Sign in to follow this  
spm2866

Hoolahan's strop

Well last night was then and this is now..............

Poor game, very poor pitch but once again we turned out in droves...

Mr Gunn will always be a legend but for me its time to see and hear Mr Crook alot more

It wa so frustrating watching City and then to see Hoolahan kick his toys out of his pram when Mr Gunn tried to shake his hand when he was substituted must give us supporters cause for concern.

Is he to be another of Mr Roeders players like Bell and jump ship?

I''m hoping its just frustration due to his poor performance last night but soon we will see......

Anyway its of to Wolves Tuesday, who fancies us stealing something there?

OTBC since 1969

R.I.P. Dad 1939-2008

Disappointing to see Hoolahan''s reaction and I was a little concerned that he was substituted as I thought he gave a pretty good account of himself, but then I thought Matty Patty, brought a new dimension to our play on the left hand side. Hooley sounds like he is a little bit temperamental and a prone to have a sulk, if stuff i''ve picked up on here is to be believed.

He''s prone to tantrums, I remember a game this season (v Charlton in the league?) where he mistimed a pass in their area which went out for a goal kick, then jumped up and down and thrashed his arms about like a child who''d just been told he couldn''t have a packet of Cadbury''s Buttons.

these were the main things that stuck in my head on the way back down the A1 1 the now normal pleasant surprise that so many of us have again bothered to make the trip and stood in the cold in doncaster on a friday night) 2 wes should never have been subbed  - he is probably one of only 2 players who i would be happy for next year''s team to be built around (the other naturaly being supersammy) and to see that he has twice in a row now been taken off for a vastly inferior player who gives you enthusiasm with no ability was criminal and already i''m afraid only adds to my severe worries about gunns tenure (though i''m keeping quite about that for now cos i''m so desperate to be proved wrong) and that it may end in relegation because of hiim, not in spite of his efforts. its a worry that he couldn''t hide his anger at playing a quiet game admittedly, but still knowing if anyone was going to pick the lock to another goals he''s a likely as any other member in the squad.3 what about cureton - he seemed to need to be consoled by bertrand and fotheringham when he was subbed (after missing ANOTHER sitter, the guy is costing us points again, as much as with gunny i hope my opinion of how costly to norwich he is going to prove t be this season, turns out to be wrong) - anyone else see that?

but then I thought Matty Patty, brought a new dimension to our play on the left hand side.??????I am genuinely concerned about that substitution last night, infact, when it happened I turned to my brother and said ''if he isn''t injured that is the most inept tactical decision i''ve ever see''.We bossed the start of the second half, got our goal, and was convinced we were going to go on and win. However, Gunn stepped in, brought off Wes and from then on we showed no ambition to go for the win.Pattison touched the ball twice and failed to track back leaving Bertrand exposed on the left time after time and we nearly conceded.I know a point was a decent result but can''t help but feeling all three were there for the taking.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I wish we didn''t take him off as he does at least try and create things and make things happen. To sub him so soon after the goal was a bit of a surprise.
[/quote]My thoughts exactly.It was his little dink over to crofty that set up the goal all be it just skimmed off the deffenders head.Guess it was a case of making things a bit more solid and taking the point home.

It seems there was a different perspective listening to the radio from being at the game - after Pattison came on he was probably mentioned more than any other player in terms of either being on the ball or making tackles and clearances.

IMO bringing on Patty was probably a response to Donny having brought on Taylor, to add more steel to the m/f which would undoubtedly be needed if they were going to try to take the game to us.  Donny were on fantastic form going into the game, so that has to be considered.  It is not always about winning, at times you first and foremost have to think about protecting what you''ve got.

Just goes to show how different the view people have about the same thing can be. I thought Matty gave us stability and a bit of intelligence, like Clingan does. Yes Wes is skillful,but he''s lightweight and tends to just keep going if he does get past his man . Given that Doncaster seemed to have three men on him a lot of the time, he should have been looking to move the play to whoever was in space if he did get free but he doesn''t look up the way Sammy (and Fozzy sometimes) does.Have to say though that most of the midfield seemed to think that Crofty is 12 feet tall last night, there were several shocking passes to him straight into the stand.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Given that Doncaster seemed to have three men on him a lot of the time[/quote]I thought you''d changed the subject then

Poor performance Spm 2866? Sorry but Wes ran the show last night, constantly searching for the ball, attacking their defence, dribbling (yes) round Doncaster players, setting up incisive passes for his team mates. Always on the go, he never seemed to stop.

