Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

Can he fix it? Perhaps he can.....

What an interesting day! Not as surprised as some of you: not through any wonderful insight but in the face of the increasing volume of Yellow & Green qualification seeping out in increasing quantity from under the Norwich City board room door until it was dribbling down the stairs.  That narrowed it down a bit: we knew you hadn''t asked Watford for permission to speak to Malky and he claimed to have heard nothing.  Allardyce wasn''t saying anything helpful but Worthy did say: "I think they want the fans back, truthfully.  It''s a rocky time for them" (He still reads this message board, by the way,  "from time to time" and "sometimes I have to laugh"). [;)]

So there didn''t seem to be too many outside of Allardyce or Gunny.  Rioch out of mainstream too long we thought although obviously a possible.

What swung it for Gunny, we think, was the response of the players to the training sessions he attended after GR departed plus their reaction after the game against an admittedly poor side who lost the plot in the second half.  He told one player: "Just go and play your game" (and it wasn''t Jamie)."

Looking on from afar (aside from the FFS comments from The Girl Upstairs as she sees the live score thing) you seem to have quite a good squad, not the best maybe but potentially not all complete plonkers.  However it seems to me that they have not been playing as a team, either due to changes forced by injury or by the whim of the former Manager, or perhaps by a too closely defined game plan which stifled individual talent?

The downside is that he has no experience as a Manager but, there again, neither did Ince (favoured by some) when he took on bottom of the table Macclesfield with absolutely no money at all and got them out of it.  It might have been luck or it might have been him lifting the team he had.  In League Two it''s usually either stars on their way down or people who are in League Two for a reason.

For whatever reason it seems to me that Gunny lifted your team last week.  It might have been relief among those who didn''t like Roeder (not all of your lot hated him we think) or it might have been a natural response to the situation of him (and them) being suddenly slung into a situation.

I don''t know if he can keep it up or keep you up but, as all have said, there is no doubting his committment to your club.  Roeder, whom I like personally, was a hired hand and "personality defects aside" could never get anywhere near that.

I am sure lots of people on here have played football or still do in which case they will know that team spirit is just as important as individual skill.  Many clubs, many teams have produced winning combinations that were not in themselves "star" players but who worked for each other and didn''t give up at 2-0 down after 40 minutes.  I know many of you will dislike Tottenham but to be 4-1 down and come back to win (you did it to draw in the Premier League) requires a "team spirit" which has an essential part in the game. IF he can instil the "never give up" attitude that Spurs displayed tonight you will pick up points you might not otherwise have.

Admittedly viewed from afar I think that is what Norwich has been missing in the last couple of years.  As to whether goalkeepers can be good managers, I agree that not very many have been successful (good memories of Mike Walker between the sticks at Col U) but they often have a better overview of the game than anyone else and will almost certainly know where the weaknesses are.

I think that if he can continue to lift your players you have a good chance.  He will have to deal with defeats as well, of course, and that will also be a test.

I think the encouraging thing is that he decided to throw his hat in the ring.  He wasn''t out of a job: most of the other candidates were for various and diverse reasons of football: "Arrogant, didn''t work out, couldn''t build a team without money, wasted money on crap players" (fill your own comment in).

It seems to us that he applied because he REALLY, REALLY wants to do it - not because he is out of a job.  You can argue that he is a cheap option (no idea) and on another thread someone compared Tesco products with Aldi as a yardstick.  Well, there are a number of own brand products produced identically (aside from the packaging) for both.  Tesco charge almost twice as much as Aldi for the same thing aside from the logo.

Gunny loves your club to pieces and if it turns out that he fails I don''t see most of you putting him down.

I do not see it as a cheap option chosen by your board.

I see it as a brave application by a former player who, rightly, chose to name his book: "In Where it Hurts".

Bloody right! He may be a big, slightly overweight affable bloke these days but he never shirked going in where it hurts when he was playing for you.

Best wishes to him and your club.

Cam, while I can agree with a few of the sentiments you express I must say, for someone in the newspaper game, you took almost a thousand words to say it. If I were your editor I would have sent you back to the desk and asked you to re-do it in 250 words or less. I would have also told you to consume your beverage after you conclude your piece in the future, not before, so as to ensure you get your facts right. Spurs were 4-1 up from the first leg, not 4-1 down. They allowed Burnley to tie it up before winning it in extra time.  

