Sign in to follow this  
Scooby

Good or bad so far? Your verdict.

So what do we make of Gunny''s first foray into the tranfer window, good or bad?  Personally I think it looks very promising.

Strikers ; Killen and McDonald in Lupoli out.  Well Killen has to be a good exchange for Lupoli, possibly the bigger strker/target man (although I hate using that phrase) that we need, and a good experienced player.  Shame about Arturo, I liked him but he was never really given the chance and was a little lightweight.  As for young Cody?  I think that''s a great bit of business.  Possibly a fantastic investment, maybe a diamond unearthed from the non-leauges, but definitely worth a punt.  He''s bound to be very keen to make an impressison on, what could be, his only chance in the big time.

Midfield ; Carney and Gow.  Can''t really make up my mind about the Aussie.  Chippy obviously rates him but if he''s not good enough to make another Championship side....?  As for Gow, well, I''d rather not have him, and if that''s 2 in then who, if anyone is out?  Not Crofty I hope.  Just hope Bell is the only one (unless it''s Fozzy of course ;-))  Good sense getting rid of Bell as he''s never really settled and not really produced what was expected of him.

Defenders ; Swapping Leitjer (spelling?) for Omo is a great bit of business.  A much needed experienced Centre half for a young careless liability.  Nuff said.  One more CB should do the trick, Purse or the other lad, can''t remmeber his name now, Andrew something?

So far so good, and well done Gunny.  I''m optimistic but no doubt some are a little less happy....  ???

[quote user="Scooby"]

So what do we make of Gunny''s first foray into the tranfer window, good or bad?  Personally I think it looks very promising.

Strikers ; Killen and McDonald in Lupoli out.  Well Killen has to be a good exchange for Lupoli, possibly the bigger strker/target man (although I hate using that phrase) that we need, and a good experienced player.  Shame about Arturo, I liked him but he was never really given the chance and was a little lightweight.  As for young Cody?  I think that''s a great bit of business.  Possibly a fantastic investment, maybe a diamond unearthed from the non-leauges, but definitely worth a punt.  He''s bound to be very keen to make an impressison on, what could be, his only chance in the big time.

Midfield ; Carney and Gow.  Can''t really make up my mind about the Aussie.  Chippy obviously rates him but if he''s not good enough to make another Championship side....?  As for Gow, well, I''d rather not have him, and if that''s 2 in then who, if anyone is out?  Not Crofty I hope.  Just hope Bell is the only one (unless it''s Fozzy of course ;-))  Good sense getting rid of Bell as he''s never really settled and not really produced what was expected of him.

Defenders ; Swapping Leitjer (spelling?) for Omo is a great bit of business.  A much needed experienced Centre half for a young careless liability.  Nuff said.  One more CB should do the trick, Purse or the other lad, can''t remmeber his name now, Andrew something?

So far so good, and well done Gunny.  I''m optimistic but no doubt some are a little less happy....  ???

[/quote]

Okay so far, slight injury concerns with one player, but at least Gunn is trying.

Generally happy. Still need a centre half and now possibly cover at right back as well, but I''m not disappointed overall.

Would have liked a perm or two more also, but perhaps that''s being greedy. Just worried that we don''t own hardly any of our players.

I''m fairly pleased, we look to have a few options up top with the signings of Killen, Gow and McDonald.

Whats noticable is we''ve signed a few bigger players and offloaded the lightweight Lupoli and Bell

I will admit I am little underwhelmed.  We are in a serious relegation fight and other than to a slight extent Gow & Carney, we have not signed anyone of proven quality in this league.I am optimistic but to be honest that is more out of hope than conviction of belief and the fact we needed 5 players in this window tells it''s own story.

I thought I''d buck the trend of slagging every single new signing on the basis that they''re loans/ too inexperienced/ too injury prone/unproven/have the wrong colour eyes (please delete as required). Gunny has clearly worked his socks off to rebuild the squad to keep us in the Championship. We have at least one experienced centre back (with hopefully another to come), a big target man with a great goalscoring record at Hibs, Gow, who looked superb at Blackpool, and a young , lightning quick striker who could be the best piece of business of them all (and yes, I''ve seen him play). I''ve also seen Carney play for Australia and he also offers us something different. I''d love Iversen, but that may be too much to wish for.

