Sign in to follow this  
NCFC since 1986

David Carney

[quote user="Lambo"]Why all the Croft praise? He''s improved no-end but my god his end product is dire. I love his passion and commitment but last night shows that if someone wants to give us 500k for him we should take it, use Bell on the right and get some quality delivery and use the cash to sign the striker we need.[/quote]

Absolutely right.If someone offers £500K for croft we should snatch their hands off!

[quote user="Lambo"]Why all the Croft praise? He''s improved no-end but my god his end product is dire. I love his passion and commitment but last night shows that if someone wants to give us 500k for him we should take it, use Bell on the right and get some quality delivery and use the cash to sign the striker we need.[/quote]I think I agree with this. I nearly had a seizure when Croft last night, in acres of space having gone around the defender, had loads of time, should have comfortably seen Rusty running for the near post and lofted a cross over everyone to the opposite flank for Wes to collect. I think if a deal is available for Crofty of between £750k - £1mil, I''d take it.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]Just what we needed - yet another player on loan.[/quote]Kennedy, Sibierski and Lita have all returned to their former clubs, remember. That leaves us with Omozusi, Grounds, Bertrand, Lupoli, Koroma and now Carney.  Last night, the squad contained just three loanees - Grounds, Bertrand and Lupoli.

Personally I''m quite pleases with this signing hes a better left winger than any we have in the squad and it means Hoolahan can be played in the hole wheres hes alot more effective. Should give us a good balance which we havn''t really had this season and hopefully means we will be able to get more crosses into the box from both wings. I believe Crooky worked with him at Sydney so he obviously knows what hes about , lets hope he does well.  We Want Worthy/Lappin will not be pleased though.

Must say agree with Beauseant, Lambo and ''monkey, re Croft. Puts in great effort and can entertain but last night he showed his weaknesses I thought.

My fear is the Bell situation. Is Gunny protecting his ankle? Bell should have replaced Crofty 60 minutes into the game.

Anyhow new signing seems a good risk to me. Considering the drive and ambition of our board I was expecting a 35 year old midfielder from Wortwell Reserves

Could prove to be a good signing as he could play wide left which would allow Wes the freedom to play with out leaving us too exposed. Although obviously a striker and a centre back should be priority!

Is he the same sort of player as lappin though? Perhaps he''s quicker, better at crossing and could score more.

Then again.. perhaps we should wait to see him play. Helps that he''s coming with the recommendation of crooksy i would have thought

people often say we need a striker and we need a defender, but I think we also need to strengthen our midfield too, so let''s give him a chance.

I respect the opinion of both former Socceroos manager Guus Hiddink, and current manager Pim Verbeek. Both have had David Carney in the first team since before the 2006 world cup.

He''s quick, a better crosser than anyone we currently have, and he''ll work all day.

Why only a loan though? If we can''t afford to sign him, then we are in serious trouble in the funds department.

I do admit its great to have someone from the Green & Gold playing in the Green & Canary, so maybe I am a little biased.

My feeling and sorry if it has been said earlier, but can''t be bothered to read everything here, but Bell will be off and maybe that swap deal with Ward is on the cards, if not, I would say get rid of Croft for the reported 500k and put Bell on right hand side. Last night summed up Croft last night for me, plenty of effort, the odd look of danger but no end product. Sorry, I think Croft is a good player, but if he is going to walk away at the end of the season for free, then as a club we would be stupid to turn down a bid for him.

Forgot to add, yes, we need to strengthen in defence and attack, but if a player comes up elsewhere, that Gunn likes and feels we need, then why should we not be getting them in? Answer is of course we should be getting them.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="Phil E Stein"]Just what we needed - yet another player on loan.[/quote]

Kennedy, Sibierski and Lita have all returned to their former clubs, remember. That leaves us with Omozusi, Grounds, Bertrand, Lupoli, Koroma and now Carney.  Last night, the squad contained just three loanees - Grounds, Bertrand and Lupoli.
[/quote]

Lupoli doesn''t count as a loan player either. Koroma isn''t going to play again for us. Gunny seems to have decided that Semmy is a better option than Omozusi so there is room for a couple of decent loan players - Carney seems to be OK. I do suspect that one of our midfield may be out - most likely Croft or Bell which would possibly finance a couple of signings.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="Phil E Stein"]Just what we needed - yet another player on loan.[/quote]Kennedy, Sibierski and Lita have all returned to their former clubs, remember. That leaves us with Omozusi, Grounds, Bertrand, Lupoli, Koroma and now Carney.  Last night, the squad contained just three loanees - Grounds, Bertrand and Lupoli. [/quote]

Lupoli doesn''t count as a loan player either. Koroma isn''t going to play again for us. Gunny seems to have decided that Semmy is a better option than Omozusi so there is room for a couple of decent loan players - Carney seems to be OK. I do suspect that one of our midfield may be out - most likely Croft or Bell which would possibly finance a couple of signings.

[/quote]I think this may be more of a long term idea. It looks like he isn''t wanted / needed at Sheffield Untd and maybe we want to have a closer look at the guy to see if come next season he would be a good squad member. Lets remember that Bertrand is more than likely going back to Chelsea and I think this time we will be lucky to get him again considering the other teams that were rumoured to be interested in him in the run up to January. I think that if he isn''t kept at Chelsea he would be sold or loaned to a bottom half of the prem / newly promoted team.Maybe Carney will provide another option that may be more viable? As for out and out wide left men we only really have Lappin. Hoolahan is not an out and out winger and Pattison is happier in the middle of the park. Add to this Fotheringham is out of contract in the summer and for all we know could already be gone . . . .Come the summer we will look like this:GK: Marshall, Nelson, RuddRB: OtsemoborCB: Doherty, StefanovicLB: Drury, Eagle?RW: Croft (out of contract), BellCM: Clingan, Russell, Patty, Fotheringham (out of contract)LW: HoolahanSTR: Cureton, CortI think Gunn is looking further forward than just this season and he needs to to some extent. If we can get a couple of players in on loan that could possibly lead to being permanent then at least we know they will play hard to earn a move. Ideally I would like to see us try and sign Loopy but I am not sure it will happen now - he may be too miffed off.We almost have as many goal keepers as recognised defenders! We need to get some depth into the squad and I think maybe some youth team players could do this - the likes of Adeyemi and Renton. But if that is the case they need to go out on loan in the same way the guys we have been getting in have - with a recall clause. I say that because at the moment the level of football they are playing is not good enough to make them good understudies, Spillain and Martin are at least getting regular first team football and getting good reports for it as well from some corners.

I can say that while I was In Australia I used to watch the Hyundai A League every week, Sydney were on the TV most weeks during the first season launch of the league due the fact they signed Dwight Yorke as their Marquee Player and so I did see alot of Carney. He was exceptionally good in his time their, and was one of the best players in the A League.

Now the problem is the A league was quite poor to say the least, so it is hard to gauge how he would really fair in the Championship and I have not seen him play for Sheffield Utd.

He had an excellent left foot, good at set pieces and the short, quick passing game suited his style. I wouldn''s say he was slow, but he never looked like he had a turn of pace that could turn defences around. So relied more on accurate passing, crossing (A bit like Beckham - SAID WITH TONGUE FIRMLY PLACED IN CHEEK) 

Anyway hopefully he can be a valuable member of the squad.