Sign in to follow this  
ca

What changes would you like on this site?

If we could make a list of changes that we''d like to see on this site to improve it what would yours be?

Mine would be to ask everyone who''s just about to start a new thread to spend 2 mins looking at the front page to make sure that there''s not one there already on the same subject?

Edit Post?Probably been mentioned a million and one times but it''s painful to see people making double posts or correcting themselves after they''ve posted and might allow people who make the odd spelling mistake to correct them.Knot taht aneones komplaned aboot taht befor.

[quote user="Ringo"]Edit Post?Probably been mentioned a million and one times but it''s painful to see people making double posts or correcting themselves after they''ve posted and might allow people who make the odd spelling mistake to correct them.Knot taht aneones komplaned aboot taht befor.[/quote]What about the ones who consistently spell words wrongly without realising?

[quote user="cityangel"]

If we could make a list of changes that we''d like to see on this site to improve it what would yours be?

Mine would be to ask everyone who''s just about to start a new thread to spend 2 mins looking at the front page to make sure that there''s not one there already on the same subject?

[/quote]

Yes, I have to agree with that Angel.

The recent spate of Posts on Jamie Cureton was a perfect example of what you are saying. Most of the posts could have been added to existing threads.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

I agree in principle CA. The problem I''ve found before is with threads that veer off from their original titles or simply have very vague or misleading titles. The world and his wife might be talking about the merits of Jamie Cureton on a thread that started "Last Night" or similar but it''s difficult to know that if you haven''t been into every thread, and so I may end up inadvertantly starting one called "Jamie Cureton?" which is essentially the same as the discussion on "Last Night".

However, I know what you mean as it is annoying to see multiple threads on the same topic, and any eradication of this would be helpful.

[quote user="Smudgers Armpit"][quote user="Ringo"]Edit Post?

Probably been mentioned a million and one times but it''s painful to see people making double posts or correcting themselves after they''ve posted and might allow people who make the odd spelling mistake to correct them.

Knot taht aneones komplaned aboot taht befor.
[/quote]

What about the ones who consistently spell words wrongly without realising?
[/quote]

They should be publicly flogged in the centre circle at half time. It would be more entertaining than the "crossbar challenge".

You know the old swear filters.  Can''t consistently wrong spelling be auto corrected?definately is easily corrected to definitely etc etcA few of those and the message board won''t look as though it is full of mongers[:P]

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Return to moderation.

[/quote]I don''t agree, since the removal of moderation I''ve posted so much more and I think it means debate doesn''t develop.New forum Pete?  What''s it going to be like?

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Return to moderation.

[/quote]

I don''t agree, since the removal of moderation I''ve posted so much more and I think it means debate doesn''t develop.

New forum Pete?  What''s it going to be like?
[/quote]

The forum is still moderated...

Still very early days yet so nothing concrete.

[quote user="paul ncfc"]Is there someway to stop multiple user names and the constant changing of user name?[/quote]Moderated name changing etc.!

[quote user="paul ncfc"]Is there someway to stop multiple user names and the constant changing of user name?[/quote]Human Rights,  telling posters they can''t change their name is being dictatorial.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Definatley the amount of posts/threads that are exactly the same!! Grr!

[quote user="Smudgers Armpit"]You know the old swear filters.  Can''t consistently wrong spelling be auto corrected?definately is easily corrected to definitely etc etcA few of those and the message board won''t look as though it is full of mongers[:P][/quote]There''s an idea. I think swear filters normally just change the fucking swear words for stars though. The bastards.Although it was a nightmare trying to quote the above post for some reason. Kept saying Non matching quote blocks in post when there wasn''t? Looks like it was the '' in Smudger''s Armpit.

[quote user="paul ncfc"]Is there someway to stop multiple user names and the constant changing of user name?
[/quote]

I though Pete said a couple of months ago that changes of name wouldn''t be possible very soon.

How about approval on starting new threads?A spell-checker built into the forum software.Complete ban for posting under multiple accounts (with certain exceptions of course - ie Robert Mugabe and Alf Stewart - always fun!)The addition of ''no attention seeking'' to the forum rules.......

Not trying to force anyone into giving their true identity if they don''t want to, just think it would stop the we8 brigade and the one very offensive one from last month.

[quote user="Colchester Canary"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s a user problem rather than a forum software issue though....

[quote user="paul ncfc"]Not trying to force anyone into giving their true identity if they don''t want to, just think it would stop the we8 brigade and the one very offensive one from last month.[/quote]No one is ever forced into giving their real name, surely?  There''s been a few ''where do you live'' or ''what job do you do'' threads over the years which have always been fun, and of course there''s the new Pinkun Facebook group in which most people have revealed their identities.  But I don''t recall anyone ever being forced into giving their name and anyone who does and then proceeds to annoy and abuse people is just asking for trouble......

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="Colchester Canary"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s a user problem rather than a forum software issue though....

[/quote]see what I mean

I never like it when a decent topic which has turned into an interesting debate deteriorates into personal spats with two or more contributors

exchanging insults.

This happens a lot.

No names mentioned.

EM , I posted earlier in the thread that something could be done about multiple user names and wanted to try to clarify that to remain anonymous could still be maintained. (and probably made a pigs ear of it)

This website and forum epitomize why PHP > ASPPHP is generally more reliable in that PHP coders know how to program for the web and that the PHP application is more stable (not to mention Linux vs Windows as a server operating system)I''ve been a regular at the archant websites for years now and I''ve forgotten how many times I''ve seen the error connection terminated, not to mention getting Application errors on this board.I''m a web developer and if my website''s went down even one a month, no matter how long for I would be in deep shite.Now I''m sure this is not what you had in mind when you made this thread but I really think you should look at the people who maintain the website - it doesnt even validate!http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinkun.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0http://www.ocawa.com (for WCAG)That means it does not comply to UK accessibility laws!http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-accessibility/uk-website-legal-requirements.shtmlSo all in all I think you can sum up this post as... change the whole thing to make it more reliable, more feature packed and more accessible.:D 

[quote user="paul ncfc"]EM , I posted earlier in the thread that something could be done about multiple user names and wanted to try to clarify that to remain anonymous could still be maintained. (and probably made a pigs ear of it)[/quote]No its my bad, I misread your post... I''m going to blame a lack of punctuation and then run away with my fingers in my ears... [;)]

[quote user="Linus"]This website and forum epitomize why PHP > ASPPHP is generally more reliable in that PHP coders know how to program for the web and that the PHP application is more stable (not to mention Linux vs Windows as a server operating system)I''ve been a regular at the archant websites for years now and I''ve forgotten how many times I''ve seen the error connection terminated, not to mention getting Application errors on this board.I''m a web developer and if my website''s went down even one a month, no matter how long for I would be in deep shite.Now I''m sure this is not what you had in mind when you made this thread but I really think you should look at the people who maintain the website - it doesnt even validate!http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinkun.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0http://www.ocawa.com (for WCAG)That means it does not comply to UK accessibility laws!http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-accessibility/uk-website-legal-requirements.shtmlSo all in all I think you can sum up this post as... change the whole thing to make it more reliable, more feature packed and more accessible.:D [/quote]Urgh, I studyed with I guy all he banged on about was ruddy Validation!