Sign in to follow this  
Left Testy

Thomas Helweg

Strave Dinger. Whats football?. seriously, yes of course thats why I go to FCR. And there was me thinking Ince and Irwin were once Internationals too, Silly old me!.

Was your reply a stab at humour by the way?.

Don''t panic Wiz, I just think you''re spending too much time with the subtractive magic lately putting your hex''s on other teams - it seems to have made you very cynical, negative and pessimistic recently!

I will never fall out with you Wiz, worry not - it would be a boring old world if we all agreed all the time! I have been mightily enjoying the debate on here lately, I have to say!

But the point is that Worthy is not moving the goal posts. He is not "saying one thing and then doing the opposite". There was a period where we were linked to a load of OLD players like Keown (37), Sheringham (38), Poyet (36, nearly 37?), Ince (37) etc. Worthy joked that we would have the oldest team in the league and wasn''t looking at building a Dad''s Army! But there is a massive difference between players around 37 and 38, and players around 32 (Charlton) and 33 (Helveg). With todays fitness levels, players can still perform at the highest level up to 35 or 36 if they have the desire. This guy is pure quality, and the only problem I have is trying to keep my hopes down so that I''m not disappointed if it doesn''t happen! A player as good as Helveg around the early to mid-twenty mark would be miles out of our price range. He is still a top player at 33 (as shown by his performance in Euro 2004) and it would be a fantastic signing should it come off. Even if he only gives us 1 years service, he has the quality to help us stay up and would be well worth the wages (which would be high for us I''m sure). With a bit of luck he will be here for more than that though!

I respect your opinion that you "would have prefered other players to Helveg", but I''m completely astounded by it all the same! Can''t imagine who you would prefer to buy who would be a realistic target eg being able to afford a transfer fee (or not), wages, and most specifically convincing them to join us.

Phew, thank gawd for that Temps!. I think I''d set my heart on Primus coming here, and I don''t think it will now happen. Its made me a tad bitter I''m afraid.

I said elsewhere on here today Wiz that I don''t think the Primus deal is quite dead in the water yet - give Worthy chance to get back to work and turn on the old charm again, and I think he''ll still come - anyone for a triple signing press conference?

Templeton, if we got a "triple signing press conference" it would be the best day since all you lucky souls packed yourselves in in front of City Hall, flags and all... This has been a long, protracted, worrying summer guessing and pondering, and I think we all need a bit of good news to life our spirits up in time for Palace...

I''m going to have to take issue with you FF, I''m afraid. Why on earth do you need your spirits lifting? We are about to embark on our first Premiership campaign for 9 long, lean years, the future looks bright (even if there is a relegation in there somewhere), we breezed our way to our first silverwhere in years, we have some of the most exciting talent in football (not too mention young - Green, Shackell, Hendo, Jarvis et al). These are fine days indeed!

Oh, btw, I am in exile, so wasn''t one of the ''lucky souls'' unfortunately!

I realise I''m a bit late in this debate but I thought I''d throw in my two cents- Anyone who can play for Denmark, consistantly and regularly in Euro 2004 must be worth a look. I think some fans think that as soon as a player turns 30 his legs drop off and he ceases to be able to walk! Not the case! Many players in the Premiership play well into their 30s and do a very good job. He''s got some incredible experience and quality. I think if we pulled it off it would a massive coup for this club

Hi DD: I take all your points on board, but at the end of the day I believe the wages will be the final nail in City coffin, regarding Mr Helveg. He was''nt playing for peanuts at his last club you know.

And remember, we broke the bank for Hucks. And I believe this player will want more than that to sign!.

I''m a bit slow on this one too but concur that on balance it would be a great signing.

Lets face it, if he were, say 28, but the same in all other respects he''d be unaffordable.

How else can we we obtain an experienced international who has been playing at a level consistent with the Premiership. Think of the likely spin off benefit too for the rest of the defence having somebody like him around.

The Helveg signing would be a masterstroke by Nige, the chap undoubtedly has both club and international pedigree. I love NCFC but I wonder why Helveg is even talking to us, given his likely wage demands.

I suspect Steen Nedergaard may have had some influence as both he and Helveg started their careers at Odense and may still speak.

Thanks Steeno - if I''m right!

In Euro 2004, the country with the oldest squad was .... Greece. It didn''t seem to hurt them too much.

You''re right, Old Boy. And they had bucketloads of that precious stuff that money can''t buy - spirit and determination. With or without Mr. Helveg (and I would prefer WITH) we will need both attributes more than ever in the coming ten months. I just hope Worthy''s charm offensive works like a dream today so that we can have one of those nice little press conferences in the next couple of days!

I hope he signs. But one thing concerns me from todays article where he says:

"Obviously Italy is my top priority but perhaps it''s a bit of wishful thinking on my part to be able to end my career in Italian football,"

Does he think he''s dropping down a level by moving to the premier league, because that''s exactly what that sounds like?

Maybe something was lost in translation, what do you guys think?

The wages seemed to be the first stumbling block for me too Wiz. However, surely we wouldn''t be wasting our time and Helveg''s time if we knew there was no chance in getting him at all. We didn''t declare interest in players like Izzet or Hasselbaink who would''ve been good signings because we knew we would absolutely no chance of getting them. We must be in with a shout with Helveg

Sorry DD, I have to disagree with you my friend, very rare I know. But after his quotes in todays Pink Un, it sounds very much to me, that Helveg is using City''s interest in him, to stimulate interest from ''bigger'' and wealther clubs. I''ll eat my wand if he signs after this!.

Do You know something Peter?

I would be suprised if he signs. especially after hearing what Worthy had to say on Clubcall last night!.

Make sure Wiz shares some of that wand pie with Zippers Left Foot - from page 1 of this thread....

"The bloke is a top class central defender, 33, currently signed to AC Milan but known to be looking to play for a Premier club. With his ability and pedigree I am sure that his wage demands will be outside our pay structure.

I would love to see him here, along with Drogba, Henry, Viera and Gerrard, and his is just as likely to arrive."

Hang on a minute - do you know something we don''t?!?!?!?!? Is this what Worthy meant by 8 more signings?!?

It is still lunchtime guys - remember that. Perhaps Wiz will want something light - Wand on toast perhaps?!?!

Wiz, I hope you are glad you have proved wrong on this occasion.

OTBC!

Chew, splutter, munch, munch, I knew I should have ordered a damn strawberry flavoured wand Peter!. I some times think Nigel''s a magician as well as a manager.

Fair do to all you posters taking the micky, I asked for it!. But thanks for the chuckle guys. Seriously, a good signing, ok. And thats the best you''re going to get from a wizard with serious indigestion!

If it''s any consolation, Wiz, last summer''s season preview talks about Worthy mastering the dark arts of alchemy, so I don''t think you''re far off with your beliefs!

Its in the bag.......

And for all your doubters Henry was seen a carrow road, yes!

The yorkshire terrier was seen cocking his leg up against a lamp post!!!!