Sign in to follow this  
Aurelius

May I ask your advice for a trip to Carrow Road?

Hi mates, I''m from Italy and I have been following Norwich since 1978 in the good and in the bad fortunes, but I still haven''t gone to the city of Norwich, so I could see the Canaries only away (strange, isn''t it?), in some of the London stadia, and of course . . . in Italy, in THAT famous match against Inter MIlan, in 1993...

But now I have the occasion to visit East Anglia and I don''t waste to waste the chance to attend my first game at Carrow Road in one of the next home matches.

So, I''d like to ask your advice on two points:

1 - In which London railway station do leaves trains for Norwich and how long does the journey take?

2 - Which is the best home pub to enjoy a couple pf pre/post match beers?

Thank you very much in advance for your help, that is much appreciated.

And sorry for my poor english....

You want Liverpool Street station - train journey takes just under two hours, although you may have to hop on a bus for some of the journey if travelling at the weekend due to maintenance...

One of the better pre/post match pubs is the Coach and Horses on Thorpe Road which is conveniently just up the road from Norwich train station.

Your English is perfect mate. Much better than my Italian.

The station you need to get to in London is Liverpool Street which is in the East. If you''re coming in from Heathrow, you can get the District line straight there.

As for pubs, I''m sure everyone will give you different answers as it''s pretty much on individual tastes. I''d advise anywhere around Riverside if you''re after cheap lager. If you want a more English experience, go to any of the pubs at the top of Carrow Hill.

[quote user="Aurelius"]Hi mates, I''m from Italy and I have been following Norwich since 1978 in the good and in the bad fortunes, but I still haven''t gone to the city of Norwich, so I could see the Canaries only away (strange, isn''t it?), in some of the London stadia, and of course . . . in Italy, in THAT famous match against Inter MIlan, in 1993... But now I have the occasion to visit East Anglia and I don''t waste to waste the chance to attend my first game at Carrow Road in one of the next home matches. So, I''d like to ask your advice on two points: 1 - In which London railway station do leaves trains for Norwich and how long does the journey take? 2 - Which is the best home pub to enjoy a couple pf pre/post match beers? Thank you very much in advance for your help, that is much appreciated. And sorry for my poor english....[/quote]

1) London Liverpool Street - fastest about 1hr 45 minutes if it isn''t snowing.

2) You will have to ask the informed locals on here.

3) There are two Cathedrals in Norwich, one very famous and one less: the Catholic Cathedral of St John the Baptist in Unthank Road.

4) Your poor English is probably better than the Italian of most posters on here.[:D]

Thank you mates for being so kind and helpful, I do feel part of a great family, a yellow and green family....

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I''d advise anywhere around Riverside if you''re after cheap lager. If you want a more English experience, go to any of the pubs at the top of Carrow Hill.

[/quote]

Absolutely, I adore England (apart from the weather :-)), the English culture and the English way of life; above all, I love English beers (either stouts and bitters) much more than lager. :-)

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Aurelius"]Hi mates, I''m from Italy and I have been following Norwich since 1978 in the good and in the bad fortunes, but I still haven''t gone to the city of Norwich, so I could see the Canaries only away (strange, isn''t it?), in some of the London stadia, and of course . . . in Italy, in THAT famous match against Inter MIlan, in 1993... But now I have the occasion to visit East Anglia and I don''t waste to waste the chance to attend my first game at Carrow Road in one of the next home matches. So, I''d like to ask your advice on two points: 1 - In which London railway station do leaves trains for Norwich and how long does the journey take? 2 - Which is the best home pub to enjoy a couple pf pre/post match beers? Thank you very much in advance for your help, that is much appreciated. And sorry for my poor english....[/quote]

1) London Liverpool Street - fastest about 1hr 45 minutes if it isn''t snowing.

2) You will have to ask the informed locals on here.

3) There are two Cathedrals in Norwich, one very famous and one less: the Catholic Cathedral of St John the Baptist in Unthank Road.

4) Your poor English is probably better than the Italian of most posters on here.[:D]

[/quote]And quite a lot better than thier English too! (Sorry)

Funnily enough I tried to learn some Italian for our trip to Milan - the most important phrase being -

Dove si puo comprare una programma per favore? or Where can I buy a programme?  Just my luck that they didn''t produce one for the match!!!!

Enjoy your trip to the Capital of East Anglia - I would also suggest the Coach and Horses if you are into your stouts and bitters or the Horse and Dray on Ber Street.  Make sure you organise your match tickets well in advance as they are often a sell-out for home fans.

Hello Aurelius,

I am the Capital Canaries Home Travel Officer, will try to help.

The London / Norwich trains are ok for Bristol City (depends on the weather though!) but there are buses on the route, due to engineering works for most games after this Saturday which add over an hour to the journey if you travel from Liverpool Street.

If you are going this Saturday we will be on the 11.00am.

For the Plymouth game there are engineering works effecting both Liverpool Street and Kings X

It’s a better journey if you travel via Kings X / Cambridge – we leave on the 10:15 from Kings X, which gets us in at 12:30 after a short stop at Cambridge. It is more expensive this way, but we can reduce the costs by purchasing Group Save Tickets (4 for 2) and also by splitting the journey into two fares – this saves £5.

PM me if you want any more information.

Cheers

Tim

www.capitalcanaries.com

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Hello Aurelius,

The London / Norwich trains are ok for Bristol City (depends on the weather though!) but there are buses on the route, due to engineering works for most games after this Saturday which add over an hour to the journey if you travel from Liverpool Street.

