Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Who needs Bell!

The on-loan Middlesbrough defender headed in from Lee Croft''s cross in

the second half to cancel out Paul Heffernan''s opener on 23 minutes and

earn the Canaries a deserved draw.
that is all!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The on-loan Middlesbrough defender headed in from Lee Croft''s cross in

that is all![/quote]There really are some f@cktards on this message board.
Lee Croft this season:

GamesGoalsAssists
David Bell:Games    Goals   Assists19               0           7

Bell created 7 goals in 19 appearances (including only 12 starts).Croft has created 3 goals in 28 appearances.So who needs Bell?  Any team which requires more than a hit-and-hope approach to crossing the ball.

Note that including goals and assists that they are level. Crofty works 100% for 90 minutes. Bell worked for 10 minutes, at a push. Yes he was talented but he didn''t want to play for us. I''d rather see, crofty on the wing and the money spent on a CB.

[quote user="go-on-gunny"]Note that including goals and assists that they are level. Crofty works 100% for 90 minutes. Bell worked for 10 minutes, at a push. Yes he was talented but he didn''t want to play for us. I''d rather see, crofty on the wing and the money spent on a CB.[/quote]Very unfair.a)Croft has played 28 games, usually starting, compared to Bell''s 19 of which 7 were as substitute.b) Bell was playing through an ankle injury which needed operating onCroft is all effort, huff and puff, but Bell had some class about him and I am sorry he''s gone.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="go-on-gunny"]Note that including goals and assists that they are level. Crofty works 100% for 90 minutes. Bell worked for 10 minutes, at a push. Yes he was talented but he didn''t want to play for us. I''d rather see, crofty on the wing and the money spent on a CB.[/quote]Very unfair.a)Croft has played 28 games, usually starting, compared to Bell''s 19 of which 7 were as substitute.b) Bell was playing through an ankle injury which needed operating onCroft is all effort, huff and puff, but Bell had some class about him and I am sorry he''s gone.[/quote]But in my mind there''s no doubt Croft is rapidly improving as a player, whereas Bell has a niggling injury which has affected him for nearly a season - who knows for how much longer?I was quite disappointed with losing Bell - but with Hoolahan and Clingan in the squad I think we have the ability to put in decent crosses now. Bell simply didn''t want to be here, so decent business.

I think they complemented each other. Crofty has the pace and ability (sometimes) to go past a player. Bell had the crossing ability and technique.

You can say "the player didnt want to be here", so we had to let him go, but for me its yet another "lfriendly Norwich" capitulation. Look at Blackburn holding onto Santa Cruz, clearly very much against his will, while we''ve just let go one of our few decent, contracted players, without so much as a whimper. Gunny seems to be just as lily livered as many of his predecessors.

All in all a bad piece of business.

In getting rid of Bell, we have lost the one decent dead ball/set piece taker we had.  His corners and free kicks were right into the danger area almost every time - hence his 7 assists in 19 appearances.  Trust me, we will miss him.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The on-loan Middlesbrough defender headed in from Lee Croft''s cross in

Lee Croft this season:

GamesGoalsAssists

Bell created 7 goals in 19 appearances (including only 12 starts).Croft has created 3 goals in 28 appearances.So who needs Bell?  Any team which requires more than a hit-and-hope approach to crossing the ball.[/quote]Croft has also scored 4 goals so is responsible for 7 goals to the cause. This Bell is more productive than Croft argument is ludicrous.Croft''s value to the team is so much more than Bell''s ever was due to his workrate and defensive work, he''s running from the right back area out to the corner flag helps out the defense, and he does this throughout the game. All Bell ever did was put in some good crosses. His defensive work was abysmal and he showed zero effort and committment at times.

We''ll maybe see how ''pump'' he actually is - when he more than likely plays against us when we ''entertain'' Coventry.....Sometime soon.

Im not saying Bell was rubbish, on the contrary i was gutted he was sold as he in an excellent addition to the squad and provides something different to Croft. If we had a decent target man bringing him and Bell on for a different tactical approach would have been a fantastic weapon. It would have given Gunny an option one game to say to croft, work your ass off for 60 mins and you can knock off early, then bring Bell on for a different approach.oh well.

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The on-loan Middlesbrough defender headed in from Lee Croft''s cross in

Lee Croft this season:

GamesGoalsAssists

Bell created 7 goals in 19 appearances (including only 12 starts).Croft has created 3 goals in 28 appearances.So who needs Bell?  Any team which requires more than a hit-and-hope approach to crossing the ball.[/quote]Croft has also scored 4 goals so is responsible for 7 goals to the cause. This Bell is more productive than Croft argument is ludicrous.[/quote]In what sense is it ludicrous?  The stats don''t lie.  Bell was on the pitch for nine games fewer than Croft, and yet created seven goals - the same as Croft has scored/created with far longer on the pitch.  Add the fact Bell was playing through an injury and on the left hand side, not his preferred position, and I think the argument he was *not* more productive than Croft is actually fairly ludicrous.People get fooled by Croft because he runs his arse off for the cause, and good for him, I like that, but that doesn''t automatically make him any better.

I for one most certainly do not get ''fooled'' by Crofts workrate. His overall contribution to the cause is greater than Bells. His defensive work is invaluable given the weak RB''s weve had all season.This was evidenced quite clearly when Bertrand was in poor form and Bell played left wing. We were conceding lots of goals from the left and teams were hurting us from there. Bell provided zero backup to Bertrand.While i agree Crofts crossing is at times poor and at best percentage crosses as opposed to picking out a head, his overall contribution has been greater. 4 goals, lots of defensive work, contstant outlet of attack for the midfield, 110% every match. This is why he has been picked.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]WHO NEEDS BELL? http://www.hollywoodpsychotherapist.com/JANUARY.html < Him?[/quote]Haha, that made me laugh so much! I am a little disappointed that David Bell has been sold as I thought he looked a good player. I was surprised to see how many assists he actually made in his limited appearances. However, if manage to keep a hold of Croft and if this Carney player is any good then we shouldn''t miss Bell too much.

Clingan can take the set pieces better than Bell, from what i''ve seen from both of them. At Forest last year, i went to the leeds game, and they all got dead exceited when Clingan was over the ball for free kicks and corners, inevitabley, they got their goal from one of his free kicks whipped into the box. Bell''s assists were probably mainly from these, and Clingan will be just as effective if not better. Croft gives his all and keeps our tempo going so well, every game i''ve seen this season, he''s been our best player going forward by a mile. Plus with Semmy or Snoozy playing RB, we need Crofty to help cover for their shortcomings. I think once the team stops being so static and overly relient on set pieces, Crofty will get a few more assists.