Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

An overview of transfer iiiiiiiiiiiiin outs

Killen:  I have to say I am pessimistic. His record is pretty feeble tbh...or am I just haunted by the memory of Murray and the like? Scottish aquisitions make me nervous these days!

Gow, on the other hand, seems to have proved his mustard and I am much more positive. But I think he is a midfielder and not a striker

McDonald -total gamble. Great idea - we have little to lose. But we cannot expect miracles overnight- the boy is making a HUGE step up

Carney- I expect very little. If he is not able to cut the mustard at Sheff Utd...why do we want him? Think he will get played but frustrate us!

Leitjer- good call. CB needed more than EO- who I felt was prone to lapses of concentration

So in summary:

DEF - slight improvement but still short of the big CB a la Purse

MID: - much the same- Bell was a loss but Gow fills the gap

FOR: WORSE!!!! We lose Lupoli (who scored and was worth a run) and gained Killen - who does not impress me. We are still woefully short of good options

On the plus side I think we will have better shape than before but it is a relgation scrap for me. And I am not certain we have gathered much to really lift us from where we were.

I think Killen has a lot to prove, but I certinatly don''t think we should be overly optimistic or pessimisitic about any signing until we''ve seen them play.

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

Killen:  I have to say I am pessimistic. His record is pretty feeble tbh...

[/quote]

It''s not feeble, in fact it''s not too bad at all.

Sorry a fair run for Aberdeen and then 5th choice striker at Celtic....I do not call that good. After all Murray, Brellier, Lapin et al could boast much the same...and look what they did. Cost a small fortune and delivered precious little.

I reckon you''ve summed it up reasonably. I especiall agre that McDonald is worth a punt and NEEDS TIME!

re the comments on the forward line''s reduction in quality. It''s got to be dependent on Gow''s worth as an attacking player, something we''ll have to wait on I guess? I certainly think we''ll be better off with him in an advanced role than Rusty. Plus - as much as we all had a soft spot for Lupes - he obviously didn''t click on the training ground or amongst the rest of the team etc''. So off he goes.

We play a bit of a waiting game for now but as I''ve pointed out in another thread, I think it''s imperative that we don''t use tonight at Wolves as a yard stick - it''ll be a tough one for sure.

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]Killen:  I have to say I am pessimistic. His record is pretty feeble tbh...or am I just haunted by the memory of Murray and the like? Scottish aquisitions make me nervous these days![/quote]Absolute Tosh tbh.Killen over his career has so far managed a goal ratio of 1:2.21 games, so over the course of a season if he played every game and carried this on, he''d be looking at 20.8 goals.At his best his ratio was actually 1:1.07 (during his time at Hibs), which would equate to 43 goals for the season if he managed that for us.A player who is averaging 20 goals a season, and potentially over 40 is not feeble by any means.Being fair, Murray didn''t really perform for us, although he wasn''t fully fit and hardly got a run of games to improve this, but you can''t judge all players signed from Scotland by this yardstick.If Killen stays fit and performs anywhere near his potential as demonstrated at Hibs, we''ve gota gem of a loan signing, and even if he''s not up to this level, he''s still likely to be more prolific than Cureton.Give the guy a chance, and look at the facts before dismissing him.

[quote]Having seen quite a bit of Carney at Sydney FC, and international level, I think you might be in for a surprise.[/quote]Positive thinking,  Chippy should get the best out of him.

I will meet you some of the way Indy- but the level of most Scottish matches is low, thus the ratios you mention are not entirely accurate for comparisons. We will indeed see, and I may well end up eating humble pie (I hope I do) but I was really hoping for someone more proved - perhaps Iverson? I do think we are weak up front and suggest Wolves will not be too frightened tonight....indeed that is the point I was making. Last time we were up against Wolves - I beleive we had a more threatening forward line.

As I said on another post-

Chris Killen - Hardly prolific in his time in England!?. granted he scored goals for Hibs but am sure most people could score in the Noddy league?!

Alan Gow - Probably the best signing, but again from the Noddy league!. Did well in his short time at Blackpool, but this is possibly his biggest challenge in his career.....

Cody MacDonald - Certainly worth a punt and nothing against that but with the position we are in we should have bought in an experienced striker, twin that with letting Lupoli go who is capable of scoring goals at this level a big gamble...

Adrian Leijer - Another gamble never played a single game in England......

David Carney - Think he will be steady, hopfully half decent some reasonable reports from Sheff Utd fans.

IMHO the team/squad is getting weaker all the time, lets be honest we have lost Lita/Lupoli/Bell/Kennedy/Omuzuzi/Sibierski who from their records are better than the above players. Cost cutting all the time I am afraid lets face it Lita & Sibierski etc would be on probably more money than the new boys. Altoubgh hope I am proved wrong...

Twin this with the fact they have appointed a  very inexperienced manager the board are taking one hell of a gamble with the clubs future considering our current position!

I think that the squad has a bit better look to it now. A more balanced look. It was the right move sending Omuzuzi back home, too much of a dreamer, a poor mans Kenton for me. The departure of Bell was the right move as well, he was too light weight, and any rate, wingers have to be able to beat their man. I am pleased with the signing of Gow, he is proven in this division and has a presence about him and goals in his armoury. MacDonald is a gamble worth taking, the sort we have to take to find and unearth new gems.

But we are in a relegation battle. We do not have time for players to get up to speed and to develop that crucial match fitness. It''s like for Carney, Killen and Leijer, starting the season over again. But we need these players to be able to hit the ground running and fast. In our situation can we really afford to be nuturing the likes of Carl Cort and others, when the battle is already on? And where are the battlers the fighters, those leaders on the park that you need when you are in a relegation battle. I really hope that among these players the fighting qualities come out. But I would had liked to have seen players such as Darren Purse come in who are up for the fight, because however well we play football there will be times we really need to dig in deep and scap for points. And that moves me on again. More loans it is. But I would have liked to have seen a couple more players signed on full time, who were commited to the club, and to the cause, and who would bleed green and yellow, because it matters to them. I hope it does matter enough to Gow and Carney, and that they do impress, and they do end up staying.

So it''s mixed feelings. I think Gunn has done a decent job. We need to get behind him and the team. The battle is on. 16 games to go, and we cannot afford not to survive. We will soon know if Gunn has got it right.