Sign in to follow this  
ca

What changes would you like on this site?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I never like it when a decent topic which has turned into an interesting debate deteriorates into personal spats with two or more contributors

exchanging insults.

This happens a lot.

No names mentioned.

[/quote]

I second that.An interesting thread went pear shaped the other day because of that.

[quote user="Smudgers Armpit"]You know the old swear filters.  Can''t consistently wrong spelling be auto corrected?definately is easily corrected to definitely etc etcA few of those and the message board won''t look as though it is full of mongers[:P][/quote]It could be argued that this is actually quite a accurate picture! One less monger since Smudger went though.

And a spell checker can''t pick up illiterate mistakes like saying "a accurate" instead of "an accurate"! [:$]

And a ban for posters who say would of, could of or should of........instead of HAVE!!![:@]

Oh, and those who say "are players instead of "our players"!!![:@]........

STRING ''EM UP!!![8o|]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Similar style to the Green Un? (which no one uses) [+o(]

[/quote]

That''s the same style as this one, so no.

For me, multiple users. Don''t bring back the emailed moderation, that is so annoying and having to wait, put me off for years from posting as much as I do now.

Why worry about the spelling, as long as you can read it, it shouldn''t matter. You won''t find me saying sorry for my mistakes. Besides, when there is so much going on and your posting, the typing gets quicker and more mistakes are made, last night was a prime example.

automatic life bans for any users posting pro Delia/Doomcaster/Board rubbish. Follow up electric shock treatment for them would be good as well

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Return to moderation.

[/quote]

I don''t agree, since the removal of moderation I''ve posted so much more and I think it means debate doesn''t develop.

New forum Pete?  What''s it going to be like?
[/quote]

So does everyone else opening new threads,  consequently your post rapidly disappears out of sight forced downwards  by duplicated posts on the same topics whereas a moderator could colate them into one thread.

[quote user="lappinitup"]STRING ''EM UP!!![8o|][/quote]What did I do?? Oh, I see.....Gorleston, that''s exactly why I suggested earlier having validation of new threads by the mods, then everyone else can just reply as normal once its been approved.  That way we get to keep the snappy, fun threads but with a little bit of control over how many are started... should hopefully also cut out on Wiz''s attention seeking threads [;)]Oh, and one final thing I''d definitely like changed.................................. that armpit avatar!!! [+o(]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="lappinitup"]STRING ''EM UP!!![8o|][/quote]
What did I do?? Oh, I see.....

Gorleston, that''s exactly why I suggested earlier having validation of new threads by the mods, then everyone else can just reply as normal once its been approved.  That way we get to keep the snappy, fun threads but with a little bit of control over how many are started... should hopefully also cut out on Wiz''s attention seeking threads [;)]

Oh, and one final thing I''d definitely like changed.................................. that armpit avatar!!! [+o(]
[/quote]

Yep I go along with that E.M.

[quote user="Linus"]This website and forum epitomize why PHP > ASP

PHP is generally more reliable in that PHP coders know how to program for the web and that the PHP application is more stable (not to mention Linux vs Windows as a server operating system)

I''ve been a regular at the archant websites for years now and I''ve forgotten how many times I''ve seen the error connection terminated, not to mention getting Application errors on this board.

I''m a web developer and if my website''s went down even one a month, no matter how long for I would be in deep shite.

Now I''m sure this is not what you had in mind when you made this thread but I really think you should look at the people who maintain the website - it doesnt even validate!

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinkun.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
http://www.ocawa.com (for WCAG)

That means it does not comply to UK accessibility laws!

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-accessibility/uk-website-legal-requirements.shtml

So all in all I think you can sum up this post as... change the whole thing to make it more reliable, more feature packed and more accessible.

:D

[/quote]

I tryed reading this but soon got bored on about the third line, are you a real person or a robot?

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Return to moderation.

[/quote]

I don''t agree, since the removal of moderation I''ve posted so much more and I think it means debate doesn''t develop.

New forum Pete?  What''s it going to be like?
[/quote]

The forum is still moderated...

Still very early days yet so nothing concrete.

[/quote]

Concrete Pete, does it mean I''m back to a chisel and slab!!

Not much really. As said an edit button would be good. How about the posts being listed on views per hour, as opposed to posts? That way, a topic that everybody was interested in would stay high on the board - and those that just clog it up would drop of the front board pretty rapidly.

