Sign in to follow this  
Worsencroft

Bryan Gunn - Mr Positive

Listening to Gunn''s recent post match comments he has come

across praising the players for their effort and attempted to put a spin on two

draws against teams we really should have beaten. I think this really underlines

the task any manager had coming in post-Roeder, the players confidence had been

ruined by a man void of any personal skills. Many of you critics may see Gunn

as a soft option, a man who cannot bring himself to say a bad word about anyone at the club.

However at present I believe everyone involved with Norwich

needs to get fully behind the club regardless of off-field activities. Yes, I

am in agreement that a change on the club''s hierarchy is needed but not at the

expense of League One football; which would surely cripple us. Consequently, I

propose that everyone should get behind the team until we know if Norwich

maintains their position in the second tier of English football. Lets put aside

our disagreements over the future ownership/management of this club and provide

the team with the 12th man we need, because we can''t afford to purchase one in

this window! Cullum and any other wealthy benefactors is an unrealistic option

this season so come on let’s get behind the boys and stop all this pessimism.

After all I doubt whether any of you truly believes League One is the best

option for future progress.

You wrote a lot of stuff there, Chris, but I think the point needing to be made is that we should support the new managerial team before we attack it.  At least give them a chance no matter how doubtful you are. We have yet to lose with Gunn, and maybe he can turn some of his playing career magic for next week.  Until it goes "tits up", I gotta stick with this. 

That leaves a tough position to be in.  We need a new board no matter what happens with Gunn, but if he succeeds enough, the board will be untouchable. I want Gunn to succeed but I also know the board is rubbish.  How can I get my cake and eat it too?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

You wrote a lot of stuff there, Chris, but I think the point needing to be made is that we should support the new managerial team before we attack it.  At least give them a chance no matter how doubtful you are. We have yet to lose with Gunn, and maybe he can turn some of his playing career magic for next week.  Until it goes "tits up", I gotta stick with this. 

That leaves a tough position to be in.  We need a new board no matter what happens with Gunn, but if he succeeds enough, the board will be untouchable. I want Gunn to succeed but I also know the board is rubbish.  How can I get my cake and eat it too?

[/quote]

If in fact the team is successful under the new manager how can the Board be rubbish. The Board will then have made the right choice and quite rightly will be untouchable. From my point of view I believe it is a pretty good Board anyhow. Roger Munby and Neil Doncaster are standing outside the Ground , in the cold and rain, talking to the fans before every game. Wynn Jones is doing the same in the Gunn Club meeting members and talking matters through. Where else do you get such openess from the owners of any club, anywhere? Delia Smith is up in London earning a crust with the BBC and ever ready to put her hand in her purse to support the Club financially yet again. If you got to the matches with Smudgers 20,000 sheep (of which I am one) you would realise that the fans are doing their bit supporting the team and the Board. There are perhaps a 100 moaners who use this message Board who don''t go to matches, don''t soak up the atmosphere, don''t properly support the players, management and club. You are too far away and being influenced by them HC. Get to the matches HC. Join the true supporters clubs where the members have to put their hands in their pockets and mix with the Mr & Mrs Believers and you will soon be writing different posts.

[quote user="Bobert"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

If in fact the team is successful under the new manager how can the Board be rubbish. The Board will then have made the right choice and quite rightly will be untouchable. From my point of view I believe it is a pretty good Board anyhow. Roger Munby and Neil Doncaster are standing outside the Ground , in the cold and rain, talking to the fans before every game. Wynn Jones is doing the same in the Gunn Club meeting members and talking matters through. Where else do you get such openess from the owners of any club, anywhere? Delia Smith is up in London earning a crust with the BBC and ever ready to put her hand in her purse to support the Club financially yet again. If you got to the matches with Smudgers 20,000 sheep (of which I am one) you would realise that the fans are doing their bit supporting the team and the Board. There are perhaps a 100 moaners who use this message Board who don''t go to matches, don''t soak up the atmosphere, don''t properly support the players, management and club. You are too far away and being influenced by them HC. Get to the matches HC. Join the true supporters clubs where the members have to put their hands in their pockets and mix with the Mr & Mrs Believers and you will soon be writing different posts.

[/quote]So Bobert.Care to put your money where your mouth is and define to us what you class as ''succesful'' please?Avoiding relegation?Recovering and gaining promotion next year?Mid table mediocrity?Relegation but re- promotion after a few years?Midtable mediocrity in the 3rd division?Avoiding relegation from the 3rd division?Where do you set the bar or do you like some others lower it gradually with each failure

[quote user="Bobert"]

If in fact the team is successful under the new manager how can the Board be rubbish. The Board will then have made the right choice and quite rightly will be untouchable. From my point of view I believe it is a pretty good Board anyhow. Roger Munby and Neil Doncaster are standing outside the Ground , in the cold and rain, talking to the fans before every game. Wynn Jones is doing the same in the Gunn Club meeting members and talking matters through. Where else do you get such openess from the owners of any club, anywhere?