The pitch was poor, especially down the wings - but he still ran and created. But for Doc and his MOM performance in defence Wes would have won that accolade from me.

I have no complaints at all. If he was frustrated at being subbed, he wasn''t alone. It''s great to see such passion in a player who''s not been here that long.

Great stuff again Wes, keep it coming.

I''m also quite pleased to see Wes was annoyed at being subbed as it shows he wanted to play.  But I''m also pleased to see that Gunny seemed to have learned from the previous game - Donny were making subs to change things, and he countered it quickly.  For all Wes''s + points, I would much rather have Patty in the game if things were going to start getting tough.

We all have opinions on the game and the players, from my point of view i thought Hoolahan had a "so so" game, yes all his endeavour with his neat touches are great to watch but i find him lightweight at times, last night he was not as bubbly as the previous 2 games, he came across 2-3 players at a time who just simply snuffed out his game.

Its the strop i was most concerned about, for me this kind of behaviour so soon after a new manager arrives does not bode well, its a respect thing....

Does Hoolahan see Mr Gunn as the true manager?

We all have that niggling feeling in the back of our minds when it comes to Mr Gunn, we don''t want him to fail us and tarnish his "Legend" status, we need a rabbit pulled out of the bag in terms of a goal scorer if we are to have any chance of surviving.

With near on a million pounds to play with now after the sale of Eventguard and Bell this has to be spent on a contracted player or 2 to save us from League One obscurity, if we go down we won''t return for some time.

OTBC since 1969

R.I.P. Dad 1939-2008

I thought he created plenty of chances and was full of running, maybe he wasn''t as bubbly as against Barnsley, but Doncaster were slightly better than them and had home advantage, but still think he''s more than worth his place in the team and his time on the pitch, he had both the skill, energy and passion to carry on before being subbed. Yes, he was man marked, because Doncaster had worked out he was one of our danger men supplying chances to the strikers.

I am sure Hoolahan has every respect for the manager, but he didn''t want to come off. He''s not the only one to show his frustration and God, after watching a few of our players just going through the motions week in, week out it''s kind of refreshing to see someone who wants to play.

As for Bryan Gunn. No, I am sure his former reputation won''t be tarnished, wherever we finish. He''s far bigger than that. It will be the board who will receive all the blame, however they try to deflect it. I am more concerned with what will happen with that money than probably who will become the permanent manager, the board pull all the strings and are accountable (or should be) for everything that happens. If they carry on selling and replacing with cheap loans then there is only one direction we are heading in.

[quote user="Seat0123"]

3 what about cureton - he seemed to need to be consoled by bertrand and fotheringham when he was subbed (after missing ANOTHER sitter, the guy is costing us points again, as much as with gunny i hope my opinion of how costly to norwich he is going to prove t be this season, turns out to be wrong) - anyone else see that?
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote user="Quick_J 2472"]is it me or could hoolahan be the next paul mcveigh ? [:P][/quote]I think he has a way to go before he''s that good!

[quote user="Seat0123"]these were the main things that stuck in my head on the way back down the A1
1 the now normal pleasant surprise that so many of us have again bothered to make the trip and stood in the cold in doncaster on a friday night)
2 wes should never have been subbed  - he is probably one of only 2 players who i would be happy for next year''s team to be built around (the other naturaly being supersammy) and to see that he has twice in a row now been taken off for a vastly inferior player who gives you enthusiasm with no ability was criminal and already i''m afraid only adds to my severe worries about gunns tenure (though i''m keeping quite about that for now cos i''m so desperate to be proved wrong) and that it may end in relegation because of hiim, not in spite of his efforts. its a worry that he couldn''t hide his anger at playing a quiet game admittedly, but still knowing if anyone was going to pick the lock to another goals he''s a likely as any other member in the squad.
3 what about cureton - he seemed to need to be consoled by bertrand and fotheringham when he was subbed (after missing ANOTHER sitter, the guy is costing us points again, as much as with gunny i hope my opinion of how costly to norwich he is going to prove t be this season, turns out to be wrong) - anyone else see that?
[/quote]

I agree.  Wes is one of the few players with creativity in the team and when he is playing well should not be subbed.  I said on the match thread that I thought this was a mistake and it also seemed that we came under a lot of pressure after his substitution. When he was taken off against Southampton we created virtually nothing afterwards. 

