Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Gunn's amazing transfers... New Heroes???

Woahh.I''m a ''nerd'' for supporting my team.It''s a new one Smudger, I''ll give you that.

[quote user="Bobert"]

Why should an Oz and a NZ International player be "lower Championship at best"? What basis do has Smudger for that ascertion? Let us welcome the lads and let them know we are pleased they have joined us and remember that Huckerby and Crouch both came to us as loan players! I am pleased these Internationals have come to Norwich and that is for sure.I certainly object to being called one of a "bunch of nerds".

Its high time Smudger was banned from this Board for his offensive language.

[/quote]

I must of missed last time New Zealand won the World Cup!!!

Wasn''t the last time they qualified from a very poor group in 1982?

Huckerby and Crouch had both played and scored goals in The Premiership, have these two players?

No and neither are they ever likely to.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bobert"]Why should an Oz and a NZ International player be "lower Championship at best"? What basis do has Smudger for that ascertion?[/quote]No basis at all, other than perhaps insanity.

We''ve got 1 full international from a club currently 5th in the CCC - a player described by fans as "not liked by Blackwell because he actually plays football instead of kick and run...".

We''ve now also got another full international from current SPL leaders Celtic in Chris Killen.

Smudger also feels that Chris Porter is a better acquisition that Killen, despite that fact that Killen only scored 2 less goals in 25 games than Porter did in 42...also despite the fact that Killen has a better goal to game ratio then Porter over his career so far, and that Killen was signed by the top team in the SPL, and that Killen has also scored 15 in 26 games at international level for New Zealand...

Chances are that we''ll also get in Gow, a player who despite playing for a team only 6 points ahead of us, managed to score 5 goals in the equivalent of just under 11 games (based on minutes on the pitch). The same Gow who just nearly signed for top of the table Wolves (not a lower championship side).

Still, let''s not let facts get in the way of hatred here shall we?

Indy.
[/quote]

Have no idea where you got your Stats from with regards to the Killen V''s Porter thing?

I would not of signed either at this point in time anyhow... Rickie Lambert is the player we should of gone for.

Let us see how our new stars get on tomorrow night shall we?

Let us see how many goals Porter scores for Derby between now and the end of the season and how many Killen gets for us shall we?

I know who my money is on.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Why is anyone surprised?    Gun was Roeders head of player recruitment so the strategy was unlikely to change was it?   Nor were the names of players being looked at.

Plus ca change.

[/quote]

Exactly ZLF... [Y]

[quote user="shortfatb"]While I don''t agree with Smudger being Chief Scout or whatever, he is right that the quality of the players we buy is a long way away from the players we brought in through the 80''s, 90''s and early 00''s. We used to buy players that other clubs wanted too, highly rated youngsters, excellent players at rival and higher clubs etc. Now everyone we buy is a speculative purchase. But that''s where we are and we have to accept it, there''s no coincidence that the majority of the clubs down with Norwich have been in the Prem a few years back and now have no money, or are clubs that have already fallen further than us and are trying to start again, like Notts Forest or never had any money like Barnsley.

On the last 442 Rich List, Emile Heskey had about as much money as Delia and Michael and that was before the Villa move. The richer clubs like Sheff Utd and QPR are going to keep in the fight, clubs like us have to speculate with players and hope we get lucky or clever or both, like Burnley and Preston this year, but it''s a fact that the players we are buying and loaning aren''t that great, and in truth that those Roeder secured have probably been better.

[/quote]

Burnley spending much more than us says it all really... it is like us outspending one of the very big and rich Premiership clubs without having a wealthy arab take us over.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Have no idea where you got your Stats from with regards to the Killen V''s Porter thing?

I would not of signed either at this point in time anyhow... Rickie Lambert is the player we should of gone for.

Let us see how many goals Porter scores for Derby between now and the end of the season and how many Killen gets for us shall we?

[/quote]

It is rather sad that a supposed "supporter" actively a) wants his side relegated, b) wants them in administration, c) wants their transfer signings to fail.....and so on. 

I looked up Lambert expecting to see an absolute star.  I was rather disappointed. Sorry, but you are belittling players for not having played in the Championship yet want us to sign a player who has played almost his entire career in League 2.

As to how they get on tomorrow, what do you actually care?

[quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"]

FAO Bryan Gunn...

Thing is mate it seems the Smudgers of this forum have more a clue about our club then the likes of you.

[/quote]

Yeah.... Bryan Gunn, Bryan Gunn, Bryan, Bryan Gunn he''s got no hair but we don''t care Bryan, Bryan Gunn!!!

