Sign in to follow this  
YellowRoad

I admire Ian Crook very much !!

His Australian club team Newcastle Jets qualified for the Asian Champions League 2009 and starts their group matches in march v good teams from Japan, China and South Korea.

To give that historic challenge up and come back to Norwich who are almost at the bottom of the second tier of english football, that''s something.

It tells you how much he loves Norwich City and how I admire him, thanks Ian !

Correct! and not only have they finished last but most of their best players are leaving or have left and they are scrambling around trying to make last minute signings to prop up their squad for the ACL. Their manager has come under intense criticism for the style of football he is playing and team selections, at one stage it was widely reported that Spencor Prior (who is over here working as a commentator for Fox Sports) had come out of retirement and signed for the Jets as defensive cover, I believe the Jets backed out of the deal at the last minute.Their owner of the club is also being investigated about an alleged incident in which he verbally threatened and assaulted a fan at last weeks game against Perth, which they actually won!Not to take anything away from Ian Crook, personally I think he will do a Stirling job as coach and couldn''t be happier for him to be back at Norwich but, all is not well at the Jets.

Hope you don’t mind but I thought I would bring you up to date with regards to aussie football the A league.

The football season is much shorter here in auz they play 21 league games only. But qualification for AFC is essentially the same all teams qualify for Europe the season before! As for Newcastle Jets being bottom of the A league yes they are, but there are only 8 teams in the league (10 next year) so they are technically they’re 8th from the top and 8th place would be fine for city.

Being bottom in the A league does not mean relegation. Some teams that don’t start to well and fall away from the top half will maybe look to next season and start to put all the kids in (some tank a few games to finish bottom!). Why? They use it as a way of developing the squad for next year. I know it’s strange but the bottom team gets the first pick of the draft players coming through. In other words you get to pick the best cherries not the top team and there are no real transfers here for millions.

So in short it’s difficult to compare bottom in the A league to bottom in an English league as they are quite different.

As for chippy he is very highly thought of in Auz and his role saw him working predominately with the National Youth League side. I have watched the Jets a few times this season and whilst they are not world beaters they do play some good football and have been a little unlucky on some occasions. (Refereeing here is a little inconsistent to say the least!). I saw last weeks match when the Jets beat Perth Glory 2-1 with mainly youth team players the very player’s chippy has been training so maybe we will see some development on that front who knows.

OTBC

[quote user="aussieyellow"]Hope you don’t mind but I thought I would bring you up to date with regards to aussie football the A league. The football season is much shorter here in auz they play 21 league games only. But qualification for AFC is essentially the same all teams qualify for Europe the season before! As for Newcastle Jets being bottom of the A league yes they are, but there are only 8 teams in the league (10 next year) so they are technically they’re 8th from the top and 8th place would be fine for city. Being bottom in the A league does not mean relegation. Some teams that don’t start to well and fall away from the top half will maybe look to next season and start to put all the kids in (some tank a few games to finish bottom!). Why? They use it as a way of developing the squad for next year. I know it’s strange but the bottom team gets the first pick of the draft players coming through. In other words you get to pick the best cherries not the top team and there are no real transfers here for millions. So in short it’s difficult to compare bottom in the A league to bottom in an English league as they are quite different. As for chippy he is very highly thought of in Auz and his role saw him working predominately with the National Youth League side. I have watched the Jets a few times this season and whilst they are not world beaters they do play some good football and have been a little unlucky on some occasions. (Refereeing here is a little inconsistent to say the least!). I saw last weeks match when the Jets beat Perth Glory 2-1 with mainly youth team players the very player’s chippy has been training so maybe we will see some development on that front who knows. OTBC[/quote]

Thanks AussieYellow. For a No.1 post that is a very well written and informative post.

Lucky Norwich City your gain is our loss we have nurtured Ian Crook down under for the past decade. The pasty white Spit on String( to coin an Antipodean Phrase). East Ender is returned to you a Bronzed Muscular Aussie.

He has held his own with the best and will get the best out of city players and have no fear there is plenty talent waiting ti be discovered in the australian A league

[quote user="hardley"]Lucky Norwich City your gain is our loss we have nurtured Ian Crook down under for the past decade. The pasty white Spit on String( to coin an Antipodean Phrase). East Ender is returned to you a Bronzed Muscular Aussie.

He has held his own with the best and will get the best out of city players and have no fear there is plenty talent waiting ti be discovered in the australian A league[/quote]I would not say plenty, some but defiantly not plenty. There is absolutely no one at the Jets who would be good enough to make the move to the Championship.

Just to add to my post above...If he is going to sign someone from the A-League my choice would be Matt Simon from Central Coast. He has really come of age this year and proved to be a natural goalscorer, he is still only young and would be worth the gamble IMO.Who would be yours?

