Sign in to follow this  
Old Boy

The forgotten "little man"....

... as he was referred to by Robbo007 in another thread. That got me thinking, where will small Paul fit in the current squad? Will he drop out of sight a bit, like he did in the second half of last season? I''d like to think that having class players around him would make him flourish, but, as I''ve said before, he''s an enigma.

I agree he has been overlooked a little, and feel this is a legacy of him swapping roles at the end of last season.

With Worthy likely to stick to a 4-4-2 and,in my view, very unlikely to play Hux wide left in the Prem (Hux is a potent striker - he would be wasted being asked to do a defensive wide left role) this leaves us with 2 players who can play the left midfield role.

I think WLY will play a key role but not a many games as last year. I think we will see quite a bit of swapping between Brennan and WLY depending on the opposition, strength of their right wing and whether we are winning or losing the game.

Brennan is far more defensively minded although can go forward well, however he is pretty one diminsional. Mcveigh has learnt to work hard defensively but its not a natural thing for him - however he is 10 times the player going forward and was the only midfielder we saw last year to offer any sort of passing ability or creative flair/vision - particularly when picking up Hux movement - that was an effective pairing.

I dont see this as an area to strengthen - we have two reliable players competing for one spot - and suspect most people feel the same - hence little or no discussion about it - the same could be said about Drury for exactly the same reason.

OTBC

Unfortunatlry I think WLY might struggle to make an impression next year. When he first came to the club he was a striker but in recent years has been moved to the left. The only thing is, now we have plenty of cover for both these positions! One thing which didn''t work in McVeigh''s favour last year was that towards the end we played a 4-3-3, wanting to give Sven and Leon a go. I can''t see us risking this formation in the Prem, so there could be another midefield place up for grabs.

Who knows? I certainly would like to see more of McVeigh. He''s a very talented and skillful player with a great eye for goal. I hope he gets his chance along with others next year.