Will it be enough? I don''t know, but I love this club and I''ll get behind every one of the new faces 100% regardless of any misgivings I have may have about the board or Gunny''s management skills. Its  crunch time now, so forget the petty little griping agendas and get behind the team.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I thought I''d buck the trend of slagging every single new signing on the basis that they''re loans/ too inexperienced/ too injury prone/unproven/have the wrong colour eyes (please delete as required). Gunny has clearly worked his socks off to rebuild the squad to keep us in the Championship. We have at least one experienced centre back (with hopefully another to come), a big target man with a great goalscoring record at Hibs, Gow, who looked superb at Blackpool, and a young , lightning quick striker who could be the best piece of business of them all (and yes, I''ve seen him play). I''ve also seen Carney play for Australia and he also offers us something different. I''d love Iversen, but that may be too much to wish for.

Will it be enough? I don''t know, but I love this club and I''ll get behind every one of the new faces 100% regardless of any misgivings I have may have about the board or Gunny''s management skills. Its  crunch time now, so forget the petty little griping agendas and get behind the team.

[/quote]

Very well put Beauseant [:)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]great post...SPOT ON [Y]

Given how little money we have to spend, I think that Gunny has done well, even if Davies does not arrive and we sign no further CB.Macdonald is a "permanent" signing, Gow and Killen could become so as well. There is a risk with all these that they might not work out for different reasons,but I think it''s a risk worth taking.In addition  Leijer seems an improvement on Osmo, and Carney could be very good, providing pace and service down the left.I am sorry that Bell has gone. We never saw the best of him, but we have now have the possibility of crosses being met by tall strikers in Killen and Gow, even if Macdonald is not quite so tall. They can hold the fort up front until we see whether Cort has fully recovered.All in all, pretty good, with a much strengthened side potentially, even if we are wallopped at Molineux!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]top rallying call beau,,,sack the shrink and get you in to work on the squad i reckon!!!

[quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

I''m massively relieved a CB has come in until the end of the season, although I''d be happier if Grounds could also stay until then, or alternatively get Purse in. The fact he''s on the outskirts of the Australian national team hardly fills me with confidence, even if he was a regular I''d be nonplussed. But he''s here and Chippy rates him so as always the slate is clean for now.

But a larger selection of players is good, and I''m glad to see us take a punt on a kid from non-league. Good luck to the lad.

A lot of people on this site  annoy me

So I had to join this forum page and just to say:

Most of these people do not ever go to football games and even before a ball is kicked people are slating the new signings.

I have been to every signle game Home + Away and seen some shocking performances.

I have wasted a lot of my time and money but even with Norwich''s fantastic support  it is important to remember that with the squad we have at the moment we will be doomed.

So fair play to Bryan Gunn with no money and very little time he has tried to bring in as much quality as he can.

The proof is in the pudding. But now with passion in our club we will be fine.

We have not had any passion for a Very Long Time.

I needed to get that off my chest

Thanks 4 listening

OTBC

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

top rallying call beau,,,

sack the shrink and get you in to work on the squad i reckon!!!
[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

Nothing very exciting but in view of the fact we have little or no money I suppose its the best we can expect.

He''s signed a non-league hopeful which many have been crying out for so I guess it shows we are having a look at lower league talent. He may turn out to be another Kightly or more likely a dud, but you never know unless you give it a spin.

The others have been given a chance to earn a full time contract and we haven''t lost anyone important (Croft, Marshall) so all in all I would say its the best we can do under the circumstances.

If we do somehow stay up then Gunn will have the same problem Roeder had at the start of this season - a wafer-thin squad of his own players, without the cash to make the loanees permanent.

We''re lunging from one catastrophe to the next. What happened to all those 3-year plans we used to have!

I think it is a better showing than we have been used to in recent seasons, there are a lot of players there who come to the club without any expectation and I am hopeful that we will see the best of them. McDonald is a gamble but I am pleased it is one which we are taking.

[quote user="Dan NCFC"]

A lot of people on this site  annoy me

So I had to join this forum page and just to say:

Most of these people do not ever go to football games and even before a ball is kicked people are slating the new signings.

I have been to every signle game Home + Away and seen some shocking performances.