[quote user="Delias Well Behaved Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[quote user="Linus"]This website and forum epitomize why PHP > ASPPHP is generally more reliable in that PHP coders know how to program for the web and that the PHP application is more stable (not to mention Linux vs Windows as a server operating system)I''ve been a regular at the archant websites for years now and I''ve forgotten how many times I''ve seen the error connection terminated, not to mention getting Application errors on this board.I''m a web developer and if my website''s went down even one a month, no matter how long for I would be in deep shite.Now I''m sure this is not what you had in mind when you made this thread but I really think you should look at the people who maintain the website - it doesnt even validate!http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinkun.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0http://www.ocawa.com (for WCAG)That means it does not comply to UK accessibility laws!http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-accessibility/uk-website-legal-requirements.shtmlSo all in all I think you can sum up this post as... change the whole thing to make it more reliable, more feature packed and more accessible.:D [/quote]

I tryed reading this but soon got bored on about the third line, are you a real person or a robot?

[/quote]Ha, mostly real person - but being a web developer has a weird effect on people...----- You can stop reading here ---------To the person that said validation is not important - I understand your position, I didnt think much of it, I thought it had no practical use but there are more browsers in the market standards help provide the same experience across all browsers. Those new browsers are pushing things forward and ms is actually trying to support them - having validate code is the best way to ensure forward compatibility. Then there''s all that accessibility stuff, which I don''t really care about but a company running a large website should.PS another flaw - you can''t quote anyone with single quote in there name, that''s hilarious

I think most of the trolls, binners and troublesome posters could be stopped by using some

kind of ''Captcha'' system on signup reckon a four or five letter word should be

enough. Pretty sure if you can''t pass a Turing test we don''t want to hear from you. An edit button.An ''ignore'' feature.Find all posts by, threads started by ''user'' search facility or even just an advanced search facility.User registration confirmation email.

Not quite sure how i missed the facebook thread but have now joined the pinkun messageboard group - its an ace idea - still waiting for Wiz and Smudger to join up tho...!!

I would like to see 4 or 5 well respected users elected to loosely moderate the site.  Not so much in terms of removing and approving posts but more to start interesting discussion topics.

It would also be good to maybe have sub topics off a main topic, that would be a decent way of keeping all the posts about the same subject in one place.

This forum though is one of the best of the net IMO.

[quote user="cityangel"]

If we could make a list of changes that we''d like to see on this site to improve it what would yours be?

Mine would be to ask everyone who''s just about to start a new thread to spend 2 mins looking at the front page to make sure that there''s not one there already on the same subject?

[/quote]

I really don''t see that it matters CA. For me I would like to have the use of a "spell checker" but even that really does not matter. I am sure this Board is very successful so why change it? Nothing gets up my nose more than going into the Supermarket to find an item has been moved elsewhere. Abetter choice of icons might be helpful tho.

IMO 4-5 ''Forum Daddies'' would be a mistake.  Consistency would be the biggest problem,  Pete would have more complaints than what he has now.ie say 2 or 3 of these forum daddies don''t like Wiz, they''ll try and gag him all the time.  I don''t mind Wiz myself except for starting new threads to say the same thing, BUT there''s several others who do that all the time anyway.

Definitely more control on trolls and flaming. I think it means more forum discipline by users but also strict moderation after the event to delete the abuse and control multiple threads. But I guess Archant''s budget wouldn''t stretch to anything which increases cost. particularly in the current climate.

Better search tools would be handy.

I agree with an edit button and something to deter posters with multiple user names - maybe a system whereby once you sign up your first 10 posts have to be moderated before you can just post like everyone else.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]That the most of posters actually go to the games[/quote]My hometown (Worcester) is about 185miles from Norwich. I am currently volunteering in Turkey for the next 8 months - I have spent my whole life only managing to get to 6 or 7 games a season, I was there when we put Bayern out, I was a mascot when I was 8 or 9 and went to my first game before I was even 3 years old. The Pinkun has been my homepage for about 5years and I have given up every Saturday since the creation of Canariesworld to listen to the games, including during my early teenage years when hanging out in town on a Saturday was a big social event....and you''re telling me my opinion is less valid than someone who happens to have been lucky enough (in my opinion) to live in Norfolk/Norwich and has easy access to every game? Tw*t.