[/quote]Meeting and greeting, shaking hands and saying "thanks for coming" is not the same as openness.

Does open-ness mean agreeing with every conspiracy theorist or telling it like it really is?  Football in general has no money and those who are spending what they haven''t got are living in a fools paradise.  The board have kept this club afloat financially in troubled times.  They have backed a succession of managers as best they can.  No manager or team is guaranteed success.  There are many clubs who envy what we have achieved over the last 50 years.  This isn''t being complacent as I am not happy with the recent managerial and on field soap opera but I hope a realistic view of a difficult position.  If you are going to criticise at least offer a realistic, achievable and possible alrenative please.

[quote user="Tommy Gunn"]So Bobert.Care to put your money where your mouth is and define to us what you class as ''succesful'' please?Avoiding relegation?Recovering and gaining promotion next year?Mid table mediocrity?Relegation but re- promotion after a few years?Midtable mediocrity in the 3rd division?Avoiding relegation from the 3rd division?Where do you set the bar or do you like some others lower it gradually with each failure[/quote]Given the number of forecasters here that have "inside knowledge" are predicting certain relegation followed by administration avoiding that would be a good start! As for ambition, I don''t want to be at the bottom end of the Championship but I''d rather be here than in League One - how about you?

I''d rather have a new board......as a great white shark has bitten a huge lump out of the current one - and the solitary club wetsuit is beginning to perish....and fall apart at the seams.....

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="Tommy Gunn"]So Bobert.Care to put your money where your mouth is and define to us what you class as ''succesful'' please?Avoiding relegation?Recovering and gaining promotion next year?Mid table mediocrity?Relegation but re- promotion after a few years?Midtable mediocrity in the 3rd division?Avoiding relegation from the 3rd division?Where do you set the bar or do you like some others lower it gradually with each failure[/quote]Given the number of forecasters here that have "inside knowledge" are predicting certain relegation followed by administration avoiding that would be a good start! As for ambition, I don''t want to be at the bottom end of the Championship but I''d rather be here than in League One - how about you?[/quote]I would accept mid table mediocrity as being succesful this year. Next year I would look to recovery and a promotion bid or in the least a top ten finish as being succesful.This would mean that a ''succesful year'' this year would be classed as unsuccesful next year to me.Maybe I just want more from the team at the end of the day it''s as much about the standards we set ourselves as to whether we are individually happy or unhappy with our teams performances. league position is simply the yardstick by which to measure.Bobert is one who I feel sets the bar a tad on the low side in my opinion, what he classes as succesful I personally do not.

Sorry Bobert but I don''t agree with your insinuation that because we have 20,000 turn up every home game that confirms their backing of the board.

From where I sit, Upper Barclay, I know of no one who supports the board. With the people I travel with and meet before the game, not one supports this awful board.

Funnily enough, I also don''t agree with your assumption that those who criticise the board are, in the main, those who don''t go to games. On the contrary, I feel just the opposite!

''Tis a funny old game ''int it?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Sorry Bobert but I don''t agree with your insinuation that because we have 20,000 turn up every home game that confirms their backing of the board. From where I sit, Upper Barclay, I know of no one who supports the board. With the people I travel with and meet before the game, not one supports this awful board. Funnily enough, I also don''t agree with your assumption that those who criticise the board are, in the main, those who don''t go to games. On the contrary, I feel just the opposite! ''Tis a funny old game ''int it?[/quote]

Well there you go Bury Yellow. You learn something every day because I sit in the Upper Barclay!

Success for a Football Club in my opinion is about giving the fans a good day out and giving those same fans pride. Pride to wear their colours. NCFC does that for me.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Sorry Bobert but I don''t agree with your insinuation that because we have 20,000 turn up every home game that confirms their backing of the board. From where I sit, Upper Barclay, I know of no one who supports the board. With the people I travel with and meet before the game, not one supports this awful board. Funnily enough, I also don''t agree with your assumption that those who criticise the board are, in the main, those who don''t go to games. On the contrary, I feel just the opposite! ''Tis a funny old game ''int it?[/quote]

LB season ticket holder and I don''t support the board either, neither do 2 of our friends who also are ST holders and sit in the LB.

Is it not great to have a Manager who is positive, not interested in making sly comments about individuals.  Managing a football club is so much about man-managment; how to talk to players, the press etc.  God bless you Gunny!