Sign in to follow this  
Spin Spin City Again

Surely Kirs Renton is better than Darrel Russell up front?

Is it really fair to throw the lad in at the deep end that is a relegation battle?

But I agree, he can''t do any worse than what we''ve got at the minute.

Considering Darel Russell is league 2 standard as a striker, then if Kris Renton isn''t good enough to get ahead of Russell, it doesn''t bode well for his career... Signing a centre back and striker before the end of the transfer window is absolutely necessary. If we don''t, the probability of us being in league 1 for the first time in almost 50 years is growing by the day sadly.

I don''t like this "he isn''t ready" mentality about younger players that we got from Worthington and Roeder.If he isn''t ready, then he isn''t good enough and why is he (Renton, or anyone) still here? The old adage "if they''re good enough, they''re old enough" is one of the cliches of football, but its spot on.Southampton have thrown kids into their first team in recent years-Walcott, Bale, Surman to name a few.Charlton put a 16 year old in against us, Barnsley have played a winger in their first team who was 15 when he made his debut!Leeds have done so in White and, very notably, Fabian Delph, they are under enormous pressure to go up, but the players have been given the chance-in front of 20''000 plus Leeds fans, now thats tough-and they have taken it.I suspect no-one at those clubs said that they had better not play them as it might be tough, the fans might get on their backs etc etc. The clubd have faith in the players, they have faith in the scouting and coaching networks that has marked them out as good enough for the first team, its then up to the player to respond, he''s a professional footballer, he can either cut it ot he can''t, and, if he''s going to crumble because he has a bad game or some nasty fans have a go at him, then he isn''t going to make it, period.When is the right time to play them? Surely its now as much as at anytime?Renton should have a chance, he''s been around -or so its seems-for ages, he''s over his injury, he got a contract, he now needs a chance to show he is worth it and a new one into the bargain.Ditto the others-Eagle another prime case, still here, still lacking chances and appearences, and with left sided players brought in as well, again, why isn''t he playing or pushing for a place? Is he good enough-then he should be. If he isn''t-ta ta Robert, I suspect that will be the case some May anyway.If Renton is to get a shot, he''ll never have a better chance than now. But if he doesn''t, then he''ll be another one gone.

He had a nasty leg break last year. Perhaps they are concerned about playing him in the Championship where he is likely to be roughed up?

Yes he is a much better prospect as a striker than Russell, but I will be amazed if the management allow him to play.  It would appear that the new team are following suit and giving those players who got us into this position a chance to get us out.  I often hear people say that they might be given a chance once we are safe, but I can see us strugggling right up to the end of the season.

A classic opportunity to put Renton on the bench was the home game against Soton, when we had a home crowd of 25,000, but the manager chose to put Bell on the bench, presumably having already agreed to sell him to Coventry.

We have got some good youngsters who beat Arsenal in a reserve game, but you need a brave management team to actually give these youngsters a chance.  Cureton who is supposedly an accomplished striker, has missed two sitters in the last two games; I would argue that Renton could at least equal that, and he is younger, fitter, faster, and Scottish.

If we had to play a youngster upfront I''d prefer it to be Luke Daley because at least he looks like he''s got the pace to worry teams. Not convinced Kris Renton has got enough about him to make an impact. Whereas Darel Russell, while not being a striker, is an experienced player who will put himself about and can get you a couple of goals.

When you look at what other clubs produce Walcott, Delph and Evans for 3 examples and then you look at the youngsters we''ve hyped up in recent times you realise how far away we have been. Although we do have a few young players who look a bit better than some we''ve had over the last few years but still nobody that looks outstanding.

For anyone who wasn''t there last night darel russell was awful, and the most valuable thing he doen for the team was come off. A player who is distinctly going throught the motions

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]Considering Darel Russell is league 2 standard as a striker, then if Kris Renton isn''t good enough to get ahead of Russell, it doesn''t bode well for his career... .[/quote]

It probably one of two things:

a) Not yet physically ready for regular first team football, it took Bellamy a couple of seasons from 3 sub appearances to being a regular

or b) Not a good idea to put a kid into a relegation battle

Give  him  a  go  as  sub  coming  on  for  the  last  half  hour  at  home. If  he  cannot  take  that  then  there  is  little  point  persisting  with  him we  may  be  pleasantly  surprised

If Norwich had what I consider to be a "proper" Reserve team philosophy of putting out a dozen or so teams graduating in age the problem would not arise in that there would be an older "Reserve" ahead of Renton in age and ability ready to take the "strikers" role. The Reserve teams need to be taken out of the control of the First Team Manager and they should become a "profit centre" (Accountancy jargon for the old Cost Centre) for the club. The Manager(s) of the Reserve Teams would be free to recuit players of all ages under contracts and free to sell them ( Norwich City having first refusal of course). Profits would go to fund expenses and pay the wages of the Reserves and the Managers. The First Team Squad would be free to play for the Reserves but in  such cases the Reserves would recive an in house fee and vice versa.

All Reserve teams would play at least one match every week against teams of similar quality. The top Reserve team playing at Carrow Road under match day conditions with the winner taking a £500 pot funded by ticket and draw sales. Opposition would be drawn from East Anglian Teams and if necessary from other Norwich City teams.