Sign in to follow this  
Delias Tasty Nibblets

Bobby Convey

An absolutely quality player in my opinion. cuts inside just like a certian mr huckerby did for us, and with bell being off loaded and carney another loanee, would be amazing to get convey in on a perm contract. no fee either, just what the board like.

Convey is an American, or Yankee as you people often refer to us as, so if his choices are MLS and Coca Cola, he is very likely going to play in the US.  If another Prem team steps up, he is most likely going to stay in England.  

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Convey is an American, or Yankee as you people often refer to us as, so if his choices are MLS and Coca Cola, he is very likely going to play in the US.  If another Prem team steps up, he is most likely going to stay in England.  [/quote]

Why would he choose the MLS? "Quality" is not a legitimate answer.

Think given the amount of games he has not played for Reading would struggle to get a work permit anyway.

[quote user="NCFC1"]He would be  good addition to our team also Bret Ormerod has no contract after he was relesed[/quote]

Ormerod signed for Blackpool, didn''t he?

[quote user="Delia S. Tickers"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Convey is an American, or Yankee as you people often refer to us as, so if his choices are MLS and Coca Cola, he is very likely going to play in the US.  If another Prem team steps up, he is most likely going to stay in England.  [/quote]

[/quote]

Why is "quality" not a legit answer?  MLS is as good as Championship.  But anyways, the reason he would choose MLS over Norwich is because he would want to play in front of his friends and family, and be closer to home.  This is merely an assumption, but more and more of the higher level Yanks and Canucks are coming to MLS when they still have the option to play in Europe, and they usually say it is for the exact reasons I gave.

Agreed, it is nothing to do with quality.  Lot''s of players want to spend their later years in their own countries near family etc and so their own kids can grow up in the country they did etc.

He may stay here though as I hear he likes skiing....

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Delia S. Tickers"]

[/quote]

Why is "quality" not a legit answer?  MLS is as good as Championship.  But anyways, the reason he would choose MLS over Norwich is because he would want to play in front of his friends and family, and be closer to home.  This is merely an assumption, but more and more of the higher level Yanks and Canucks are coming to MLS when they still have the option to play in Europe, and they usually say it is for the exact reasons I gave.

[/quote]are you assuming that beckham joined the MLS for football and not due to friends and money?or Abel Xavier? who no one would take on after tsking nandralone?freddie ljungberg?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]He''s going to San Jose Earthquakes ironically

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11619496
[/quote]

thats where all the has beens end up ;)

jas :)

are you assuming that beckham joined the MLS for football and not due to friends and money?
or Abel Xavier? who no one would take on after tsking nandralone?
freddie ljungberg?

[/quote

No.  Are you assuming I am an idiot?  This is about the relatively obscure Bobby Convey, not world superstar David Beckham. I''m sure if Norwich offered Convey 1/2 a billion, he would sign with the Canaries, but if things go the way they normally do, it is not unreasonable to expect him to return to N America if he doesn''t get picked up by some other Prem team or a top division team in a big league in Europe.  

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

are you assuming that beckham joined the MLS for football and not due to friends and money?or Abel Xavier? who no one would take on after tsking nandralone?freddie ljungberg?[/quote

No.  Are you assuming I am an idiot?  This is about the relatively obscure Bobby Convey, not world superstar David Beckham. I''m sure if Norwich offered Convey 1/2 a billion, he would sign with the Canaries, but if things go the way they normally do, it is not unreasonable to expect him to return to N America if he doesn''t get picked up by some other Prem team or a top division team in a big league in Europe.  

[/quote]No diss-respect Houston but he played for Reading before they were promoted to the premiership - infact according he signed for them in 2004. I would suggest that history would say if no other offer came in he may be tempted by a move to Norwich.Without meaning to sound insulting I very much doubt he would return to the US at this point in time. There are many reasons but the main one is age. I think football in the US is on the way up but it certainly isn''t at that high a standard and I mean that as in the leagues are smaller, and play less games and is watched by fewer people world wide. I believe that the championship was recently reported to be the fourth most watched league in the world.At 25 Bobby Convey still has a large part of his career ahead of him and I should imagine that at this stage he would still value a move to a championship club over a move to US football. There is simply more chance of him being spotted by the bigger clubs and more chance of him progressing his career. A move to US football is seen as very much a move for older players that have experienced European football rather than younger ones. Beckham so far is one of the only examples of a player that has come out of the US football system and got a move to a big club and even then it took him some time to regain the fitness levels required.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]He''s going to San Jose Earthquakes ironicallyhttp://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11619496[/quote]

thats where all the has beens end up ;)

jas :)

