Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Don't get too carried away...

While I am undoubtedly happy with the Wolves draw and the way things are going under Gunn, it has only been a few games. Threads praising Gunn are deserved but I think we are yet to see both the best and worst of Gunn as a manager. It''s not as if we are safe yet, nor do we necessarily know whether or not Gunn and co will be here beyond the end of the season. This is not to disparage Gunn and his achievements to date, but more to warn against yet another false storm of a Norwich resurgence. Let him prove his managerial quality over a few more games, and judge him more perhaps when we have played 10 games not 4. I would like to emphasise that I am fully behind Gunn and the team, but I for one shall be reserving judgement for a little while at least.

I don''t think even 10 games would be enough to ''judge'' him. After all - 13 game unbeaten run anyone? Let''s just enjoy the current improvement in results/performance and hope that it continues (at least until we get safety).

Sensible chap. If we manage to beat the drop there is still the problem of the club being broke. But the spirit and performance shown yesterday could possibly tempt a buyer if it were to continue and we ended up mid table. Grounds for optimism at very long last though. I wanted Gunny to get the job and think he should be backed even if we hit a sticky patch (remember the back him/sack him debate of Worthy''s first year). But the man seems to spread positive vibes in every direction, with some financial backing, it could be a heady mix. Oh, there I go, getting carried away again.

[quote user="book end"]

Sensible chap. If we manage to beat the drop there is still the problem of the club being broke. But the spirit and performance shown yesterday could possibly tempt a buyer if it were to continue and we ended up mid table. Grounds for optimism at very long last though. I wanted Gunny to get the job and think he should be backed even if we hit a sticky patch (remember the back him/sack him debate of Worthy''s first year). But the man seems to spread positive vibes in every direction, with some financial backing, it could be a heady mix. Oh, there I go, getting carried away again.

[/quote]

Gunny himself says: "Let''s not beat about the bush.  We are still in a difficult situation, not where we want to be. At the very least we need to be where we are no longer looking over our shoulder.  That is the first priority.  That is what I am aiming at, first things first we have to get out of the mess."

I would like to reiterate the sentiment of this post. We can''t get too carried away because of a couple of defeats. Things may seem bleak for NCFC at present, but I for one retain confidence that Gunn et al will steer us clear of danger. All we need is a good consistent run of form, which could quite easily stem from a bit of luck and a win. It''s easy to be pessimistic about the clubs fortunes at present, especially given our fall in to the drop zone this evening, but I am unwilling to concede that we will fall into League One in February, derisory comments on players calling for fight, although understandable are not the correct attitude to encourage. To quote Lenny Kravitz, ''It ain''t over til its over'', and if these players are dedicated to NCFC they will have to fight to the last, it is the least the fans deserve.

Patches, while I admire your optimism and to a certain extent share it,

saying that ''all we need is a good consistent run'' is like saying all I

need to do to win the next olympics 100m final is cut out the pies. 

It''s not quite as simple as that.Also, how many wins or bits of

luck do we need to kick start our season?  Wasn''t the Barnsley game

enough?  It damn well should have been.I hope I am wrong, but any lingering optimism I have is fast fading.