I have wasted a lot of my time and money but even with Norwich''s fantastic support  it is important to remember that with the squad we have at the moment we will be doomed.

So fair play to Bryan Gunn with no money and very little time he has tried to bring in as much quality as he can.

The proof is in the pudding. But now with passion in our club we will be fine.

We have not had any passion for a Very Long Time.

I needed to get that off my chest

Thanks 4 listening

OTBC

[/quote]welcome danny bor - a bit of realism mixed in with optimism in your post - and also proof of your commitment to NCFC via your painful journey''s as a travelling fan...sure lets hope the legends have got it right - our league status relies upon it...

Definitely a "Good" from me; the goal was not necessarily to ''excite'' but to get decent players in who could do a job. 

Cancelling the Elliot and Arturo loans was sensible - neither was particularly setting things alight for one reason or another and it seems both have been replaced by equal or better in Leijer and Gow (the latter has def proven himself at Blackpool) - I liked Lupoli but he was rather lightweight and I''m not sure totally up for a relegation scrap; Killen is presumably the ''replacement'' for Sib and will hopefully be far better (if he is worse then God help us!).  As for the others, Cody has potential and is worth a, presumably cheap, punt; add Carney (equivalent to a replacement for Bell) and imo we have already had a decent Window, with 30+ mins left. 

I think Gunn has done a good job in getting the players he has in. It just worries me that they are mainly loans, but i guess his hands are tied financially. If we lose the players whose contracts run out at the end of the season, or any leave in the next half hour, aswell as all the loans going back i make it 12 permanent players with first team experience in our squad. Still hopefully his signings on loan will see us to safety and well all get behind them and worry about that in the summer.

[quote user="Grando"]If we do somehow stay up then Gunn will have the same problem Roeder had at the start of this season - a wafer-thin squad of his own players, without the cash to make the loanees permanent.

We''re lunging from one catastrophe to the next. What happened to all those 3-year plans we used to have![/quote]truth is the board have no real idea as to how the recession will affect their income...it will be clearer when the st renewal figures come through...but yeah - as already said - its back to another massive rebuilding exercise in the summer - and thats no way to prepare for promotion...but is promotion the real stated aim of our board any longer - i reckon its all about survival now imo///

[quote user="Saint Canary"]I will admit I am little underwhelmed.  We are in a serious relegation fight and other than to a slight extent Gow & Carney, we have not signed anyone of proven quality in this league.

I am optimistic but to be honest that is more out of hope than conviction of belief and the fact we needed 5 players in this window tells it''s own story.
[/quote]

Six out five in so far, isn''t it?

Kennedy, Sibierski, Lita, Bell, Omosuzi, Koroma out

Leijer, Killen, Carney, McDonald, Gow in

Wow, most people seem to be fairly positive and even old Wiz hasn''t come in with negative guns blazing! In fact I''m sure I detect a note of thinly veiled optimism there [:D]

As many have said, we''ll have to see.  I can''t see any miracles against Wolves and would be pleased with a point but you never know.  There are places to fight for and I''m sure the new guys won''t be coming to warm the bench. 

Onwards and upwards [^o)]

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]I will admit I am little underwhelmed.  We are in a serious relegation fight and other than to a slight extent Gow & Carney, we have not signed anyone of proven quality in this league.

I am optimistic but to be honest that is more out of hope than conviction of belief and the fact we needed 5 players in this window tells it''s own story.
[/quote]

Six out five in so far, isn''t it?

Kennedy, Sibierski, Lita, Bell, Omosuzi, Koroma out

Leijer, Killen, Carney, McDonald, Gow in

[/quote]

You missed off Grounds from your ''Ins'', and possibly Lupoli from your ''Outs''.

So technically it is 6 and 7 - but I''m not really sure that Koroma is really worthy of an ''out'' mention, so perhaps it is more like a 6:6 - I mean, if you are being picky then Troy was technically ours until the Jan window, I think.

I''m glad that Gunn realised that our squad wasn''t good enough and I hope we''ll not have to endure messrs Cort and Grounds again but I''m disapointed we''re letting the very capable Lupoli go!

Although if hes goes to SheffU and scores goals against our relegation rivals he could actually help keep us up even now!