[/quote]I wonder if Roeder will end up managing them . . . . . . . [^o)]

He would be foolish to go to the MLS if there are Colaship teams willing to sign him.  First the MLS salary cap is punative and even the skint clubs here in the Colaship can pay more than MLS. Considerably more....  Also he is young enough to stay in England.  MLS is where players who can''t hack it in Europe go to pasture.  Hucks is an anomaly... he has talent enough for England but chose to go there out of loyalty to Norwich.

Why is "quality" not a legit answer?  MLS is as good as Championship[/quote]

Very debatable and I''d say the sheer number of teams in the Championship make it a lot more competitive.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]But anyways, the reason he would choose MLS over Norwich is because he would want to play in front of his friends and family[/quote]Having seen some of the footage from Huckerby''s games in the US, that''s about all he''d be playing in front of. [^o)]

Some of the play I have seen on the TV in USA is no where as good as here. You may get a few over the hill wonders but the rest are not as good as the players here.

I don''t think we should go for him, he''s not going to start for us, focus on a CB first.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

are you assuming that beckham joined the MLS for football and not due to friends and money?
or Abel Xavier? who no one would take on after tsking nandralone?
freddie ljungberg?

[/quote

[/quote]

No diss-respect Houston but he played for Reading before they were promoted to the premiership - infact according he signed for them in 2004. I would suggest that history would say if no other offer came in he may be tempted by a move to Norwich.

Without meaning to sound insulting I very much doubt he would return to the US at this point in time. There are many reasons but the main one is age. I think football in the US is on the way up but it certainly isn''t at that high a standard and I mean that as in the leagues are smaller, and play less games and is watched by fewer people world wide. I believe that the championship was recently reported to be the fourth most watched league in the world.

At 25 Bobby Convey still has a large part of his career ahead of him and I should imagine that at this stage he would still value a move to a championship club over a move to US football. There is simply more chance of him being spotted by the bigger clubs and more chance of him progressing his career. A move to US football is seen as very much a move for older players that have experienced European football rather than younger ones. Beckham so far is one of the only examples of a player that has come out of the US football system and got a move to a big club and even then it took him some time to regain the fitness levels required.[/quote]

When he came to Reading, he was on the way up, so playing in the CCC was a great opportunity.  Now he''s been in the Prem for a few seasons, CCC probably doesn''t look so appealing as compared to playing at home.  When you factor in cost of living, there are plenty of MLS teams in cities that would seem down right cheap to living in England.  Plus, the income taxes are so much lower, so he may not get paid as much, but might take home more.  And it''s not always just the "Benjamins" that decide these things.  Having been in the Prem for a few seasons, he could be like Huckerby, happy with the money he''s made and therefore willing to sacrifice some if it means a better quality of life for him (Huckerby went because he didn''t want to play vs NCFC).  If he is good enough that another Prem team will want him, then I would be surprised if he DID come back. 

As for someone else saying MLS doesn''t send players to Europe, you have no idea what you''re talking about.  Landon Donovan, Demarcus Beasley, Tim Howard, and a bunch more played MLS before heading for the Old World. The average MLS crowd is smaller than Norwich crowds, but they are in line with, or close to it, what a typical CCC club draws.  There are others who are on the way, too.

There definately are players in the MLS heading to Europe, but only the top MLS players can consider it.  Generally, the MLS is comparable to League 1.  The quality of play in the CCC is considerbly superior to that of the MLS but that is not to say on any given day an MLS team can win against a stronger side.  The MLS is not proving to be as lucrative as they had hoped, but they are doing the smart thing and taking baby steps in growth so that teams aren''t in as great of financial peril should things really go south. 

As far as quality of life, sure.  If someone really wants to live in the US, then by all means the MLS is an option.  But speaking strictly about football and money, it''s a dead-end unless you are at the very least, an all-star under 28 years old.  

are you assuming that beckham joined the MLS for football and not due to friends and money?or Abel Xavier? who no one would take on after tsking nandralone?freddie ljungberg?[/quote

[/quote]im not assuming you are an idioti didnt say that.but what i DO think is that you go to MLS for moneyeurope for football