Cam, ignore this fool Yankee. I also live in the USA and enjoyed this insight. I appreciate the snippets of information about NCFC you provide that are not always reported elsewhere and it''s good to see how the Club is viewed from an outside perspective.Just one thing though, are you saying that Sam Allardyce was interested or interviewed for the job? That would be a big surprise given that he has only been at Blackburn a short time.As for Gunny, it appears to me that the board gave him the job due to the complete change in atmosphere at the ground last weekend and the positive reaction of the players. Like most supporters, he wasn''t my first choice at all but the man bleeds Yellow & Green and he deserves a chance.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

What an interesting day! Not as surprised as some of you: not through any wonderful insight but in the face of the increasing volume of Yellow & Green qualification seeping out in increasing quantity from under the Norwich City board room door until it was dribbling down the stairs.  That narrowed it down a bit: we knew you hadn''t asked Watford for permission to speak to Malky and he claimed to have heard nothing.  Allardyce wasn''t saying anything helpful but Worthy did say: "I think they want the fans back, truthfully.  It''s a rocky time for them" (He still reads this message board, by the way,  "from time to time" and "sometimes I have to laugh"). [;)]

So there didn''t seem to be too many outside of Allardyce or Gunny.  Rioch out of mainstream too long we thought although obviously a possible.

What swung it for Gunny, we think, was the response of the players to the training sessions he attended after GR departed plus their reaction after the game against an admittedly poor side who lost the plot in the second half.  He told one player: "Just go and play your game" (and it wasn''t Jamie)."

Looking on from afar (aside from the FFS comments from The Girl Upstairs as she sees the live score thing) you seem to have quite a good squad, not the best maybe but potentially not all complete plonkers.  However it seems to me that they have not been playing as a team, either due to changes forced by injury or by the whim of the former Manager, or perhaps by a too closely defined game plan which stifled individual talent?

The downside is that he has no experience as a Manager but, there again, neither did Ince (favoured by some) when he took on bottom of the table Macclesfield with absolutely no money at all and got them out of it.  It might have been luck or it might have been him lifting the team he had.  In League Two it''s usually either stars on their way down or people who are in League Two for a reason.

For whatever reason it seems to me that Gunny lifted your team last week.  It might have been relief among those who didn''t like Roeder (not all of your lot hated him we think) or it might have been a natural response to the situation of him (and them) being suddenly slung into a situation.

I don''t know if he can keep it up or keep you up but, as all have said, there is no doubting his committment to your club.  Roeder, whom I like personally, was a hired hand and "personality defects aside" could never get anywhere near that.

I am sure lots of people on here have played football or still do in which case they will know that team spirit is just as important as individual skill.  Many clubs, many teams have produced winning combinations that were not in themselves "star" players but who worked for each other and didn''t give up at 2-0 down after 40 minutes.  I know many of you will dislike Tottenham but to be 4-1 down and come back to win (you did it to draw in the Premier League) requires a "team spirit" which has an essential part in the game. IF he can instil the "never give up" attitude that Spurs displayed tonight you will pick up points you might not otherwise have.

Admittedly viewed from afar I think that is what Norwich has been missing in the last couple of years.  As to whether goalkeepers can be good managers, I agree that not very many have been successful (good memories of Mike Walker between the sticks at Col U) but they often have a better overview of the game than anyone else and will almost certainly know where the weaknesses are.

I think that if he can continue to lift your players you have a good chance.  He will have to deal with defeats as well, of course, and that will also be a test.

I think the encouraging thing is that he decided to throw his hat in the ring.  He wasn''t out of a job: most of the other candidates were for various and diverse reasons of football: "Arrogant, didn''t work out, couldn''t build a team without money, wasted money on crap players" (fill your own comment in).

It seems to us that he applied because he REALLY, REALLY wants to do it - not because he is out of a job.  You can argue that he is a cheap option (no idea) and on another thread someone compared Tesco products with Aldi as a yardstick.  Well, there are a number of own brand products produced identically (aside from the packaging) for both.  Tesco charge almost twice as much as Aldi for the same thing aside from the logo.

Gunny loves your club to pieces and if it turns out that he fails I don''t see most of you putting him down.

I see it as a brave application by a former player who, rightly, chose to name his book: "In Where it Hurts".

Bloody right! He may be a big, slightly overweight affable bloke these days but he never shirked going in where it hurts when he was playing for you.

[/quote]on their day, the squad is decent, but clearly, we need to credibly plug our defence and provide a partner for jc (or lupes) - cort is way off whats required imo...this is required irrespective of who is managing the club imo...i hope gunny/chippy gets the backing they need from the board in the tranny market...i await with interest/concern///

Come on Cam....fess up to us mere Norfolk dumplings....this post wasn''t one of your more sterling efforts, was it? Show us mere mortals that a Colchester/Lincoln fan/journalist advisor of Norwich fans can not only "mess up", but is big enough to admit it. While you''re doing it, clarify the "Allardyce" input as well. Or was this just another part of the cock-up?

Why would Allardyce have been interested in the job? The only reason I can think of is his well-publicised love of steam engines - close proximity to the steam museum at Strumpshaw and the collection at Bressingham might have been a contributory factor...