Bryan will always be a legend to City fans (myself included), but what I do care about is the players which he is bringing in are showing that he is no football manager and is purely wasting more money on hopeful punts that are no better than what we have here already.

You obviously have not learnt by the last 3 managers faults hen the going got tough have you Bryan?

I think a few defeats are on the way and I hope that the fans frustrations are took out on you as well as the board, because under the current circumstances you really should not of taken this job right now and have done yourself no favours in doing so (badly advised in my view).

It really is your fault for taking the job and being yet another of DELIA''s yes men too.

So far the only manager out of the last 4 that we have heard speak up about her was Worthy when they chose not to sanction his move for Steve Howard.

City are skint. What exactly do you expect? [:S] Maybe if we all stop going to Carrow Road the club''s financial situation would be improved and Gunn could afford 3million for a striker. [:D]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bobert"]Why should an Oz and a NZ International player be "lower Championship at best"? What basis do has Smudger for that ascertion?[/quote]No basis at all, other than perhaps insanity.We''ve got 1 full international from a club currently 5th in the CCC - a player described by fans as "not liked by Blackwell because he actually plays football instead of kick and run...". We''ve now also got another full international from current SPL leaders Celtic in Chris Killen.Smudger also feels that Chris Porter is a better acquisition that Killen, despite that fact that Killen only scored 2 less goals in 25 games than Porter did in 42...also despite the fact that Killen has a better goal to game ratio then Porter over his career so far, and that Killen was signed by the top team in the SPL, and that Killen has also scored 15 in 26 games at international level for New Zealand...Chances are that we''ll also get in Gow, a player who despite

playing for a team only 6 points ahead of us, managed to score 5 goals

in the equivalent of just under 11 games (based on minutes on the

pitch). The same Gow who just nearly signed for top of the table Wolves

(not a lower championship side).Still, let''s not let facts get in the way of hatred here shall we?Indy.[/quote]I think the argument of "We''ve now also got another full international from current SPL leaders Celtic in Chris Killen" is a bit weak.  One he is a New Zealand international which hardly carries great prestige.  Two, Killen has made just one appearance for Celtic as a sub all season so you can hardly credit him for any success they may be enjoying.  Lastly, under the logic that we assume because he coming from Celtic he must be good then surely Murray should have been better and the likes of Mulryne and Notman should have been stars seeing as they came from Man U.I will not judge any of the loans players abilities until they have played for us a fair amount.  However I will say this, considering Killen has played 1 international, 1 friendly and was sub in 1 league game, I do have to question as to how fit he is right now.  It could be a full month until he is match fit.  Gow clearly showed plenty of ability at Blackpool for Wolves to agree a fee but again there are questions over his fitness as he failed a medical.  So the question for me is not about their ability but about how many games we will get out of them between now and when they leave.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]City are skint. What exactly do you expect? [:S] Maybe if we all stop going to Carrow Road the club''s financial situation would be improved and Gunn could afford 3million for a striker. [:D]
[/quote]

But why are they Lord?

And 25.000 going to games hasn''t released any extra cash has it?

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I don''t know wiz I''m not as familiar with the club''s accounts as you are. [;)]
[/quote]

You forget Flash that you are dealing with Mything Linc Inc.

They can make any statement they like however derogatory AND not have to back it up.

Easy knock everything NCFC and somewhere you will get a hit.

Smudger is chairman and Wiz chief stirer.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I don''t know wiz I''m not as familiar with the club''s accounts as you are. [;)]
[/quote]

They can make any statement they like however derogatory AND not have to back it up.

[/quote]

Oi! I''ve been demoted! [:D]

I think we have to accept that we simply cannot afford any better in this window. It''s not like Gunn has 50 million to spend and he''s sitting there thinking "I have 50 million to spend. F*** it, i''ll just get some celtic reserve on loan". The fact of the matter is, you can make a success out of the championship with these kind of deals. I''m not saying we will, i don''t know enough about the players we''ve signed. Instead of complaining, try being a bit optimistic. Cause there''s nothing else we can do at the moment, is there?

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oi! I''ve been demoted! [:D]

[/quote]

Sorry Wiz but your lack of insulting and rude language will always, in my opinion, hold you back.

Shows a slight lack of commitment and a tendency to realy want to be positive.[;)]

[quote user="The Butler"]Shows a slight lack of commitment and a tendency to realy want to be positive.[;)][/quote]I agree Butler. Time for wiz to come out of the closet and admit he''s a percy! [:D]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]City are skint. What exactly do you expect? [:S] Maybe if we all stop going to Carrow Road the club''s financial situation would be improved and Gunn could afford 3million for a striker. [:D]
[/quote]

But why are they Lord?

