Sign in to follow this  
Big A

Linvoy Primus Speaks

Just reading BBC teletext.......

Primus Tempted by Norwich

"I suppose the opportunities of playing at Norwich would have been greater than here at Portmouth"

"They''ve just come into the Premiership, and thats difficult - it would have been a challenge."

"Weighing it up, it would have been a hard decision to make."

Not sure what to make of that really. To me it sounds like he is really unsettled at Portmouth and is unsure of his future. I think if we could agree a price with Portsmouth Linvoy would be more than happy to move here.

Nice area, job security, Better contract, More first team action.

Make the move Linvoy, you know it makes sense

FYI, lifted from the message board for Norwich on www.bbc.co.uk/sport. Looks to be posted by a Pompey fan.

"Primus Interview Russell Anderson - 147th post - 24 Jul 2004 18:20
Linvoy Primus has just been interviewed on our local station after playing in the friendly against Torquay. He said that a definite decision will be made on his future on Monday but after hearing the interview I will be amazed if he doesn''t stay with us. He said he had a meeting with our chairman on Friday evening and said he liked what he heard from the chairman and the chairman liked what he heard from Linvoy. It seems that he is asking Pompey for a year extra on his contract and has asked for (but not demanded) an increase in salary. He intimated that he didn''t want to leave Portsmouth but had to consider the Norwich offer for the sake of his family. It seems that as well as the supporters both the manager and chairman want him to stay and my feeling of the guy is that he is not your typical ''money grabber'' and will be satisfy with a few improvements to his contract even though it still won''t match what you have offered. If I am wrong and he signs for you, you can be assurred that you will have got a ''gem'' and, I for one, will wish him the best of luck!"

Reading through his comments in the EDP, the bloke really doesnt want to come to CR. Given his lack of enthusiasm for the move, i would expect its not going to happen. and i for one am rather relieved. At least with Mackay and Fleming we have 2 centre halves who would walk through walls for Norwich city. Drop Primus now, and if you need to, look elsewhere for a centre half.

Don''t agree i''m afraid. As committed as Malky and Flem are we need another centre half with pace and Primus fits the bill. Yes it appears he doesn''t want to leave Portsmouth but thats not quite the smae as not wanting to play for us. By all accounts he is a top bloke and his attitude is spot on so if he does come to us I have no doubt he would perform.

Primus isnt the only one to fit the bill. I just dont like players that arent committed to the club. Im afraid hes tainted as far as im concerned, lets get someone who wants to play for city.. hes not the one doing us a favour, were NCFC, were doing him a favour. Bol****s to him.

Yeah I have just read his comments and he seems to have his heart really set on staying at Pompey which means he does not want to come here at all. He could have at least said that if things do not work out here then Norwich provide a very good alternative etc etc etc but he has said nothing of the sort and for me it would be a big mistake as he sounds as if he would be pining for Portsmouth if he ever left there.

Thats the way i see it.. ive no time for Steve Walsh types who have no regard for Norwich City.. Primus is a decent player.. hes not the only centre half in the world.

Charlies dad,i think he''s trying to stay neutral on this move...doe''snt want to upset pompey if he stays and like wise doe''snt want to upset us,that said from what i can draw from the interview he gave i will be amazed if he now comes to city...hope i''m proved wrong as i think he sounds quality!

to be honest Sparky, i think hes used us to manipulate more cash out of pompey.. if he doesnt want to upset us hes doing a crap job.. hes got right up my nose for starters. I dont doubt hes useful, but i dont think his pedigree matches up to that of Helveg, Bentley in the excitement stakes, therefore i just think we should look elsewhere to some less reticent individual than this bloke, who puts me in mind of that idiot that Megson installed as number 2, who cried when he joined because he had to leave bradford. Im proud of NCFC. If Primus isnt he can ~~~~ off.

I think Primus has been put in an arkward situation through all of this. Worthington has publicly declared his interest in the lad and it is very difficult for him to say the right things about all parties. He has been at pompey for a while and likes the place and has no need to leave. He can''t come out and say he''d like to go to Norwich when Pompey haven''t even accepted our bid! Players are criticised nowadays for a lack of loyalty and perhaps Primus is showing loyalty by saying he wants to stay witht the club

Charlie''s Dad - from what I know of Primus'' personal life, it''s unlikely that he''s trying to use us to manipulate more money out of Pompey. This is a guy who spends his summer holidays looking after street children in India. Secondly it was Worthy who raised the issue of signing Primus rather than Primus requesting a move. Primus'' comments sound to me like the honest comments of a man who''s trying to make the right and honest decision for him and his family

Oh come on Charlie''s dad. That''s ridiculous.

Footballers kick balls for a living, they are not diplomatic envoys. If he comes here, he will bust a gut for this club otherwise NW would never get him anyway. And he will be a quality alternative for our backline.

Badge-kissers are always faking it, look at Smith for a perfect example.

Frankly I''m never taken in by this "I love the club they were perfect for me this club is really going places one look at the city coming home bla bla bla" pigswill that they ALL speak.

However nice our club and city are to live in we are no bigger a draw in football terms that Pompey. This is a player who is by all accounts very happy on the south coast. You have to remember he has never asked to leave Portsmouth , we have made a bid for him out of the blue.

If you were living and working in Norwich where your wife and family were happily settled and someone from Bristol offered you a job at a similar sized firm to your current one but with a bit more security and better wages then it would be a difficult decision. If you were genuinely happy then the first thing you would do would be to check out how keen your current employers are to keep you. If they don''t give a toss then it makes your decision for you really. If however they want you to stay then you have a decision to make which will be based on many factors, probably the main one being the attitude of his family.

What do you expect him to say "oh my god Norwich want me, this is the chance of a lifetime. Wife pack your bags we''re off to Norwich". Sorry its not going to happen. We are a decent club in a nice part of the country but we''re not Man United or Arsenal and we don''t have that pulling power!

Couldn''t agree more, Jim. The guy is an honest professional whose career was basically salvaged by Redknapp after a free transfer out of Reading, and he doesn''t want to just up sticks and leave them in the lurch at the drop of a hat. Showing decency and loyalty to your current employer is not the same thing as showing a lack of respect for NC.

He''s been an absolute revelation for Portsmouth ( I live with a Pompey fan, and he''s gutted at the prospect of him leaving ). If he does come here, and I think he will, he will bust a gut for us and we''ll love him as much as Pompey do now.

Call me old fashioned, but i like to think that the player representing my club, has some feeling towards it.. However well or badly the team played last season, i felt that to be the case.. no-one would call Mackay or Fleming, or for that matter Drury Holt et al ''badge kissers'' at least not to their face, i realise im playing devils advocate here and the general feeling is pro Primus, but in my own personal opinion i find his underwhelming response to my beloved football club distasteful.

Yes and if he plays for us he will no doubt develop a bond with the club and fans but its crazy to expect someone who has no association with the club or the area whatsoever to have that kind of feeling for the club.

I don''t think he''s said he wouldn''t be interested in coming to us but at the end of the day Pompey are in most peoples eyes a better bet to stay up than us next season and uprooting himself is a risk. Plus it would not go down well in portsmouth if he came out and declared his determination to jump ship and join us. At the end of the day worthy seems convinced we can lure him so privately at least we must have had some indication he is up for joining us.