Or alternatively, Cam had had a strange dream (his post was at 2AM) and typed the wrong manager''s name. Too much cheese before bed perhaps?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Alladyce? Congratulations you''ve now voided the credibility of your post.[/quote]Allardyce*

[quote user="Grando"]Why would Allardyce have been interested in the job? The only reason I can think of is his well-publicised love of steam engines - close proximity to the steam museum at Strumpshaw and the collection at Bressingham might have been a contributory factor... Or alternatively, Cam had had a strange dream (his post was at 2AM) and typed the wrong manager''s name. Too much cheese before bed perhaps?[/quote]

You''re much kinder than I am Grando. I suspect Cam is still sleeping it off.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Alladyce? Congratulations you''ve now voided the credibility of your post.[/quote]He probably meant Ince. I wish people would actually realise a simple mistake when they see it.

As to whether goalkeepers can be good managers, I agree that not very many have been successful (good memories of Mike Walker between the sticks at Col U) but they often have a better overview of the game than anyone else and will almost certainly know where the weaknesses are.

[/quote]

Dino Zoff was one...

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]Alladyce? Congratulations you''ve now voided the credibility of your post.
[/quote]

He probably meant Ince. I wish people would actually realise a simple mistake when they see it.
[/quote]

Absolutely right.  I meant Ince - I can only imagine Mr A came into it because we spent four days working on a Sunday Telegraph City Office story saying that Mr A with backers with Saudi Arabia was about to pour millions into Norwich City.  It turned out not to be you at all but a consortium who made an informal approach to Nottingham Forest.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]Alladyce? Congratulations you''ve now voided the credibility of your post.[/quote]He probably meant Ince. I wish people would actually realise a simple mistake when they see it. [/quote]

Absolutely right.  I meant Ince - I can only imagine Mr A came into it because we spent four days working on a Sunday Telegraph City Office story saying that Mr A with backers with Saudi Arabia was about to pour millions into Norwich City.  It turned out not to be you at all but a consortium who made an informal approach to Nottingham Forest.

[/quote]Delia would never sell to a farriner.  Mind you, the bloke what owns Forest wouldn''t have to sell either, he''s worth over 200 million last I heard.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Cam, while I can agree with a few of the sentiments you express I must say, for someone in the newspaper game, you took almost a thousand words to say it. If I were your editor I would have sent you back to the desk and asked you to re-do it in 250 words or less. I would have also told you to consume your beverage after you conclude your piece in the future, not before, so as to ensure you get your facts right. Spurs were 4-1 up from the first leg, not 4-1 down. They allowed Burnley to tie it up before winning it in extra time.  [/quote]

Thanks NYC, much appreciated, but I''m afraid you are going to have to accept the fact that, in general, advice from America is now disregarded on the grounds that much of it has been found to be fatally flawed.

And I don''t drink, by the way.

Like so much from America I am afraid you are wrong which is why your new President is talking about the "fresh start" perhaps?

I hope Mr Gunn is successful and I hope you get your fresh start.

[/quote]

good post, great thread

good luck Gunny. Norwich needs you

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Cam, while I can agree with a few of the sentiments you express I must say, for someone in the newspaper game, you took almost a thousand words to say it. If I were your editor I would have sent you back to the desk and asked you to re-do it in 250 words or less. I would have also told you to consume your beverage after you conclude your piece in the future, not before, so as to ensure you get your facts right. Spurs were 4-1 up from the first leg, not 4-1 down. They allowed Burnley to tie it up before winning it in extra time.  [/quote]

Thanks NYC, much appreciated, but I''m afraid you are going to have to accept the fact that, in general, advice from America is now disregarded on the grounds that much of it has been found to be fatally flawed.

And I don''t drink, by the way.

Like so much from America I am afraid you are wrong which is why your new President is talking about the "fresh start" perhaps?

I hope Mr Gunn is successful and I hope you get your fresh start.

[/quote]

Pleased to see you don''t drink Cameldonum. It must have been the lateness of the hour that contributed to your post and, while I was a little hard on you, I was really hoping you would have been big enough to admit the obvious flaws in your original post ( the unnecessary length of it for a newspaper man and the false input on Spurs, never mind Allardyce ). Come on, admit it, your contribution would not have made it past an editor''s desk worth his salt. It''s got nothing to do with advice from America but everything to do with your post. For you to say I was wrong without explaining what I was wrong about is simply an evasive response from you. Oh, and by the way, while we''re dealing with "wrong" and, so as to be fair to other posters, your reference to NYC really could be taken the wrong way by newyorkcanary, who is not me. 

Cam, I''m going to see Lincoln v Darlington on 14th Feb, d''you think the Imps have a chance?  I notice Darlington are 3rd in the League (could be facing Norwich next season!) and I haven''t really been following Lincoln except for the amazing 68th minute plus fightback against Accrington. My father in law is a season ticket holder at Sinny Bank so going with him. Took him to see Norwich once - it was our depressing 1 -0 loss to Sheff W last season, at the end of the Grant era. He said the quality was much better than in League Two, I''m glad to say!