Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 III

Tactical change?

Carney seems an odd signing, given that we have Wes, Matty, Lapps, Eagle, Bertrand and Bell all capable of filling in there.

Is it possible that Gunny is looking to make a tactical change to accomodate Wes in his roving role?

Marshall

Otsemobor Doherty Purse Bertrand

Bell Clingan Carney

Hoolahan

Cureton TargetMan

Bell and Carney both play more centrally and could support Sammy in a 3 man midfield whilst allowing Semi and Bertrand forward, and letting Wes go where he likes? Could be the cue for Croft to go however. And is Carney going to give us anymore than Matty Pattison? I''d be surprised. Odd decision, be interesting to see how it pans out.

it''s also possible we will use Carney as a wing back!

Where he plays for Australia.

I think a tactical change is quite possible because I can''t see Hoolahan being dropped to the bench.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]it''s also possible we will use Carney as a wing back!

Where he plays for Australia.

I think a tactical change is quite possible because I can''t see Hoolahan being dropped to the bench.[/quote]If we are to play wing backs then you would defenitely need another centreback in! Having said that:MarshalCentrebacks: Grounds, Doherty, DruryWing backs: Left - Carney/Bertrand, Right - Semi/SuziCentre midfield: Clingan at the heart in the middle sitting a little deeper than the others, with a choice of Russell, Patty, Fotheringham or even have Patty and Clingan sitting with Hoolahan free in front of them to rove just behind the strikers?Strikers: Cureton and one of Cort or Lupoli.I know it is a wild stab but if we sign Purse I can see Doherty being used as a target man when we need it . . . if we don''t get in a replacement between now and the summer.

I think they might play 4-4-1-1 if he get''s a bigger striker or Cort suddenly gets better. I would prefer this with Omozusi, Doherty, Grounds or Another, Bertrand, Croft or preferably Bell on the right, Clingan and Russell in the middle, Carney on the left, Hoolahan in the hole and a bigger striker up front, maybe Cody, Cort or someone else.This can be defensive when we don''t have the ball, offensive when we do with, all the midfield capable of getting in the box to support the front 2. We can revert back to 4-4-2 when Wes is knackered with Jamie or Lupoli coming on if we''re not winning or Pattison or Fozz coming into midfield if we''re winning.   

[quote user="Jim Kent"]it''s also possible we will use Carney as a wing back! Where he plays for Australia. I think a tactical change is quite possible because I can''t see Hoolahan being dropped to the bench.[/quote]

I got shot down a couple of weeks ago for suggesting wing backs on here. Apparently the fans would go mad if we played a potential 5 at the "back". Ive always thought Semi was a wing back and not a right back, but what do I know, im sure you missed my tenure with England?!

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]

[quote user="Jim Kent"]it''s also possible we will use Carney as a wing back! Where he plays for Australia. I think a tactical change is quite possible because I can''t see Hoolahan being dropped to the bench.[/quote]

I got shot down a couple of weeks ago for suggesting wing backs on here. Apparently the fans would go mad if we played a potential 5 at the "back". Ive always thought Semi was a wing back and not a right back, but what do I know, im sure you missed my tenure with England?!

[/quote]Ahh you see you said it wrong. 5 across the middle and they would all agree . . . . [8-)]

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="M.A.T.T"]

[/quote]

Ahh you see you said it wrong. 5 across the middle and they would all agree . . . . [8-)]
[/quote]

Lol! Ok, I think we should play 5 accross the middle and have wing backs, what do you reckon?

[quote user="M.A.T.T"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="M.A.T.T"]

[/quote]

Ahh you see you said it wrong. 5 across the middle and they would all agree . . . . [8-)]
[/quote]

Lol! Ok, I think we should play 5 accross the middle and have wing backs, what do you reckon?

[/quote]

Agree with you M.A.T.T. wigbacks is not a bad option, but we need a targetman that we can rely on then don''t we?

[quote user="Flecky"]Agree with you M.A.T.T. wigbacks is not a bad option, but we need a targetman that we can rely on then don''t we? [/quote]And, perhaps more important, three centre-backs who don''t go missing for entire games.  So far we have only one, and it sounds like that''s the Doc!* Purse could certainly add some much-needed muscle and awareness, but what of the other CB? Can''t see any of our other defenders being tactically aware enough to play as a ''back 3'' (not a ''back 5'', of course [;)])*Incidentally, who would''ve thought, on that dark day of Worthy''s dismissal when Doherty was similarly sent walking for the infamous rugby tackle, that we''d be saying that in a few years....

Wingbacks is an interesting idea, and assuming we get Purse, then a central 3 of Doherty and Purse, with Grounds perhaps using his greater mobility in the sweeper role, it might work.

[quote user="Flecky"][quote user="M.A.T.T"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="M.A.T.T"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree with you M.A.T.T. wigbacks is not a bad option, but we need a targetman that we can rely on then don''t we?

[/quote]

Brilliant! Where were you guys a couple of weeks ago when I was getting shot down!lol! :) We do need 3 good centre backs and it''s a good point about a target man although a fully fit Carl Cort might work but I fear that prospect is a long way off! I think Bertrand and Carney could be good on the left, Semi on the right and possibly Croft playing behind a target man?