For the Plymouth game there are engineering works effecting both Liverpool Street and Kings X

It’s a better journey if you travel via Kings X / Cambridge – we leave on the 10:15 from Kings X, which gets us in at 12:30 after a short stop at Cambridge. It is more expensive this way, but we can reduce the costs by purchasing Group Save Tickets (4 for 2) and also by splitting the journey into two fares – this saves £5.

Cheers

Tim

www.capitalcanaries.com

[/quote]

Thank you very much Tim (and you all, mates). If you don''t mind I''ll permit to PM you when we''ll have established the exact date, probbaly in April, in order to have up-to-date information about the best travel.

And congratulations for the beautiful site and fansclub, I didn''t know that Bryan Gunn was the President!

P.S. Does anyone of you guys know what do I have to do to quote correctly another post? Don''t I have simply to click on the "Quote" button?

I did so but the quoted post appears awful....

You do simply click the ''Quote'' button of the post you want to quote.I''m not overly sure what happened above though - no doubt the webteam will fix it in due cause!

[quote user="Aurelius"]P.S. Does anyone of you guys know what do I have to do to quote correctly another post? Don''t I have simply to click on the "Quote" button? I did so but the quoted post appears awful....[/quote]

This Forum has terrible technical problems. You will probably have problems if you are not using Internet Explorer, it does not cope well with other browsers.

[Delia S. Tickers wrote: This Forum has terrible technical problems. You will probably have problems if you are not using Internet Explorer, it does not cope well with other browsers].

I see, thank you; infact I use Safari as I am a mac user, but now I''ll try with Firefox.

Welcome Aurelius. I love posts like this. Football is brilliant at creating epic journeys and crossing boarders. Enjoy your visit to our proud city my man. HAIL AURELIUS !!!

The Quote button doesn''t work properly in some browsers - it''s been like that for ages. I know it doesn''t work in Safari on a Mac, though Mac Firefox is OK.

Hello AureliusYour English is so much better than my itailian. I have just come back from a weekend in Rome, what a fantastic city. Managed to get tickets to see lazio vs Milan. beckham and kaka were awesome!Good luck with your trip to Norwich in he future.its nice to see some canaries elswhere.do you know many in ItalyCiao

Aurelius, if you book your train ticket in advance you might be able to get a one-way ticket from Liverpool street for as little as £6.00 (or two for £12.00).I think the site is www.onerailway.com Good luck!

of course his english is better then 99% of people on here, it''s like most foreigners that learn the language, for example michael schumacher has superb english...this is because they are taught the proper language and are not influenced by technology such as text speak, instant messenger speak or just general poor grammar.Not having a go at anybody''s english on here, but clearly they learn all the grammar properly, something that schools in england fail to do these days.

[quote user="Romantic"]Welcome Aurelius. I love posts like this. Football is brilliant at creating epic journeys and crossing boarders. Enjoy your visit to our proud city my man. HAIL AURELIUS !!![/quote]100% agree, mate, football for me is a great passion but also a way to know people, toi find friends,and places, a factor of cultural enrichment.As far as  I am concerned, all began due to my love  for England and English football. When I was  a kid, I remained impressed by the beautiful contrast between the pitch and the yellow and green kit (I refer to the plain, sober, beautiful Admiral kit of John Fashanu), and since then I would always be linked to this club. I don''t care if the club is in second division, what really matters for me is that the club has mantained a solid link with its Norfolk roots (enphatised by some local sponsor like Colman''s), its traditional  familiar style of conduct, its beautiful yellow and green  kit, and the fact that 25000 people always fill the beautiful Carrow Road, creating an incredible atmosphere (whereas the stadia of the Italian Serie A are always half empty). [IMG]http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/images/thumb_medium/Norwich-97-Home.jpg[/IMG]Plus, I''m lucky enough that the Italian Channel TV channel "Sportitalia" broadcasts every week the complete highlights of all the Championship''s matches....So, thank you to everyone mates, for providing such a useful and helpful information.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Hello Aurelius,

Cheers

Tim

www.capitalcanaries.com

[/quote]

Yup, he''s going to be looking for a big station called Kings with an X after it [8-)][*-)]

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

Funnily enough I tried to learn some Italian for our trip to Milan - the most important phrase being -

Dove si puo comprare una programma per favore? or Where can I buy a programme?  Just my luck that they didn''t produce one for the match!!!!

[/quote]Your Italian was perfect, mate, the fact is that in Italy there isn''t the tradition to make, sell an collect match programmes.....But, ça va sans dire, it goes without saying,  we have pizza, at least.... [pi]Ciao! [:D]

Aurelius , I would really recommend getting in touch with the club well in advance, tell them you''re coming all the way from Italy to make sure you get a ticket.

[Aurelius , I would really recommend getting in touch with the club well in advance, tell them you''re coming all the way from Italy to make sure you get a ticket].

Of course, mate, thank you very much.

The club has always helped the members of the Italian fansclub, think that in the occasion of the home game with Palace one of our member has received a warm welcome by the great Jeremy Goss and he could even meet the players after the game.

[quote user="Aurelius"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

Your Italian was perfect, mate, the fact is that in Italy there isn''t the tradition to make, sell an collect match programmes.....
But, ça va sans dire, it goes without saying,  we have pizza, at least.... [pi]
Ciao! [:D]
[/quote]

In fact, I sampled a pizza after the game in a very nice restaurant near the cathedral - had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience (apart from the result of course!).

Ciao

[quote user="Aurelius"][Aurelius , I would really recommend getting in touch with the club well in advance, tell them you''re coming all the way from Italy to make sure you get a ticket].

Of course, mate, thank you very much.

The club has always helped the members of the Italian fansclub, think that in the occasion of the home game with Palace one of our member has received a warm welcome by the great Jeremy Goss and he could even meet the players after the game.[/quote]We expect to hear you on BBC Radio Norfolk when you do make it over here!