Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Harris

might it help if we went down?

I am increasingly thinking that it might actually help us in the long run to go down.For the last few years we have struggled to avoid relegation and in doing so been very short sighted. Look at us now.
  • New manager again 
  • Half a squad 
  • The rest being loans with no real commitment to the club who will disappear at the end of the season
  • No youngsters coming through the ranks
  • Morale clearly low after struggling for years
  • No money for new players
The pressure is always on to win the next game, we are constantly looking over our shoulder at the horror of the drop. I fear we will end up going down sooner or later and only then realise what a mess we are in.We need to build for a long term future. We have a great, loyal fanbase who will largely stay with us through thick and thin. Give us something to be hopeful about
  • Bring through the youngsters
  • Buy up and coming players from lower leagues and lower prices rather than waste money on expensive short term Premiership loans
  • Build back the spirit and pride
  • Stick with a manager with long term ambitions
But let''s start it NOW, not the end of the season. If we go down we go down. If we want to have success we have to build for the long termOTBC

No!

Some valid points on the way fwd with no money, but gates and income would drop further.

I would rather have a team of loanees battling in the Chumpionship than be a team battling in Div 1.

There is a happy compromise however with a lower no. of loanees and at least giving 1 or 2 of the youngsters a start now and then. I''m sure they wouldn''t let us down given the opportunity.

No it wouldn''t help if we went down. We''d take years to get back up, it would cost a fortune in tv revenue and ticket sales.

We need to hang on in there in the Championship.

I''ve had the same thoughts in that it might be useful to us to clean it up a bit, and a team with Martin banging the goals in, Spillane ticking us over, and Rudd stopping the goals sounds brilliant, but i''m sure like me, u don''t really think it would help us!

Relegation would be devastating, especially during the current financial climate......Would the Chief Exec hang around and still court his current salary? Will we still attract 20,000+?......etc, etc.....

More importantly, will we have to downsize the club restaurants?.....

totally OT but chopper Harris that''s the sort of Player we need right now, He''d keep us up.Keep him off the kareoke though he''s awfull

[quote user="Chopper Harris"]I am increasingly thinking that it might actually help us in the long run to go down.
For the last few years we have struggled to avoid relegation and in doing so been very short sighted. Look at us now.

• New manager again 

• Half a squad 

• The rest being loans with no real commitment to the club who will disappear at the end of the season

• No youngsters coming through the ranks

• Morale clearly low after struggling for years

• No money for new players
The pressure is always on to win the next game, we are constantly looking over our shoulder at the horror of the drop. I fear we will end up going down sooner or later and only then realise what a mess we are in.
We need to build for a long term future. We have a great, loyal fanbase who will largely stay with us through thick and thin. Give us something to be hopeful about

• Buy up and coming players from lower leagues and lower prices rather than waste money on expensive short term Premiership loans

• Stick with a manager with long term ambitions

But let''s start it NOW, not the end of the season. If we go down we go down. If we want to have success we have to build for the long term

OTBC

[/quote]

Next space ship will be leaving shortly if you hurry you could get a seat on it

If we go down there''s every chance we''d struggle to stay in League One. The club''s asset value wouldn''t be affected very much so Delia''s share value would be OK which might explain why she doesn''t appear to give a stuff about how the team do on the pitch. I believe we''d be more likey to head into League 2 than back to the Championship.

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

Relegation would only help if it brought about a change in the boardroom, and I don''t think it will.

[/quote]

My thoughts too Percy, only administration would sought that!

Relegation wouldn''t help at all!

People who say this seem to think that we''d coast through League 1 winning it easily and then we''ll soon be back in the championship. How we''ve played this season believe me we would seriously struggle to get in the League 1 play offs!

Crowds would be lower as would interest!

The small clubs in the Division would raise thenselves to play us!

We can change the way the club is run and rebuild for the future with a different policy while in the Championship!

[quote user="Chopper Harris"]We need to build for a long term future. We have a great, loyal fanbase who will largely stay with us through thick and thin. Give us something to be hopeful about
  • Stick with a manager with long term ambitions[/quote]
Why do we have to be relegated before we start doing those things? We should be doing them now

If it was guaranteed that we would do a Leicester and come straight back up by a country mile, then you MIGHT have a point - but Leicester are the exception that proves the rule. Historically, most big clubs struggle in the third tier - even Manchester City had to get promotion via the play-offs in 1999. I think we would be like Leeds or Nottingham Forest and stay down for two or three seasons.