Sign in to follow this  
The Voice Of Reason

Prudence WITHOUT Ambition!!!

Whatever happened to signing the likes of Ashton, Earnie, Huckerby and Crouch?

It''s at this precise moment we need top players like never before to get us out of the shat,

PRUDENCE WITHOUT AMBITION!!!!

[quote user="Grim Roeder"]

Whatever happened to the likes of Ashton, Earnie, Huckerby and Crouch?

It''s at this precise moment we need top players like never before to get us out of the shat,

[/quote]

They are all still playing.

[quote user="Delia S. Tickers"][quote user="Grim Roeder"]

Whatever happened to the likes of Ashton, Earnie, Huckerby and Crouch?

[/quote]

They are all still playing.

[/quote]

Interesting editing there, put the word signing back in the sentence and try again.

[/quote]No offence but perhaps pick better examples.... Ashton, lower league player plucked from relative obscurity (sound like Cody?) Huckerby & Crouch disenchanted reserves team player Oh and LOANEES, Killen, Gow Liejer? It''s not ideal but at least let them play before slaggin them off?

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"][quote user="Grim Roeder"]

[/quote]

No offence but perhaps pick better examples.... Ashton, lower league player plucked from relative obscurity (sound like Cody?) Huckerby & Crouch disenchanted reserves team player Oh and LOANEES, Killen, Gow Liejer?

It''s not ideal but at least let them play before slaggin them off?
[/quote]

We signed the leagues leading scorer in Earnie, Ashton was from Crewe who were in div 1 ( championship) him being courted by lots of top clubs. Etc etc

[/quote]No offence but perhaps pick better examples.... Ashton, lower league player plucked from relative obscurity (sound like Cody?) Huckerby & Crouch disenchanted reserves team player Oh and LOANEES, Killen, Gow Liejer? It''s not ideal but at least let them play before slaggin them off?[/quote]Careful, that delusion is obviously growing at a rate of knots......

to compare these loanees to Hucks and Crouch is laughable they are not in the same league, Hucks always had class just needed a club to call home, Crouch always had potential and was destined for good things, these are basically in the last just saloon, anyone one with an Aussie passport is eligible for the socceroos, none of them have set the world alight, give them a chance, yea, but to try and put them on the same standard as Hucks and Crouch is a really stupid argument.Do you believe any of these players will have the same impact as Hucks/Crouch i for one very much doubt it.

[quote user="ricky knight"]to compare these loanees to Hucks and Crouch is laughable they are not in the same league, Hucks always had class just needed a club to call home, Crouch always had potential and was destined for good things, these are basically in the last just saloon, anyone one with an Aussie passport is eligible for the socceroos, none of them have set the world alight, give them a chance, yea, but to try and put them on the same standard as Hucks and Crouch is a really stupid argument.Do you believe any of these players will have the same impact as Hucks/Crouch i for one very much doubt it.[/quote]A fair point, these loan players don''t set the pulse racing like Hucks or Crouch (or kevin harper, elvis hammond or kevin hooper) did but Leijer at 22 is hardly last chance saloon, and In the summer everyone was quite happy at the thought of alan gow (who league leaders wolves fancyed). My point is, we''re not cash laden, Gunny''s doing his best. It may not be what we as fans deserve, but it''s what we''re stuck with.

We signed Earnie and Ashton etc when we had tons of dosh from Sky, so yesterdays dealings are not a fair comparison.Given how tight things are at Carrow Road, I''d say we are being ambitious within our modest limits.  Like it or not...we are not a blig player (financially) and as such, we physically can not compete with the likes of Wolves, Sheffield United etc etc with their financial backers.I won''t even mention the C word, because he''s shown his true colours already - and they certainly are not yellow and green.

[/quote]

No offence but perhaps pick better examples.... Ashton, lower league player plucked from relative obscurity (sound like Cody?) Huckerby & Crouch disenchanted reserves team player Oh and LOANEES, Killen, Gow Liejer?