And 25.000 going to games hasn''t released any extra cash has it?

[/quote]

isn`t a season ticket for an under 16 something like £60 ?  great for getting kids to football but  it won`t   do much for the transfer kitty

If you were listening to Talksport a couple of weeks ago it was stated on there that Norwich would need crowds of 52,000 to cover our current players wage bill without money from any other source. Kind of explains really why 25,000 crowds doesn''t put a huge pile of cash into the transfer kitty.

The question you need to ask is " Do any of these signings weeken the current team?  Quite clearly not so stop moaning.

Get used to the fact we are at best a very average Championship club fighting for survival with very little cash tospend on players. With this in mind I believe thecurrent players Gunn has brought in are pretty decent additions to the squad. If you were at Doncaster Friday night you will realise what a difference a striker of any sort who can hold up the ball will make to the team. Cort made an impact when he came on without the ability to move at more than walking pace.

[quote user="Smudger"]Have no idea where you got your Stats from with regards to the Killen V''s Porter thing?

Let us see how many goals Porter scores for Derby between now and

the end of the season and how many Killen gets for us shall we?

[/quote]That''s because you''re dealing

with someone who actually understands far more about footbal statistics

and judging players than you do.

To simplify things I''ll just demonstrate a couple of the factors used to assess players comparatively.

Killen has played a total of 8549 minutes of football during LEAGUE

games, the equivalent to 94.99 full 90 minutes. During this time, he

has scored 43 goals, which related to his actual full playing time

stats equals a goal every 2.21 games

Porter has played a total of 13941 minutes of football during LEAGUE

games, the equivalent to 154.9 full 90 minutes. During this time he has

scored 66 goals, which related to his full playing time stats equals a

goal every 2.35 games.

16 of Porters Goals were also scored at league 2 level, whereas ALL of Killen''s goals were a league 1 level or higher.

If we also compare both players best seasons:

06-07 Killen at Hibs scored 13 goals in 1251 minutes of football, which equals a goal every 1.07 games

06-07 Porter at Oldham scored 21 goals in 3098 minutes of football, which equals a goal every 1.64 games.

So in Killen''s best season, he was playing at a higher level than

Porter, and was clearly more effective based on minutes played.

These are the sort of stats you need to take into account, not just simple apps/goals comparisons.Moving onto Ricky Lambert, maybe he would be worth a punt, he''s done pretty well in League 1 and 2, the difference being that we''ve seen both Killen and to a slightly lesser extent Porter step up a level and perform, Lambert has not as yet. Not to say he can''t, but I''d rather go with someone like Killen than risk another Varney...Hope this clarifies where I get my stats from, but again, let''s not let facts get in the way here...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Smudger"]Have no idea where you got your Stats from with regards to the Killen V''s Porter thing?

[/quote]That''s because you''re dealing with someone who actually understands far more about footbal statistics and judging players than you do.

To simplify things I''ll just demonstrate a couple of the factors used to assess players comparatively.

Killen has played a total of 8549 minutes of football during LEAGUE games, the equivalent to 94.99 full 90 minutes. During this time, he has scored 43 goals, which related to his actual full playing time stats equals a goal every 2.21 games
Porter has played a total of 13941 minutes of football during LEAGUE games, the equivalent to 154.9 full 90 minutes. During this time he has scored 66 goals, which related to his full playing time stats equals a goal every 2.35 games.

16 of Porters Goals were also scored at league 2 level, whereas ALL of Killen''s goals were a league 1 level or higher.

06-07 Killen at Hibs scored 13 goals in 1251 minutes of football, which equals a goal every 1.07 games
06-07 Porter at Oldham scored 21 goals in 3098 minutes of football, which equals a goal every 1.64 games.

So in Killen''s best season, he was playing at a higher level than Porter, and was clearly more effective based on minutes played.

These are the sort of stats you need to take into account, not just simple apps/goals comparisons.

Moving onto Ricky Lambert, maybe he would be worth a punt, he''s done pretty well in League 1 and 2, the difference being that we''ve seen both Killen and to a slightly lesser extent Porter step up a level and perform, Lambert has not as yet. Not to say he can''t, but I''d rather go with someone like Killen than risk another Varney...

Hope this clarifies where I get my stats from, but again, let''s not let facts get in the way here...
[/quote]

Could I have that in graph format please?

Apart from that 10 out of 10 for a great,well researched, put down argument

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Smudger"]Have no idea where you got your Stats from with regards to the Killen V''s Porter thing?

