Judging from comments regarding Carney and the impact he made last night, I can''t see how you can drop him.  So it''s a "no" from me, Carney to start.

I think hoolahan was dropped because we were playing wolves so we needed to get defencive cover. Hoolahan is good going forward but he dont track back like Bertrand and if Kightly got space then we were in trouble

[quote user="Scooby"]Judging from comments regarding Carney and the impact he made last night, I can''t see how you can drop him.  So it''s a "no" from me, Carney to start.[/quote]

Agreed. Carney sounded very impressive and gave us better shape. Hoolahan''s extreme one-footedness and tendency to give the ball away cheaply count against him, notwithstanding his ability to produce flashes of genius.

It''s a nice situation to be in. We have three very credible options on that left wing now all of whom have different strengths. I personally think at home I''d be tempted to throw Hoolahan back into the mix - but both Bertrand and Carney impressed as well.

Better to be in this situation than struggling to find a left winger whatsoever.

[quote user="NCFC1"]I think hoolahan was dropped because we were playing wolves so we needed to get defencive cover. Hoolahan is good going forward but he dont track back like Bertrand and if Kightly got space then we were in trouble[/quote]

Precisely, I fully expect Hoolahan to return to the starting line up to face Bristol. With only one win in nine Gunn will be desperate to take three points on Saturday. We need to play our best attacking players and Hoolahan with his new found scoring ability should top the list.

It''s going to be very difficult to accomodate all the strikers/midfield players.

One option might be to utilise Gows midfield ability coupled with Hoolahans. Let them keep swapping roles during the match.

Could cause a degree of uncertainty in oposition defences.

That would leave Sammy a bit exposed but as an attacking option?

Leave Carney on the left and Croft on the right with Cort leading the line.

Mobile players to feed off the flicks etc.

Just a thought

I can see Hoolahan playing just behind Killen/Cort imo. Not sure if we should be playing good ol'' 4-4-2 with two natural strikers on atm. It''s harsh on Hoolahan as he has been playing very well. Gunn has said he is high in his plans, so lets wait and see what happens [:)]

I wondered if there was an element of Gunn letting Hoolahan/the squad know who was boss, after Hooli''s strop at the Doncaster game. 

Obviously, he wouldn''t have done this to the detriment of the team, but I wondered if Gunn would drop Hooli to let the team know that whilst he''s a nice guy, he''s not a walk-over.

Thoughts?

Lats night was not the right game for Hoolihan.

Physical and intimidating and Gunny got it spot on. For the first 20 mins we kept it tight and knocked the ball around well, getting men behind the ball and frustrating the Wolves team...and more importantly their supporters.

[quote user="LeedsYellow"]

I wondered if there was an element of Gunn letting Hoolahan/the squad know who was boss, after Hooli''s strop at the Doncaster game. 

Obviously, he wouldn''t have done this to the detriment of the team, but I wondered if Gunn would drop Hooli to let the team know that whilst he''s a nice guy, he''s not a walk-over.

Thoughts?

[/quote]

i dont think thats the best way to get respect out of the players, roeder tried it and it had a very negative effect. i think gunns attitude and calmness will result in quite a bit of leeway for the players and its up to them to be professional and not to take advantage.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="LeedsYellow"]

Thoughts?

[/quote]

i dont think thats the best way to get respect out of the players, roeder tried it and it had a very negative effect. i think gunns attitude and calmness will result in quite a bit of leeway for the players and its up to them to be professional and not to take advantage.

[/quote]

Yeah maybe so, although the difference with Roeder is that he would have dropped him from the squad and had him training with the U18s!

I agree that after last night''s performance, Carney deserves to get picked on saturday. With him and Wes chomping at the bit for selection, it''ll be interesting to see who gets picked between now and the end of the season. Equally, it was a good call by Gunn to start with Bertrand last night - horses for courses etc.