One of those lovely big Saltwater Crocs you have - would tighten up our defence no end, making the 18 yard box a real no-go area.

Thanks for the compliment Bobert, whilst its my first post I always read this board and have done for a few years just felt I had something to contribute this time glad you liked it.

As for Mick Dundee’s post have to agree on your choice of player he may be worth a punt. There are some talented guys out here and they are a very enthusiastic bunch who live to win but whether they are good enough for the championship I am not sure.

I think football here is much slower (but then they are playing in 30+ degrees so that probably explains that one) and to tactical sometimes. They seem to like playing with a sweeper so maybe look out for change in NCFC tactics!

Maybe we should set up aussie talent spotting thread!

[quote user="Mick Dundee"]Just to add to my post above...If he is going to sign someone from the A-League my choice would be Matt Simon from Central Coast. He has really come of age this year and proved to be a natural goalscorer, he is still only young and would be worth the gamble IMO.Who would be yours?[/quote]email ian crook atcrook@ncfc.co.ukoops thats doncasters email [:P]

[quote user="aussieyellow"]Thanks for the compliment Bobert, whilst its my first post I always read this board and have done for a few years just felt I had something to contribute this time glad you liked it.As for Mick Dundee’s post have to agree on your choice of player he may be worth a punt. There are some talented guys out here and they are a very enthusiastic bunch who live to win but whether they are good enough for the championship I am not sure. I think football here is much slower (but then they are playing in 30+ degrees so that probably explains that one) and to tactical sometimes. They seem to like playing with a sweeper so maybe look out for change in NCFC tactics!Maybe we should set up aussie talent spotting thread![/quote]Might be a bloody short thread, problem is you would have to go with the young guys, anyone over 28 and who has not played outside Australia would simply not be worth the risk.There is defiantly no one from Melbourne, Perth, Sydney or Newcastle I would like to see at Norwich at the moment. Van Dijk is hitting some form at QLD but again it has taken him a fair while to adapt. The other "young guns" at QLD are a bit too raw for my liking.Central Coast - Matt Simon (Striker)Wellington - I would of said Shane Smeltz but he has just signed for Gold Coast, otherwise I am not too familiar with their squad, I will be watching them play Melbourne tonight so maybe I''ll comment on them later.Adelaide - Eugene Galekovic (Goalkeeper) & Scott Jamieson (Left Back), maybe another one agian I will watch them this weekend and comment later.In all honesty though I can''t see Norwich showing much interest in many players from Australia.

[quote user="Mick Dundee"]
Might be a bloody short thread, problem is you would have to go with the young guys, anyone over 28 and who has not played outside Australia would simply not be worth the risk.

There is defiantly no one from Melbourne, Perth, Sydney or Newcastle I would like to see at Norwich at the moment. Van Dijk is hitting some form at QLD but again it has taken him a fair while to adapt. The other "young guns" at QLD are a bit too raw for my liking.

Central Coast - Matt Simon (Striker)

Wellington - I would of said Shane Smeltz but he has just signed for Gold Coast, otherwise I am not too familiar with their squad, I will be watching them play Melbourne tonight so maybe I''ll comment on them later.

Adelaide -
Eugene Galekovic (Goalkeeper) & Scott Jamieson (Left Back), maybe another one agian I will watch them this weekend and comment later.

In all honesty though I can''t see Norwich showing much interest in many players from Australia.

[/quote]

wasn''t he on the books at Bolton as a youngster?

Obviously i''m not an expert on australian football but from what i''ve seen over the years, unless players come over very young and i mean mid teens where they can slot into youth acadamies here they''re very unlikely to make it in Europe, Harry Kewell come over to England at 15.

Unless they have EU passports, or have played a lot of games for Australia, they won''t be getting a work permit.

Matt Simon''s parents are both from the UK I believe so I don''t think he will have too much trouble with a work permit. Not sure about the rest.You don''t need to be over there at 15 any more to make an impact in England, look at Nick Carle at Palace & David Carney at Sheffield United both were signed straight from the A-League. There are players from A-League clubs flying all over the place to have trials with European clubs every week. Nikita Rukavytsya from Perth was in Holland this week on trial at FC Twente where he is apparently he impressed and is going to score a deal. Most half decent players make sure they hold dual passports with their parents country of origin to get around the work permit issue in the UK and Europe.

The only leagues they need worry about work permits is the English Leagues and Scotland, there are no such restrictions in the rest of Europe. Hence the large amount of South Americans in Spain and Italy (although there are often a restriction on the amount of non-EU players allowed in the squad). I had a feeling a lot of players might have a European passport hidden under their mattress somewhere.