[/quote]That''s because you''re dealing with someone who actually understands far more about footbal statistics and judging players than you do.

Killen has played a total of 8549 minutes of football during LEAGUE games, the equivalent to 94.99 full 90 minutes. During this time, he has scored 43 goals, which related to his actual full playing time stats equals a goal every 2.21 games
Porter has played a total of 13941 minutes of football during LEAGUE games, the equivalent to 154.9 full 90 minutes. During this time he has scored 66 goals, which related to his full playing time stats equals a goal every 2.35 games.

So in Killen''s best season, he was playing at a higher level than Porter, and was clearly more effective based on minutes played.

These are the sort of stats you need to take into account, not just simple apps/goals comparisons.

Moving onto Ricky Lambert, maybe he would be worth a punt, he''s done pretty well in League 1 and 2, the difference being that we''ve seen both Killen and to a slightly lesser extent Porter step up a level and perform, Lambert has not as yet. Not to say he can''t, but I''d rather go with someone like Killen than risk another Varney...

Hope this clarifies where I get my stats from, but again, let''s not let facts get in the way here...
[/quote]

Great post Indy, but you miss the point that lower league players are only great signings if they have the approval of the Smudgemeister. Did you perhaps miss his tenure as England manager?

[quote user="Bryan Bryan Gunn"]

congratulations smudger, 4371 rubbish posts later, and you still dont have a clue !!

see you at portman road in a few months, what stand you sitting in ? 

[/quote]

hahaha coming from you Bryan I take that as a compliment... mark my words you may have no hair and we don''t care, but you will not last much longer than 12 months in the job at best... [:D]

[quote user="jbghost"]

If you were listening to Talksport a couple of weeks ago it was stated on there that Norwich would need crowds of 52,000 to cover our current players wage bill without money from any other source. Kind of explains really why 25,000 crowds doesn''t put a huge pile of cash into the transfer kitty.

The question you need to ask is " Do any of these signings weeken the current team?  Quite clearly not so stop moaning.

Get used to the fact we are at best a very average Championship club fighting for survival with very little cash tospend on players. With this in mind I believe thecurrent players Gunn has brought in are pretty decent additions to the squad. If you were at Doncaster Friday night you will realise what a difference a striker of any sort who can hold up the ball will make to the team. Cort made an impact when he came on without the ability to move at more than walking pace.

[/quote]

What a load of crap...52,000... so what is our wage bill then?

£15 million, £20 million, £25 million, £30 million???

If we are spending this much then this surely shows how little our board of directors and management know.

God only knows how Chase survived for so long with only 16,000 coming through the turnstiles.

Bit quiet on the comparison between Killen and your former favourite transfer target Porter aren''t we Smudger?Is the fact that the stats prove Killen to be the more effective striker getting you annoyed? Is it simply because you don''t want to admit that we''ve signed a decent player?Come on Smudger, let''s hear your reasoning now, when hard facts are against you...

This may have been said in the parts of the thread i just skimmed, but Gow was all but signed by Wolves three weeks ago until he failed his medical. Wolves are one of the three i would say will go up this year and the fact that they showed more than a fleeting interest would prove that Gow is far from a lower Championship player. I for one am happy that we got the loans in today and they are in positions which we really needed to make stronger. I would rather have had one more Centre back in but as the saying goes "beggers can''t be choosers"

[quote user="The Duke"]This may have been said in the parts of the thread i just skimmed, but Gow was all but signed by Wolves three weeks ago until he failed his medical. Wolves are one of the three i would say will go up this year and the fact that they showed more than a fleeting interest would prove that Gow is far from a lower Championship player. I for one am happy that we got the loans in today and they are in positions which we really needed to make stronger. I would rather have had one more Centre back in but as the saying goes "beggers can''t be choosers"[/quote]

So he fails a medical at Wolves, and is out of form at his current club, hence a loan. Hmmm.

Doesn''t sound like theres much chance of him being at top Championship side (like Wolves) in his current predicament.

i hope he scores some goals and proves me wrong, but hes not our ''new hero''.

[quote user="singing canary"]just like gow did at blackpool ... scored 6 or 7 ... in half a season as a midfielder .[/quote]959 minutes played, equal to 10.65 full games, 5 goals scored, so scoring a goal the equivalent of every 2.13 games based upon minutes played.And that''s at a team like us who are near the bottom of the league so he''s hardly had the best team around him either.Clearly why Wolves were interested, and their change of mind could be our very real gain, will have to wait and see.