Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Auto renew season tickets! How desperate is our club?

can you believe the club auto-renew season tickets unless YOU contact them. i pay by dd which i think quite a lot of fans do and they are so desperate for our money they will automatically renew it by feb 21st unless you say not to. i wasnt even going to open the letter they sent a week ago...lucky i did as i would have had a season ticket whether i wanted one or not!!

CTID OTBC

[quote user="glove1"]

can you believe the club auto-renew season tickets unless YOU contact them. i pay by dd which i think quite a lot of fans do and they are so desperate for our money they will automatically renew it by feb 21st unless you say not to. i wasnt even going to open the letter they sent a week ago...lucky i did as i would have had a season ticket whether i wanted one or not!!

CTID OTBC

[/quote]

To be fair, it did state in last yr''s ST stuff that this would be the case this time around.........

Direct debits continue unless they are stopped by the account holder.

Standing orders continue for the number of payments set out at the date of set up with your bank.

Sorry i cannot see why people are upset because this is how the banking system works whether you are purchasing a product from Norwich City or the likes of DFS or Currys for example.

As Glove1 has pointed out it was in "last years ST stuff" so it just highlights the need to read the small print no matter what you are signing up to.

Here endeth the lesson.

I really cannot see a problem - and this just seems like yet another way to bash the board/club for doing something that is perfectly sensible: I have several annual subscriptions via direct debit that automatically renew, and which can be stopped whenever I wish - for my Cricket club, 2x professional memberships and 2x publications.  In what way is it ''desperate'' for the club to start operating in a way that normal business has been doing for years? 

In fact, the amount of administration involved in issuing and processing 11000 forms (being the number currently using the direct debit scheme) - not to mention unnecessary form filling for supporters - must have been extremely costly to the club, and was largely time and money wasted. 

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I really cannot see a problem - and this just seems like yet another way to bash the board/club for doing something that is perfectly sensible: I have several annual subscriptions via direct debit that automatically renew, and which can be stopped whenever I wish - for my Cricket club, 2x professional memberships and 2x publications.  In what way is it ''desperate'' for the club to start operating in a way that normal business has been doing for years? 

In fact, the amount of administration involved in issuing and processing 11000 forms (being the number currently using the direct debit scheme) - not to mention unnecessary form filling for supporters - must have been extremely costly to the club, and was largely time and money wasted. 

[/quote]

Y''mean, money wasted like those glossy yellow an'' green sheets with the OTBC lyrics on them - that were shoved on every seat for the Barnsley game? 

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Y''mean, money wasted like those glossy yellow an'' green sheets with the OTBC lyrics on them - that were shoved on every seat for the Barnsley game? 

[/quote]

what about that glossy publication that came with the season ticket renewal form? you know the one, it had a player called David Bell on pages 14 & 15, saying how great it was that the Norwich City fans were so loyal and turned out in such numbers and how great it was to play in front of us, to encourage us to renew our season tickets. Now of course sold to Coventry

CTID OTBC

To be fair, it did state in last yr''s ST stuff that this would be the case this time around.........

--------------------------------------------------------------

May be any solicitors can comment but I think the club may be on a legal sticky wicket with respect to contract law. There are two elements to a contract, an offer and an acceptance. They have made the offer in contract terms but they cannot assume an acceptance in legal terms. So if you dont positively respond and they start the debit debits you may be able to say no to a season ticket renewal later in the summer. Please check with a solicitor before relying on this post.

do you always sign up to things before reading it through. Obviously not old enough to have any insurance policies or household bills to pay as this is how the world works.

Try reading the information given to you before using a stupid oversight by yourself to bash the club

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

Auto renew is used by others (because they rely on peoples apathy not to look around for other suppliers re insurance etc.) but it doesnt alter contract law. There has to be positive (not assumed) acceptance for a contract (for the 2008-2009 season) to exist. 

[/quote]

At the end of the day it doesn''t really matter.  Whether it is strictly ''correct'' in the eyes of the law is largely irrelevant unless someone legally challenges it - and I can''t see anyone needing to seek recourse in the courts.  If anyone misses the deadline I don''t doubt the club will refund any money taken.  At the end of the day, all parties to it are fully aware what is happening.

Brilliant initiative by the club. Far better that people who are not going to renew suffer the inconvenience of having to contact the club rather than the loyal supporters who now can simply do nothing and just wait for the postman to deliver next years ticket.

I think you will find you agreed to this arrangement when you signed the direc debit agreement last year. (of course you read the small print didn''t you?)

At the risk of being described as a "board basher" I think its a rather cunning and cheeky move by the club.  But hey, its perfectly legal so who am I to complain?  I have to be honest and say I didn''t know they were doing this and I reckon a fair few others don''t.

I''m guessing they won''t auto-renew it for those who just paid it off over the counter last year (such as myself)?  Or are they?

Yeah I noticed that, the cheeky beggers!

Ahh well was gonna renew anyway so saves me having to do anything!! haha

[quote user="jbghost"]The only Auto Renew tickets are the people who paid by 12 month direct debit. These direct debits continue indefinitely until you cancel them.[/quote]

Thanks.  Due to various circumstances beyond my control, I haven''t made a decision yet and may not be able to for a while.  Didn''t want to see £400 disappear without warning - I''ll check the small print in future just in case!

whats the problem  if you want to renew saves a phone call  if you don''t  phone them and tell them to stuff it i bet most people who were on this D D  knew this was the last month to pay for last years ticket so why not read into it a bit further to find out the other consequences

As from a previous poster....insurance companies use this as a easy approach for customers who can''t be assed to check the small print and are happy with paying for what they have...A well known "company" who has v close ties with this club also uses this tactic and works well for them.

Very common sense way doing things I''d say which is a reaon why we continue to sell so many seats despite the team badly underperforming!

If they didn''t do the DD''s to pay for season tickets, many people wouldn''t bother getting a season ticket.

Like others have said DD''s continue until the person tells his or her bank/building society to stop them.

This in turn helps to sell ST''s cause someone debating whether to bother again like I''m sure quite a few currently are, decides that £35-£40 a month is no big deal!