It''s not ideal but at least let them play before slaggin them off?
[/quote]

hahaha Huckerby and Crouch were proven top- end of the Championship, lower Prem quality at the time.... Killen, Gow and Carney are never likely to play one game in the Premiership between the 3 of them.

As for comparing Ashton to Cody, what are you on?

Ashton had bagged over 20 goals in half a season for Crewe who were only playing a league below (he had also played in the Championship previously)... Cody has only played at a level which is about 6 or 7 levels below that of which NCFC currently play at... see where we are coming from now??? [:$]

[quote user="ricky knight"]to compare these loanees to Hucks and Crouch is laughable they are not in the same league, Hucks always had class just needed a club to call home, Crouch always had potential and was destined for good things, these are basically in the last just saloon, anyone one with an Aussie passport is eligible for the socceroos, none of them have set the world alight, give them a chance, yea, but to try and put them on the same standard as Hucks and Crouch is a really stupid argument.Do you believe any of these players will have the same impact as Hucks/Crouch i for one very much doubt it.[/quote]

Indeed somebody called Aston Villa had already purchased Crouch for £5 million back then... a few quid had been spent on Hucks over the years too.

As I said... back then, we were being bank-rolled by Sky TV with their promotion money, tv rights and parachute payments.  Our turnover is much much less than it was then.  You''re being unrealistic.

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"][quote user="ricky knight"]to compare these loanees to Hucks and Crouch is laughable they are not in the same league, Hucks always had class just needed a club to call home, Crouch always had potential and was destined for good things, these are basically in the last just saloon, anyone one with an Aussie passport is eligible for the socceroos, none of them have set the world alight, give them a chance, yea, but to try and put them on the same standard as Hucks and Crouch is a really stupid argument.Do you believe any of these players will have the same impact as Hucks/Crouch i for one very much doubt it.[/quote]

A fair point, these loan players don''t set the pulse racing like Hucks or Crouch (or kevin harper, elvis hammond or kevin hooper) did but Leijer at 22 is hardly last chance saloon, and In the summer everyone was quite happy at the thought of alan gow (who league leaders wolves fancyed). My point is, we''re not cash laden, Gunny''s doing his best. It may not be what we as fans deserve, but it''s what we''re stuck with.
[/quote]

If Elvis Hammond ever set your pulse racing then that just describes that you do not know the first thing about football and should be banned from commenting on a public football forum.

Can''t you go and find a ''Prawn Sandwich'' forum or something???  [:$]

As for people being happy with Gow in the summer or now, that just goes to show how far we have fallen and how stupid the majority of our fans are (do not include me as being one of Gow''s fans).

[quote user="Shifty Sid"]As I said... back then, we were being bank-rolled by Sky TV with their promotion money, tv rights and parachute payments.  Our turnover is much much less than it was then.  You''re being unrealistic.
[/quote]

I think you are talking plop again here???

We had been outside of the Premiership for how long again when we signed Crouch and Huckerby???

We also spent peanuts when we were in the Premiership... left the Ashton signing far too late.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"][quote user="ricky knight"]to compare these loanees to Hucks and Crouch is laughable they are not in the same league, Hucks always had class just needed a club to call home, Crouch always had potential and was destined for good things, these are basically in the last just saloon, anyone one with an Aussie passport is eligible for the socceroos, none of them have set the world alight, give them a chance, yea, but to try and put them on the same standard as Hucks and Crouch is a really stupid argument.Do you believe any of these players will have the same impact as Hucks/Crouch i for one very much doubt it.[/quote]A fair point, these loan players don''t set the pulse racing like Hucks or Crouch (or kevin harper, elvis hammond or kevin hooper) did but Leijer at 22 is hardly last chance saloon, and In the summer everyone was quite happy at the thought of alan gow (who league leaders wolves fancyed). My point is, we''re not cash laden, Gunny''s doing his best. It may not be what we as fans deserve, but it''s what we''re stuck with.[/quote]

If Elvis Hammond ever set your pulse racing then that just describes that you do not know the first thing about football and should be banned from commenting on a public football forum.

