Sign in to follow this  
chichcanary

League 1

New poster here guys

Does anyone have the feeling we are seeing a carefully stage managed relegation to league 1 so we can try to "do a Leicester" and rebuild?

Appointing Gunny to appease the fans a bit if we go down

Bringing over Crook - undoubtedly one of the best I ever saw in my 34 years following Norwich - but coaching at a low level in Australia

Signing a player from the Ryman league!! and various Aussies who have worked with Crook

I can see us going down with Gunn stepping down back to some obscure job in the club with the board saying at least he tried

Crook taking over and buying more McDonald type players with a view to making a cheap squad good in league 1 in a few years to challenge for promotion back to the Championship in 2 or 3 years when Crook will have learnt his trade?

I''m not sure we''re ''stage managing'' relegation to League One but I think we''re definitely making decisions based on the worst case scenario.

The whole management team and the vast majority of players that have been brought in since Roeders sacking are on short term deals. One would presume that this is because we could be in quite a bit of financial strife were we to be relegated. If we have to start over from scratch next season it would presumably be best not to have too many players on long term contracts. Or it could just be that we''re completely skint and this is all we can do. No one knows really, but what are internet forums for if not to speculate?

Whether it''s the best way to get us out of the situation we find ourselves in is of course another argument entirely. I tend to lean towards the argument that the most important thing is to bring in good players and if you can''t afford them permanently then you have to loan them in. I''d rather we brought in some decent loanees rather than bringing in inferior players on a permanent basis but should we be in a the position that we have to make such a choice?*

Welcome aboard Chich [:D]

* There are 3579** threads on this message board that deal with this whole argument so I''m not going to bother going over ot all again................besides I really ought to do some work today [;)]

** I may have made that number up

Thanks for the welcome Shack Attack

Frustratingly for me, I''m exiled in Chichester so only rarely get to Carrow Road so this board is great for hearing about the games etc

Welcome chichcanary.I agree largely with what Shack Attack said - I don''t think the board would ever try to actively get the club relegated (think of the losses in season ticket sales and TV rights, for starters), but like at Southampton, I feel that the infrastructure is being altered to give us the best possible chance of survival in the event of relegation. Pretty much all clubs at this level are having to do a significant amount of belt-tightening, and until we manage to attract new investment I feel the board are just trying to streamline our expenditure to ensure the club continues to be financially viable in the worst-case scenario. If the money''s not there, I feel this is the right way to go - let''s just hope that Keith Harris can find us a golden handshake soon! Afraid to say I don''t hold out much hope of that happening any time soon... :(

Welcome Chichcanary,

For me too this message board is a way to find out a lot about the way fans feel etc. Because I live abroad I only get to whatch a handful, maybe a dozen of games each season.

I agree with Coelho, I don''t see the board taking relegation fully into account, but they surely know that investment has to come to get the club heading upwards again.

I will always be a fan, so the thought of relegation really makes me shiver

[quote user="chichcanary"]

New poster here guys

Does anyone have the feeling we are seeing a carefully stage managed relegation to league 1 so we can try to "do a Leicester" and rebuild?

Appointing Gunny to appease the fans a bit if we go down

Bringing over Crook - undoubtedly one of the best I ever saw in my 34 years following Norwich - but coaching at a low level in Australia

Signing a player from the Ryman league!! and various Aussies who have worked with Crook

I can see us going down with Gunn stepping down back to some obscure job in the club with the board saying at least he tried

Crook taking over and buying more McDonald type players with a view to making a cheap squad good in league 1 in a few years to challenge for promotion back to the Championship in 2 or 3 years when Crook will have learnt his trade?

[/quote]

NCFC must have took a view on the worst case scenario and prepared an action plan for the worst, especially in our position, with inexperienced management team etc.

No I don''t think we are stage managing our relegation!

That said I definately think we applying ''prudence with ambition'' (to stay up!)

Apart from the defender from Fulham who seems a bit risky the other signings make sense!