Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Picking on players.

Seemingly, all soccer crowds single out a player for "stick" when things are going badly for their team. It even

happens in the better times.

Norwich supporters do this too --- with knobs on. We always seem to need a scapegoat on the pitch. Ironically, it only

seems to be players who are at the club for a fairly long stint. No sooner had Hughes gone, than Doherty was in the frame.

I believe he was temporarily relieved of the honour by Coco.

Thinking back, who else has had the treatment at Carrow Road? How did they handle it? I believe Hughes cracked just once, when

he went for a "supporter".

Doherty seems oblivious to it all and maybe is about to lose the mantle to Fozzie in any case.

Past anti-heroes?  Roberts at first, I remember. Before that Sutch. Before that? 

I go back to Bill Punton (or "Mary" as he was cruelly labelled at first). He won the crowd over and became an absolute favourite.

My father, a typical Norfolkman and now approaching ninety took it a stage further with an individual stance. He had it in for Ian Crook would you believe. 

Unable to see the good side of Crook''s play, he picked out the negatives. He was convinced he lost the ball too often in midfield, surrendering possession

and leaving us vulnerable to counter-attack. "Crook again"  was his favourite grumble throughout the game, at every slight mistake the player made.

This even extended to the kick-about before the match. On one occasion, Crook sliced a playful cross into the stand and so near to where we were sitting that

we had to duck.

"Crook again" was the old boy''s response. And he meant it.

Still "you pays yer money" etc.

Sorry to go off the current subjects, Ian Crook''s arrival has reminded me of happier times.

i think andy hughes actually turned it around by threatening a fan, i always hoped it was smudger or cluck on the receiving end [:D]

I remember Malky getting it early on in his NCFC career - he was dire though - he definitely turned it around. Iwan got terrible stick, you are right, it was always ill placed criticism I remember and I had a massive barney with some "fans" about it during the match. Carey got tremendous stick I remember and so did Adrian Forbes at one point, although an equal amount loved everything he did.

No point in getting on individual players backs in my opinion. I remember once at Stockport away, we lost 2-1 and the players came over to say thanks for the support and a guy at the front turned around to us all and shouted "stop clapping, they were useless, stop it. They''re all a pile of shit." I remember wondering why the hell the guy had paid his money and why he supported Norwich. What a dick!

Croft seems to get a lot of undeserved criticism. I hate to think we''re we would be this season without him. Yes he doesn''t have the best cross in the world but he has other attributes that more than make up for it.

Some players deserve it, some don''t. Fozzy is a terrible player with no quality. He''s obvious a good talker which is why he is captain. I would tell him to his face too. People who think he is a good player have no idea about football or what a central midfielder should be doing. Sometimes its like playing with 10 men. Cant pass, can''t tackle, doesnt score. 1 goal (so far) but he''s got a big mouth so he should get in the team????? + he''s Gunns bum buddy!

[quote user="Muddy funster"]I remember Malky getting it early on in his NCFC career - he was dire though - he definitely turned it around. Iwan got terrible stick, you are right, it was always ill placed criticism I remember and I had a massive barney with some "fans" about it during the match. Carey got tremendous stick I remember and so did Adrian Forbes at one point, although an equal amount loved everything he did. No point in getting on individual players backs in my opinion. I remember once at Stockport away, we lost 2-1 and the players came over to say thanks for the support and a guy at the front turned around to us all and shouted "stop clapping, they were useless, stop it. They''re all a pile of shit." I remember wondering why the hell the guy had paid his money and why he supported Norwich. What a dick![/quote]

Think that might have been me - I was having a bad day that day but really losing to Stockport - could you blame me? 

I repeated this once in the Nou Camp after watching Barca play out the most lifeless and dull 0-0 draw against Villareal.  I turned round and started booing as the final whistle went and was promptly verbally set upon by loads of Barca fans who thought they had seen a good match.  I guess everyone has a different opinion on football.

A bloke behind me in the Barclay used to shout at Rosario, "Oi!  Roosie!  Yew oughta be wearin'' a bleedin'' cloown''s nose!" about twelve times a game.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]Croft seems to get a lot of undeserved criticism. I hate to think we''re we would be this season without him. Yes he doesn''t have the best cross in the world but he has other attributes that more than make up for it.[/quote]

Give over, he''s been ok, in a very poor team this year!

My brother used to get exasperated by a chap behind him who would start on Carey every game. It was all "****in Carey, you ****in ****" So my bro turned round and asked "Is this personal?" "Too ****in right it is" was the reply..

Funny that Broadstairs. I can sympathise with your father re Crook.

It will be remembered in his early City years he struggled to keep a first team place. He was a bit lightweigt and did give the ball away but that accusation can be levelled at many a midfield playmaker.

I will always remember Crook for his magnificent defence splitting passes to Bowen but those who use to moan at Hucks not tracking back would have had a field day.

It looks like Jamie is the next in line after all. Boo boys at the ready.

How opinions can change so quickly. He was welcomed back with open arms from Barnsley and Roeder was the culprit then.

[quote user="coops"]

Some players deserve it, some don''t. Fozzy is a terrible player with no quality. He''s obvious a good talker which is why he is captain. I would tell him to his face too. People who think he is a good player have no idea about football or what a central midfielder should be doing. Sometimes its like playing with 10 men. Cant pass, can''t tackle, doesnt score. 1 goal (so far) but he''s got a big mouth so he should get in the team????? + he''s Gunns bum buddy!

[/quote]

Yet another sheep for the "must have a scapegoat" bandwagon

[quote user="coops"]

[/quote]

He is not great but not as bad as you say, but obviously I know nothing about football!