Can''t you go and find a ''Prawn Sandwich'' forum or something???  [:$]

As for people being happy with Gow in the summer or now, that just goes to show how far we have fallen and how stupid the majority of our fans are (do not include me as being one of Gow''s fans).

[/quote]It''s such a shame some people dont understand irony.I''m not a big fan of prawns either.

I  was talking about signing Earnshaw and Ashton if you bothered to read my post instead of wallowing in your own negative self-indulgence.Crouch and Huckerby as someone else mentioned were loans originally - did you slate those at the time for not being permanent?

[quote user="Shifty Sid"]I  was talking about signing Earnshaw and Ashton if you bothered to read my post instead of wallowing in your own negative self-indulgence.

Crouch and Huckerby as someone else mentioned were loans originally - did you slate those at the time for not being permanent?

[/quote]

Crouch & Hucks were in the minority as loan players in a team of permanent players. 

Earnie was for sale this season, as was Evans, probably you could name other PROVEN goal scorers in this div that we have not bought for whatever reason.

[quote user="Shifty Sid"]I  was talking about signing Earnshaw and Ashton if you bothered to read my post instead of wallowing in your own negative self-indulgence.Crouch and Huckerby as someone else mentioned were loans originally - did you slate those at the time for not being permanent?

[/quote]

Crouch & Hucks were in the minority as loan players in a team of permanent players. 

Earnie was for sale this season, as was Evans, probably you could name other PROVEN goal scorers in this div that we have not bought for whatever reason.

[/quote]Kevin Cooper -loanPeter Crouch - loanElivs Hammond - loanKevin Harper - loanDarren Huckerby - loantonights team: Grounds - loan  Bertrand - loanKillen - loan Carney- loan Gow - loan.............

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"]It''s such a shame some people dont understand irony.I''m not a big fan of prawns either.[/quote]Why are prawn sandwiches associated with with affluent, middle class, corporate fans?You can get a prawn sandwich from Tesco for about a quid. They''re hardly the sign of luxury are they?I blame Thatcher...........sorry I meant Roy Keane [;)]

I''m eternally pleased with myself for missing a Man U goal at Old Trafford because I really was eating a prawn sandwich. It was Man U vs Macabi Hifa (spelling). Veron scored just after half time and I was still masticating a rather good seafood reapast in the "champions league lounge" (uurg). Alf Mcguiness came round at the meal before to check we were supporting the Red s**m. "Nope." was my friend and I''s reply...

[quote user="ricky knight"]to compare these loanees to Hucks and Crouch is laughable they are not in the same league, Hucks always had class just needed a club to call home, Crouch always had potential and was destined for good things, these are basically in the last just saloon, anyone one with an Aussie passport is eligible for the socceroos, none of them have set the world alight, give them a chance, yea, but to try and put them on the same standard as Hucks and Crouch is a really stupid argument.Do you believe any of these players will have the same impact as Hucks/Crouch i for one very much doubt it.[/quote]

Its a bad example as we know it now for sure.  But at the time it wasnt.  Crouch was a struggling footballer who failed at Portsmouth and Aston Villa, he was rotting in the reserves when we grabbed him for 3 months, in fact he can probably thank us for revitalising his career.  Hucks was in pretty much the same position, loan star who could never settle.

Ashton is another I have seen quoted.  Its worth remembering that he had been highly rated since he was a 16 year old but had his problems with injury.  We took a gamble on him when no one else would and it paid off handsomely, it could so easily have gone the other way. 

For all we know Ricky, Leija, Carney and MacDonald could be the unpolished bargain diamonds that we desperately need in our financial position.  Killen could be the Peter Crouch for this season.  Truth is neither of us know.