Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Let's Keep Our Feet On The Ground!

The board have made a pragmatic but still high risk decision. No external candidate for the post was likely to take it on on a short-term basis and with little time left in the window and virtually no cash available (if any) would see becoming manager of NCFC as a very high risk move.

Gunny, on the other hand, is here, knows the players and what is likely to get them going and is also cheap in terms of overall cost. However with no previous management experience he has to be placed in the Grant file of high risk appointments. The board have ameliorated this risk by making it short-term so that changes can be made early if it doesn''t come off.

Personally I don''t buy into the yellow and green backgoumd crap coming out of Carrow Road. To me the essential criteria would be can the new appointee demonstrate a record of success at this level and achieved on next to nothing. A yellow and green link might be desirable but certainly not essential. What links did Alex Ferguson have with United, Wenger with Arsenal for instance?

However, who is to say that the new team can''t pull it off and that this time next season we''ll be marvelling at the board''s brilliance in this appointment? Bertie Mee was the Arsenal physio before being made manager and he led them to the double. So come on Gumnny and Co, we are behind you and wish you (and in consequence ourselves) well. If it does go all pear shaped let''s focus our ire on those still culpable for the club''s situation, the board, and not on a hapless manager put in an impossible position.  

Tuesday''s match now seems far more important than ever. We need at east 4 points from the next two games and while we had no manager, I was confident that the dismissal of Roeder alone would be enough to secure at least those points plus a comfortable victory over Barnsley. Actually, despite the Barnsley scoreline, it was finely poised up until half time (thank you Rigters!) and despite Russell''s non-stop running, I think I would have played Lupoli from the start with Russell either as a fresh legs sub or starting instead of Fotheringham. I am a big supporter of the new management team - but should we fail to get the win on Tuesday I can see all the knives coming out and the pressure building. Maybe Southampton will step up their game knowing we have the new manager and our players might just ease up a little, now they are back in a degree of "comfort zone". That said, I think we will win, and if Southampton have an off day we might just tear them to pieces. That would set up the Doncaster match nicely.