Sign in to follow this  
BGG&YPOS

Was GR Correct?

There was a lot of anger on this board when GR let Joe Lewis go, he did say at the time that we had a better prospect in young Rudd, with the performances he is having, in peoples eyes do you think GR now did the right thing?

I think he did the right thing by Joe Lewis, not necessarily the club.  Joe is an excellent keeper but not as good as Marshall, yet.

Give it 3 seasons and young Rudd will be our number 1, followed by young Jed Steer 3 or 4 years after that.

Regardless, I still think Lewis was sold on the cheap.  £400K for a guy who gets into the England Squad from the third tier of football is not enough.  Not sure if we had a hefty sell on clause though.

[quote user="Cartoon Head"]Jed Steer is supposed to be a better prospect than Rudd. We could see Rudd on the bench next season and Steer impressing for the U18s[/quote]steer IS betterhe is just brilliant all roundeven more refined than rudd tbh.just not as experienced

Given how well Marshall is playing cannot see these guys getting a chance.  Marshall is not exactly old and probably has 10 years in the first team, will they wait or want first team football?

Like I''ve said on this subject on here a few times before -

Joe Lewis was good but never looked that special and I went to many reserve and youth team matches featuring him!

Whilen here he was never good enough to play in our 1st team!

I bet Many people that say we were wrong to let him go never saw him play!

Anyway if he goes beyond Peterborough (which I''m not holding my breath on!) we''ve got a sell on clause!

[quote user="rjwc22"]Regardless, I still think Lewis was sold on the cheap.  £400K for a guy who gets into the England Squad from the third tier of football is not enough.  Not sure if we had a hefty sell on clause though.[/quote]I can''t agree with this buddy. £400k was not cheap for a keeper that had limited experience and most of it at league 2 standard. You forget to add the sell on fee that we have with him as well that is quite hefty and whilst he impressed at the begining of the season I havn''t heard much about him since November-ish. As for the Engalnd bit, I think it was more to do with playing for the under 21''s etc than it was to do with league form, he was already in the England set up and probably known to the management - that does not detract from his ability as a keeper but there are other keepers out there playing higher up the league that didn''t get a look in although rated.Rudd -  well as soon as the England set up hear that he can not only save penalties but also take them there is no way he will be left out of an England squad - we are horrific at both!

There was a lot of anger on this board when GR let Joe Lewis go, he did say at the time that we had a better prospect in young Rudd, with the performances he is having, in peoples eyes do you think GR now did the right thing

Probably.....yes, £400,000 is a lot of money if you look at transfer fees in the current climate. My mate is a Peterborough season ticket holder and he tells me Joe has been making a number of mistakes recently and is coming in for a lot of stick from the fans!!!! I also think Cappelo was wrong to include him so early in the England squad which must have put added pressure on him

I used to despise Dec Rudd as a person, i was the year above him at school and we fell out bigtime when playing football at lunch, i''d just nutmegged him so he completely hacked me out ,then when he next got the ball i went in knee high on him and left him in a heap, once i''d cooled off i went to apologise but he shrugged me off and ever since we never ever got on.

However the lad is a very good goalkeeper, he used to pull of some spectacular saves and isn''t a bad outfield player either to tell you the truth, pleased to say i put a few past him though haha, he could well be a great prospect for us if he''s matured since i last saw him on a regular basis (about 3 years ago now), i certainly have and wish him all the best and hope he does well for NCFC as it would be great to see some more players from our academy come through to the 1st team.

I don''t know to much about Steer though.

[quote user="BGG YPOS"]Was GR Correct?[/quote]Yes, once, on the 1st of April 2008.Then everyone realised it was a joke.[:P]

There is a tranch of Posh supporters who want Mark Tyler back in goal who was a fan favourite and loyal club player. In fact it''s almost a "Huckerby" situation.....................#

[:|]

[quote user="Lambo"]

I used to despise Dec Rudd as a person, i was the year above him at school and we fell out bigtime when playing football at lunch, i''d just nutmegged him so he completely hacked me out ,then when he next got the ball i went in knee high on him and left him in a heap, once i''d cooled off i went to apologise but he shrugged me off and ever since we never ever got on.

However the lad is a very good goalkeeper, he used to pull of some spectacular saves and isn''t a bad outfield player either to tell you the truth, pleased to say i put a few past him though haha, he could well be a great prospect for us if he''s matured since i last saw him on a regular basis (about 3 years ago now), i certainly have and wish him all the best and hope he does well for NCFC as it would be great to see some more players from our academy come through to the 1st team.

[/quote]

I hear he''s never recovered mentally since you scored a hat-trick passed him at lunch-time!

LOL, he''ll see me sitting in the Barcley and freak.

Nah like i say, the lad can pull of some damn good saves when he wants to.

[quote user="Lambo"]

[/quote]I love posts like this! Make''s all the names we band about seem a lot more ''human''! Cheers Lambo! [:D]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

There is a tranch of Posh supporters who want Mark Tyler back in goal who was a fan favourite and loyal club player. In fact it''s almost a "Huckerby" situation.....................#

[:|]

[/quote]not a bad keeper himself reallya norwich boy too