Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

David Carney named in Australian World Cup Qualifier squad

He''s still listed as playing for Sheffield United though. I suppose lower league transfer news takes a while longer for the media over here pick up.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/kewell-omitted-but-still-in-frame-for-japan-clash/2009/02/03/1233423188420.html

At least Pim Verbeek still thinks he has quality, even if Kevin Blackwell did not. It actually surprised me to see him get picked for this game, as Pim Verbeek stated that players need to be playing regularly at club level in order to get picked for country.

He may start too. He has been starting most games recently on the left wing.

I am not sure if he will start as Pim has a policy of starting players who have been playing regularly. Being a crucial WCQ Tie he might not want to risk him not being match fit. If he had played regularly he would definatly be starting IMO.Sheffield United own him so he is still a Sheffield United player, we only have him on loan.

[quote user="pennywise "]who are australia playing ? the south island bungawunga tribe 1st eleven ?  another 33-0  [:D][/quote]

Japan actually. We are part of this Asian confederation now.

We don''t have the problem of flogging American Samoa and Fiji, and then trying to beat Uruguay anymore.It used to be we''d really only play 2 games a year that mean anything, either against a South American or Asian country.

Football is better in Australia now as a result. Heaps more interest, which can only be a good thing.

[quote user="Mick Dundee"]I am not sure if he will start as Pim has a policy of starting players who have been playing regularly. Being a crucial WCQ Tie he might not want to risk him not being match fit. If he had played regularly he would definatly be starting IMO.Sheffield United own him so he is still a Sheffield United player, we only have him on loan.[/quote]I like that policy.  What better motivation could he have to get and keep a place in our team?

i''ve been in Australia for about two weeks now, pleasantly suprised by the interest in football, alot of people seem to have interest in it.

Cheers Nflk&chanceIn Canberra.... and yeah, stupidly hot, staying with friends who don''t have air con haha.Was in Sydney last week, that was cool as you could just hop in the sea if it gets to warm haha

Norfolk, from the Sydney Morning Telegraph story it looks as if squad members will be playing for their clubs this weekend, so Carney would presumably be available for Bristol City this Saturday, if it goes ahead. Would he be back in England and un-jetlagged enough after the game against Japan to play the following Saturday for us, against Prestion?I see, also, from the Fifa site that Australia are listed as having won three games in your group when only one result (against Qatar) is given. Presumably you''ve had results from the earlier, preliminary groups taken into account in some way?

PC, you''re correct in the fact that we had to qualify through a 4 team group in an earlier phase. We had a tricky little group with China, Qatar and current Asian champions Iraq.

None of the results have carried over though, and we have actually played 3 games in the current group. We''re currently top of Group 1 with 9 points from 3 games in phase. Finish in the top 2 of this group, and we qualify.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/asia/matches/group=250652/index.html

We''re in very good shape, but the Japan games are obviously the big ones in our group, so next Wednesday - Japan away is massive! Get a result there, and we should be almost on the plane to South Africa.

Having such a long drawn out qualification is a little new to us. Like I mentioned before we used to have to play token teams in Oceania (plus New Zealand, who are better than a token team) and then the winner play someone from Asia, or most recently South America. I''m loving having a proper "qualification", which has sparked so much more interest in the sport.

Sorry PC, I only answered half your question.

Players will be available for the next weekends fixtures. Will they be jetlag free and 100%, I can''t speak for. Tim Cahil usally backs up the next week, although I''m assuming he is affected by the trip, as David Moyes always kicks up a fuss whenever he gets called up.

Norfolk, thanks for that info. I misread the table and only saw one Oz result when, as you say, you''ve played three games. It does look good for qualification.