Sign in to follow this  
Left Testy

Thomas Helweg

There is a mention in the Independent and on the BBC website that Norwich are close to signing the Danish International.

What position doe he play?

The bloke is a top class central defender, 33, currently signed to AC Milan but known to be looking to play for a Premier club. With his ability and pedigree I am sure that his wage demands will be outside our pay structure.

I would love to see him here, along with Drogba, Henry, Viera and Gerrard, and his is just as likely to arrive.

OTBC

Do you reckon he can beat Malkay over 100m?

I''m interested by the rumour, but gutted that it seems my Primus hopes have gone down the pan...

Even if he cant beat Malky over 100m his superior abilitywill mean he strengthens the defence. A player like him at 33 isnt so bad - remember that Valencia had three members of their la liga winning/champions league final team having a combined age of over 105.

The main concern would be whether he was here for the gravy train - maybe not so likely from a dane - god there I go talking as if we have a chance in getting him!!!

OTBC

Full story now on Sky Sports,

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1001-1143912,00.html

I too thought about his age, but then if we are gettting him for a free then well why not, and Worthy may be thinking to get people in for the first year to make sure we stay up..

Helveg sounds good.

So it looks like this guy will provide competition for Edworthy RB or competiton for Bentley RW, if NW goes with a defence formation.

So we still need a centre back, PRIMUS and striker, JOHASSON

IFFFFFFFFF we get these three lads in looks like we have a fighting chance!

Sad really spending all our time scowering web sites looking for sniffs of potential signings, the pain we put ourselfs throu, wouldn''t change for the world!

Would be a good signing as he has experiance, is a current international and has played in a top league before (not to mention the fact that he will be free).

I am not to concerned about his age as next season is all that matters at the moment.

Spurs were interested but they have a policy of signing young english players where possible.

I like the way these websites make stories sound set in stone. It''s obviously based losely on a rumour the journos missus heard down the hairdressers.

But let''s put that aside for a moment. Helveg would be a terrific signing, it doesn''t matter that he is 33. You can''t generalise and state that every player over 30 years old is past it. This guy played in every game for Denmark until the quarter finals of Euro 2004 and has been a regular in both the Milanese sides for years. Quality, and he plays in 2 positions we need cover for.

And he''s FREE!!!!!!

HE''S IN TALKS TODAY according to Sky Sports, he prefered Spurs, but their interest has cooled somewhat. Anouncement expected in next 48 hours!

Mind you he''s 33, I thought Worthy was''nt interested in old codgers anymore. mind you, the free transfer proberly helped him make up his mind.

This is exactly the same bloody route Wolves went down, and we all know what happened to them, don''t we?.

I''m very getting very concerned now!.

Wiz, what exactly do you want? You moan when we don''t sign anyone, then you maon about the players we DO sign. Given the budget which the majority of the posters on here are in agreement we have to spend, who would you have bought in?

Thomas Helveg, IMO (for what it''s worth), would be a fantastic acquisition. You cannot compare signing him to Wolves signing Ince & Irwin, not even for a second. This is more of a Bolton signing Djorkaeff or Campo.

Mr Wizard, although I have only been on this board a relatively short space of time, I have noticed you are almost always concerned about something!

I think we are all concerned about the coming season, but Helweg is a quality player with a heck of a lot of experience. This is the first "big-name" we have had strong links with. This is a good thing, not a bad thing, and it''s not the same as Wolves who signed 38 year old Denis Irwin and 37 year old Paul Jones. This guy is still an international class player, who was excellent in the European Champs.

Oh dear oh dear 1st Wizard! I have been sitting in the background reading the posts on this MB and have found myself becoming increasingly peeved by your constant and dedicated pessimism! I don''t think you''d recognise a good signing if it came up and danced the funky chicken 2 metres in front of you!!!

Thomas Helveg would be an absolutely superb signing, and if we did seal his signature it would bear no resemblance at all to the Wolves approach! They signed Paul Ince who is closer to his grave than to being 30 years old! We have signed Charlton who is experienced in the Premiership and has had rave reviews from Bolton fans over the last few seasons, and I hope we are now about to sign Helveg who has played in the top leagues for the whole of his career, not to mention being an ever-present at international level, even at the last tournament!

Now if you think this is would be a bad signing you seriously need to re-focus on who we are and what we want to achieve this coming season. From what we save on not having to pay a fee for his services we will be able to afford his wages. Which won''t be as high as they have been at his previous clubs because I''m sure he realises the perspective between where he has been (AC/Inter Milan) and where he may be heading (Norwich). This signing could be the one that keeps us up, if it''s true, and we should embrace the wealth of experience that he would bring to the side, for at least this one crucial season.

I thankyou.

Thomas Helveg, Danish International!!!!
How can that possibly be compared to Wolves signing the likes of Irwin and Ince.
He''s a quality proven defender and would be a major boost to the squad!!!

My fingers are crossed as he would be a top top signing - played in the Euro championships and did very well. Perhaps we should look at Gerrard, Drigba etc after all!

However my ''1st Wiz'' like pessimistic sensor is going off suggesting that he is trying to kick start some negotiations with the likes of Spurs/Eevrton/Man City for a bigger pay day...

OTBC

Ah, Garrold!!

I see you''ve joined us!! Good point well made, class player IMO... If we could add Primus & Harewood I would even more optomistic for next season!!!

Garrold, out for a jar or 2 tonight?

What a signing,
If Worthy can pull this off it will be comparable to getting Huckerby here permanently when we were in div 1. All of a sudden i sense a renewed optimism for the coming season both on this board and within myself! If we could get him in, then possibly add Primus, and a striker... Not too sure about Johansson, i live just down the road from Charlton and he''s not too highly rated round here. But damn good if the chance of an overhead kick ever rises for all those who like a bit of flair! Fingers crossed!!!

Sign the man up and lets get on with it. The squad is taking shape and its giving me a good feeling in my bones. Were staying up up up!

Have to say, this is the sort of signing I have been hoping we would make. A class player, very fit at 33, played at the highest level and FREE! I just hope it''s true.

Ye Gods!, I''m even upsetting the mighty Templeton now, cheers friend?. I never said Helveg was no good, only quoting Nigels stated policy of prefering not to sign older players.

What part of that did''nt you understand Temps and Co?. Hence me getting concerned.

If Worthy''s now moved the goal posts, fine, I trust him. I just wish he did''nt say one thing and then do the opposite.

Saying that, the second Helveg pulls on the City shirt in the Premiership, if he signs, he''ll have my total support, as will Mr Safri!.

But I am surely allowed an opinion, and I''m not always critical or negative of players you know, I was one of the few who gave their support to Svensson, when most of you were baying for him to be dropped. Or worse, booing him from the Barclay!. Seem to miss that one did''nt you.

In the end, time will tell, yes I would have prefered other players to Helveg, but there you go.

The one comfort you can draw on, is that I have been wrong many times. But there are occassions when my predictions are quite scary too!.

Who knows which is which?.