Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

Mr Crook's departure a "body blow" in Oz

23/01/2009 4:00:00 AM

NEWCASTLE''S Asian Champions League plans were dealt a body blow yesterday when the club''s high-performance manager, Ian Crook, resigned to accept a position as first-team coach at his former club Norwich City.

Crook, who coached Newcastle in the old National Soccer League, rejoined the Jets in October and was in charge of logistics for the ACL campaign, which kicks off in March.

As well as scouting the cities in China, Japan and Korea where Newcastle will be playing for accommodation and training facilities, Crook has been heavily involved in trying to recruit overseas players before the January transfer window closes.

But he flew out yesterday to join Norwich, with whom he played 418 games between 1986 and 1997 to earn a position in their all-time legends team.

The East Anglia club, who play in the second tier of English football, recently sacked manager Glenn Roeder and replaced him with Bryan Gunn, who offered his former Canaries teammate Crook a role as his right-hand man.

Jets coach Gary van Egmond said last night that Crook''s departure would mean "an extra load" for Newcastle''s staff but added the 46-year-old had not left Newcastle in the lurch.

"It''s a great opportunity for Ian, and we wish him all the best," van Egmond said. "I''m sure he''ll do a fantastic job over there.

"It obviously leaves us a little bit more undermanned, and we need to be able to pick up the pieces collectively.

"Ian has left us a number of contacts to talk to throughout Asia, so with the initial spadework he''s done for the ACL, he''s left us in a good position.

"With recruitment, he''s passed information on to myself and [CEO] John Tsatsimas, and we''ll be endeavouring to finalise those initial stages that Ian started."

Van Egmond was hopeful that, once he had settled, Crook might be able to recommend English and European players for Newcastle to sign.

"He''ll probably start to develop a network in England and also in Europe as well," van Egmond said. "We just want him to be able to get on his feet early on, but he''s said he will contact us and we''ll go from there."

Tsatsimas said Crook might be replaced but not in the short term.

"The credentials of Ian Crook are well documented and you can''t find another Ian Crook overnight," he said.

"We''ll start to look at other alternatives in due course, but at the moment we''ve just got our hands full in terms of the ACL and other areas.

"We''ve just got to focus on the job at hand, and obviously we''re concentrating on our recruitment before the January transfer window closes."

[quote user="The Walking Man"]Seems he was highly rated. Although I suspect his appointment is only for commercial reasons, we need to sell more shirts in the Far East and Down Under![/quote]

You could be right but he may have some phone numbers as well......................

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="The Walking Man"]Seems he was highly rated. Although I suspect his appointment is only for commercial reasons, we need to sell more shirts in the Far East and Down Under![/quote]

You could be right but he may have some phone numbers as well......................

[/quote]He might even know a thing or two about playing football and bring with him some new training and coaching approaches.....

[quote user="The Walking Man"] Seems he was highly rated. Although I suspect his appointment is only for commercial reasons, we need to sell more shirts in the Far East and Down Under! [/quote]I know he was highly rated by those in the know in Japan, although no one really remembers his playing time for Hiroshima as he just blended in with the rest of the "hired guns" that flooded the J-League.Avispa Fukuoka are a very small team in Japan so not really a great amount of noticed was paid towards his time there.It''s a shame most of the players he will know of from Australia and Japan will never be able to play in England due to work permit regulations. I can''t speak for Australia, but I know there are a lot of very talented young Japanese players coming through the leagues after most clubs ran out of money and stopped paying fading international players huge wages.

[quote user="The Walking Man"]Seems he was highly rated. Although I suspect his appointment is only for commercial reasons, we need to sell more shirts in the Far East and Down Under![/quote]Believe me, Ian Crook will not sell a single shirt in Australia, no one and I mean no one knows who he is.

[quote user="Larry David"]What''s a ''high performance manager''?
[/quote]

Google it Larry lad, google it.

Then let us know, let us know......

OTBC

[quote user="Larry David"]What''s a ''high performance manager''?
[/quote]

Google it Larry lad, google it.

Then let us know, let us know......

OTBC

We''ll be back in the Prem again soon then!

That''s good to know. Very comforting.

I wonder if they couldn''t come up with some nice cotton ones this time instead of that nasty polyester.

OTBC

For anyone not to know about Ian Crook down under who has any interest in the sport is totally untrue, He made his mark here as a player, coach and t.v commentator and will be sorely missed