I personally think Hooly had a poor game last night.  Instead of playing simple balls to his team mates he continually tried to do the fancy dan spectacular, almost always playing us back into trouble.  His strop I wouldn''t get worried about, it''s just part of his "complicated" personality, that thinks a flick from the outside of his boot through the legs of three defenders is more productive than a simple give and go.  A luxury player when winning, but not for the fight we are in at the moment.  Mind you there is no-one else to play so let''s stick with him and pray his loose passing doesn''t always result in a goal for the opposition.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He''s prone to tantrums, I remember a game this season (v Charlton in the league?) where he mistimed a pass in their area which went out for a goal kick, then jumped up and down and thrashed his arms about like a child who''d just been told he couldn''t have a packet of Cadbury''s Buttons.[/quote]Oh chops please.I remember that and my opinion at the time was not that Hoola was acting like a child, but that he was completely frustrated and annoyed with himself at his error.I want to see this from players, it means they share the same frustration that 25000 fans did.

[quote user="shefcanary"]I personally think Hooly had a poor game last night.  Instead of playing simple balls to his team mates he continually tried to do the fancy dan spectacular, almost always playing us back into trouble.  His strop I wouldn''t get worried about, it''s just part of his "complicated" personality, that thinks a flick from the outside of his boot through the legs of three defenders is more productive than a simple give and go.  A luxury player when winning, but not for the fight we are in at the moment.  Mind you there is no-one else to play so let''s stick with him and pray his loose passing doesn''t always result in a goal for the opposition.[/quote]" loose passing doesn''t always result in a goal for the opposition"  - err, please remind me when this has happened? Doc and Gronds and bertrand (who i really hate to criticise) were at fault for last night''s goal. As for wes having a poor game, you''re entitled to your opionion but wes (as someone pointed out in the thread earlier) was integral in our goal, played curo in for that horror miss (#637 for the season) and whilst the atrocious pitch was preventing his clever game flowing, he looked most likely to getus the three points we probably ddn''t deserve though they were there for the taking if we had a striker or a former-glory curo.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Poor performance Spm 2866? Sorry but Wes ran the show last night, constantly searching for the ball, attacking their defence, dribbling (yes) round Doncaster players, setting up incisive passes for his team mates. Always on the go, he never seemed to stop. The pitch was poor, especially down the wings - but he still ran and created. But for Doc and his MOM performance in defence Wes would have won that accolade from me. I have no complaints at all. If he was frustrated at being subbed, he wasn''t alone. It''s great to see such passion in a player who''s not been here that long. Great stuff again Wes, keep it coming.[/quote]

"The pitch was poor, especially down the wings" but Doncaster were coping with the conditions and were using the wings to great advtantage although our 2 of our weakest links are our full backs.

Ryan had a ''mare again last night (and Ots wasn''t much better) and without cover from left-midfield Donny were exploiting it over and over again.

Wes did have a decent game but i think the sub was a tactical one to protect the away point.

I was there last night and am also a very big Hoolihan fan. Here''s a thought

If we wanted to bring of Matty Patty - and I can understand that - why didn''t we bring off Curo and let Wes play just behind Cort. When we bought Lupoli on I can honestly say I put in more effort than he did.

If Lupoli wants a place he needs to earn it for me we ought to let him go.

[quote user="Iwan_09"]but then I thought Matty Patty, brought a new dimension to our play on the left hand side.??????I am genuinely concerned about that substitution last night, infact, when it happened I turned to my brother and said ''if he isn''t injured that is the most inept tactical decision i''ve ever see''.We bossed the start of the second half, got our goal, and was convinced we were going to go on and win. However, Gunn stepped in, brought off Wes and from then on we showed no ambition to go for the win.Pattison touched the ball twice and failed to track back leaving Bertrand exposed on the left time after time and we nearly conceded.I know a point was a decent result but can''t help but feeling all three were there for the taking.[/quote]Were you sat towards the left hand side (where that woman got a load of abuse) on about row U-V? If so I heard you say that :)

Frankly it''s a case of grow up Mr Hoolihan and in the cold light of the day, I''m sure he will realise he threw his toys out the pram and will be quick to appolgise.  Tetchy are these poor footy players.  [:D]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He''s prone to tantrums, I remember a game this season (v Charlton in the league?) where he mistimed a pass in their area which went out for a goal kick, then jumped up and down and thrashed his arms about like a child who''d just been told he couldn''t have a packet of Cadbury''s Buttons.

[/quote]

i remember that! pant wettingly funny it was too!

jas :)