Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

What should we do with Hoolahan???

With all these new forward players we have just signed (Carney, Killen, Gow & McDonald)...what should we do about Hoolahan.  He seems to be playing well lately, but this is in some way a comparison to Huckerby as when Hoolahan plays we don''t seem to have a balanced side...however, both players could win a match for us with a moment of brilliance.

What do you all think?

His best position is clearly playing just behind the main striker although conversely his two goals have come from left midfield. I just don''t think you can play a left sided midfielder who provides no defensive cover unless you have two holding midfielders. So unless we''re going 4-2-3-1 (which I very much doubt as I get the impression Gunny is a 4-4-2 man) I reckon he needs to play as a deep lying forward.

He has to play though as we''ve lost too much creative ability already with Bell and Lupoli leaving.

I can''t see Gunn just dropping him, nor can I see him playing all three new strikers at the same time.

i''d imagine hoolahan will stay on the left wing and Cureton will play up front with Gow tonight

I agree San Miguel...however, I think Cureton will probably play along side Killen rather than Gow.  I guess Carney will get his chance when Hoolahan has a bad game and Gow will get his chance when Croft or one of the two forwards fail to impress.  I guess we''ll wait and see.

i heard Gow failed a medical at Wolves so he might not be fit enough to play tonight. and McDonald will presumably need a few weeks of professional training before he''s fit enough to start.

who knows - maybe Carl Cort will start tonight!

He is without doubt or most creative player. Yes things don''t always come off for him, but at least he''s trying to thread the ball through for the forwards etc(if only they stayed on side). So for me, he has to play!

[quote user="San Miguel"]

i heard Gow failed a medical at Wolves so he might not be fit enough to play tonight. and McDonald will presumably need a few weeks of professional training before he''s fit enough to start.

[/quote]Gow failed his medical at Wolves at the start of the season. Has been on loan at Blackpool until now, so he is fit. It would be great for him to start tonight and show Wolves what they''ve missed out on.

[quote user="colneycanary"][quote user="San Miguel"]

[/quote]Gow failed his medical at Wolves at the start of the season. Has been on loan at Blackpool until now, so he is fit. It would be great for him to start tonight and show Wolves what they''ve missed out on.[/quote]Wow, I didn''t know the season started in January!

[quote user="USA Canary"]I agree San Miguel...however, I think Cureton will probably play along side Killen rather than Gow.  I guess Carney will get his chance when Hoolahan has a bad game and Gow will get his chance when Croft or one of the two forwards fail to impress.  I guess we''ll wait and see.[/quote]I would imagine that Carney won''t figure immediately.  He has this game in Japan that he''s been selected for next week, and won''t be fully match fit as he hasn''t been getting games at Sheff Utd.  There''s only one more Australia World Cup match during our season though, so he might start to figure in mid-lat Feb ?

Qantas Socceroos

Qantas Socceroos

Uzbekistan

Uzbekistan

8:00 pm

ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Tickets

Qantas Socceroos

Qantas Socceroos

Japan

Japan

7:20 pm

Yokohama International Stad, Yokohama (JPN)

I would like to see Hoolahan playing behind Gow and Killen. Now we have some proper forwards we need to get Cureton out of the starting line up. That formation will leave us a bit vulnerable down the left, but I don''t think we are equipped to go to Wolves and defend anyway. We need to get at them and that formation would allow us to do it.

Heres what.....

------------------Marshall---------------

Otsemobor--Doherty--Grounds--Bertrand

Croft------Clingan------Russell----Carney

----------------Hoolahan------------------

----------------Gow----------------------

[quote user="Bigus"]

Heres what.....

[/quote]

Gow isn''t an out and out striker, surely he shouldn''t have somebody playing off him when he wants be playing off somebody himself

[quote user="Bigus"]

Heres what.....

[/quote]

No out and out striker there. However Everton have been playing without a conventional striker (due to injuries) with great success.

[quote user="Georgie Bless"][quote user="Bigus"]

Heres what.....

[/quote]

No out and out striker there. However Everton have been playing without a conventional striker (due to injuries) with great success.

[/quote]Perhaps they''ll loan us tim cahill?

[quote user="Georgie Bless"][quote user="Bigus"]

Heres what.....

[/quote]

[/quote]Much easier to do when you have midfielders of the quality of Cahill and Arteta, though, isn''t it? Considering we have Cureton, Cort, Killen and McDonald in our squad, it doesn''t make sense to start without at least one front-line striker.