Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Good business...

David Bell''s transfer to Coventry will prove to be good business for us, if the money from the sale is fully re-invested in the playing squad, and I''m not talking about loanee''s wages.

For starters, I didn''t actually think we was any good. Sure, he put in the odd half-decent cross, but he had no pace, no ability to take on and beat his man, and most importantly, we have better midfield players in the squad than him.

If the money raised is used to buy a forward (or a defender) in the last few days of the window, then it could be a decent bit of business for us...

OTBC

[quote user=The Voice of the Thorpe Area]

If the money raised is used to buy a forward (or a defender) in the last few days of the window, then it could be a decent bit of business for us...

/quote]

Don''t necessarily disagree with your view, but it is a huge "if".  As usual we are leaving any moves in until the last minute and the board do not have a good track record on re-investment.

[quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"]

David Bell''s transfer to Coventry will prove to be good business for us, if the money from the sale is fully re-invested in the playing squad, and I''m not talking about loanee''s wages.

[/quote]I disagree.He was the one decent dead ball taker in the squad.And we''ve loaned Carney as his direct replacement.Crap business.The money''s probably off to fill the Turner-shaped hole.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"]

[/quote]I disagree.He was the one decent dead ball taker in the squad.And we''ve loaned Carney as his direct replacement.Crap business.The money''s probably off to fill the Turner-shaped hole.[/quote]lol, did you see how rubbish his corners had become! They never beat the first man! I don''t think he''s a bad player, but a also don''t think he''ll be missed all that much. He got nowhere near my 1st XI with Croft and Hoolahan occupying the wings. Clingan can take better Penalties, Free kicks and Corners anyway. If anything, i thought we could do with a better set piece taker. It''s clear that Hoolahan and Crofts strengths are Dribbling and short intricate passing, like most of our team seem to be based around. A technically better version of Fozzy is needed, or perhaps Clingan will prove good enough.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"]

[/quote]I disagree.He was the one decent dead ball taker in the squad.And we''ve loaned Carney as his direct replacement.Crap business.The money''s probably off to fill the Turner-shaped hole.[/quote]lol, did you see how rubbish his corners had become! They never beat the first man! I don''t think he''s a bad player, but a also don''t think he''ll be missed all that much. He got nowhere near my 1st XI with Croft and Hoolahan occupying the wings. Clingan can take better Penalties, Free kicks and Corners anyway. If anything, i thought we could do with a better set piece taker. It''s clear that Hoolahan and Crofts strengths are Dribbling and short intricate passing, like most of our team seem to be based around. A technically better version of Fozzy is needed, or perhaps Clingan will prove good enough.[/quote]You''ve forgotten Simon Lappin too...

and Robert Eagle... ..."I''ll get my coat" - to quote someone on here!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"]

[/quote]I disagree.He was the one decent dead ball taker in the squad.And we''ve loaned Carney as his direct replacement.Crap business.The money''s probably off to fill the Turner-shaped hole.[/quote]Mr Chops - that is not true. Carney is a left winger - Bell was a right winger played out of position due to the form of Croft and the lack of form from Hoolahan and Fotheringham (which saw Patty switched inside). As for the "one decent dead ball taker" I beg to differ - Clingan and Patty are also capable free kick / corner takers. I don''t see how a player that played barely a handful of games can be claimed to be missed already!

I liked Bell, but clearly he was unhappy here, we made a (small) profit and we have a replacement in Carney who''s out of contract at Sheffield at the end of the season. The loan makes sense to me as it gives us a chance to have a good look at him, and if we like what we see get him for nothing over the summer.

There may be nothing in this but...when the swap "deal" with Coventry was leaked some weeks ago, of Bell going to Coventry and Elliot Ward coming here, it was said Coventry would be willing to let Ward go once they had signed his replacement - a Scot called McPake.This from the official Coventry site today:COVENTRY City Football Club are set to complete the signing of Scottish defender James McPake tomorrow.

The club have agreed an undisclosed fee with Scottish Division One

outfit Livingston for the 24-year-old who is expected to complete a

three-and-a-half-year deal with the Sky Blues tomorrow subject to

international clearance.

[quote user="The Voice of the Thorpe Area"]

For starters, I didn''t actually think we was any good. Sure, he put in the odd half-decent cross, but he had no pace, no ability to take on and beat his man, and most importantly, we have better midfield players in the squad than him.

OTBC

[/quote]

what a tragically misguided person you are. for starters Bell was one of the few players we own, and you support selling him? for seconds you are naive enough to believe that we will invest the money in the playing squad???????????? did you become a City fan yesterday, or have you been brainwashed regarding what has happened the last 50 times we sold a player?

Guess what? our super band of freebies have just gone 1 down to the mighty Doncaster! of course we don''t need players like Bell, silly me, whatever are Coventry thinking of.