you make lots of money for the charity, and finish in a respectable time [Y]

all the best! i know a couple of people who have run it in the past and finished after 6 and 7 hours.. good effort!

hope you get a similar time and raise some decent cash!

jas :)

Best of luck with that, I am jealous, couldn''t get into the London Marathon this year but am doing the Stratford Marathon on the same weekend and hope to get into London next year.

I''m sure you will be fine, believe me, once the adrenaline kicks in the miles will fly by and you can be sure you will get some great support around the course. [:)]

I am quite jealous also. This is on my to-do list of life, but am waiting for keyhole on my crocked knee... 

Hi guys

As per my post from Feb - the marathon is getting close now!

I''ve decided to show my support for the Canaries and will be wearing the kit from the UEFA cup season. i have the shorts, but the shirt i have is too large for me to be running in, so...

Does anyone have the egg and cress style home shirt from 93/94 in size Adult Small, that i could buy off them? I''ve kept an eye on ebay but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Look out for the yellow & green!

OTBC,
Mark

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]Be warned I did the Great North Run in the egg and cress kit a few years ago, it''s like running wearing a cheese grater, wear a base layer or least 2 plasters otherwise you''ll have no nipples by the time you finish.[/quote]

I think that is why i don''t run in Norwich shirts! they are not always the most comfortable choice.

Berkshire, how did you get on at the weekend? the weather seemes OK for it.

I''d love to do the London marathon but it is a nightmare to get a place, i''ll try this year but I have more chance of winning the lottery i think.

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]Be warned I did the Great North Run in the egg and cress kit a few years ago, it''s like running wearing a cheese grater, wear a base layer or least 2 plasters otherwise you''ll have no nipples by the time you finish.[/quote]http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/joggersnipples.shtml

[quote user="Guy Gibsons dog."][quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]Be warned I did the Great North Run in the egg and cress kit a few years ago, it''s like running wearing a cheese grater, wear a base layer or least 2 plasters otherwise you''ll have no nipples by the time you finish.[/quote]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/joggersnipples.shtml
[/quote]

It''s nothing that decent lube can''t prevent, that or wearing a bra!

Yup defintely wear a base layer - even after an hour playing 5-a-side in one of those things I had raw nipples!

All the best with the run, I admire you but am in no way at all jealous! Runnning for the sake of running really is my idea of hell!

[quote user="CT the Jarrold king"]

The OP is such an attention seeker ''oh look at me, I''m doing the marathon''.......

...is the reaction I''d get if id posted that on here

[/quote]

The difference is that he is doing something so tough you wouldn''t believe, and for a very good cause.

You must admit the majority of your posts are utter drivvle though CT!!?

I think the point was that your ''Guess who''s going to Ipswich'' thread was just a bit more pointless and would a few people up. There will be 000''s of City fans at Ipswich - should they all start a new thread about it??

I think what we''ve learned here CT, is that people aren''t interested in what other people are doing - and if they are then it really is a sad state of affairs that those people ought to be sorting out. Go out and LIVE your LIFE, as opposed to just telling other people what you will do.

No offence, btw.

[quote user="Marty"]

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]Be warned I did the Great North Run in the egg and cress kit a few years ago, it''s like running wearing a cheese grater, wear a base layer or least 2 plasters otherwise you''ll have no nipples by the time you finish.[/quote]

I think that is why i don''t run in Norwich shirts! they are not always the most comfortable choice.

Berkshire, how did you get on at the weekend? the weather seemes OK for it.

I''d love to do the London marathon but it is a nightmare to get a place, i''ll try this year but I have more chance of winning the lottery i think.

[/quote]

Did quite well thanks, managed a personal best of 2:15 which I was happy with despite a bruised knee - going to have to try and beat it next year!! Also managed to find Obiwancanary (it is amazing how even in a crowd of 12,000 people you can always spot a Norwich shirt) so it was nice to have a quick chat with him. All set for the Stratford Marathon and just noticed there is a 10k in Trowse the weekend I am in Norwich which is now a must-do!!! 

As for CT, I would hardly call attempting to raise money for charity attention seeking.... [:^)]

[quote user="CT the Jarrold king"]

I just dont see why when I do things that other posters do , it is classed as attention seeking........

[/quote]

Yes, CT, but there''s a subtle difference between someone coming on here to drum up sponsorship for a gruelling 26 mile run and others posting something like......" If we win all our remaining games we''ll get 18 points. Comment. "

And ?

Done the London Marathon 5 times, and will do so for the 6th time this year. A truly inspirational event that I would recommend to anyone. Raised £8000 in 5 years and hope to run under 2.55, all being well...

[quote user="Surrey yellow"]Done the London Marathon 5 times, and will do so for the 6th time this year. A truly inspirational event that I would recommend to anyone. Raised £8000 in 5 years and hope to run under 2.55, all being well...[/quote]

That is a seriously fast time SY! I would like that pace for a half marathon to be honest. How do you manage to get a place in the London marathon? is there a secret?

Well done BC, always good to get a PB, should lead to better things throughout the rest of the year.

[quote user="Marty"]

[quote user="Surrey yellow"]Done the London Marathon 5 times, and will do so for the 6th time this year. A truly inspirational event that I would recommend to anyone. Raised £8000 in 5 years and hope to run under 2.55, all being well...[/quote]

That is a seriously fast time SY! I would like that pace for a half marathon to be honest. How do you manage to get a place in the London marathon? is there a secret?

Well done BC, always good to get a PB, should lead to better things throughout the rest of the year.

[/quote]

Marty, this year is only the 2nd occasion in 6 years that I have been successful with a ballot entry. I run for a charity regardless of whether I get a ballot place or not. My particular chairty request that I raise at least £1000 in exchange for a Golden Bond entry... No secret at all

[quote user="Marty"]

[/quote]

Marty, this year is only the 2nd occasion in 6 years that I have been successful with a ballot entry. I run for a charity regardless of whether I get a ballot place or not. My particular chairty request that I raise at least £1000 in exchange for a Golden Bond entry... No secret at all

I just watched Run, Fatboy, Run a couple of nights ago, and here comes a thread about the London marathon.  Coinkydink?  I also watched Dirty Little Things, another London-based movie that was okay but not great.  Last week was Snatch, and that rocked.

I walked 14 miles in 3.5 hours on Jan 1.  Damn, was I a wreck after that. 26 consecutive miles? Not for this guy.

I think and many other posters and veiwers of this site would agree that:

• CT
  • Jas
  • and the First Wizard

should all do the Marathon as all they do is spend all of there life on here and it might actually do them some good to get some fresh air!

[:D]