Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

CITY VIEW - Board deserves applause for thrilling appointment

What is hilarious is the comment:"Whether Gunn can, week after week, get the same response from his

players as he did against Barnsley last week remains to be seen..."as if that is a minor factor, when it is the ONLY factor that matters.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]What is hilarious is the comment:

"Whether Gunn can, week after week, get the same response from his players as he did against Barnsley last week remains to be seen..."

as if that is a minor factor, when it is the ONLY factor that matters.[/quote]

Correct - I have emailed the author begging to differ on this ''thrilling appointment'' (of Gunn I might add, the other two are fine and Chippy is many years overdue). Seems that short termism now governs appointing a football manager based solely on one good 45 minues performance. Lets face it the first half was no beter than in the GR days. No way can Gunns appointment have been PURELY on ''footballing criteria'', in my view the other applicants were eased quickly out of the ''interview'' process by the job criteria.

One question to all those scrambling to jump on board the legend  / club bandwagon - IF the boy Worthy had responded positively to ''the enquiry'' and the Irish FA had said ''ok'' I wonder where we would be now???

Of course it''s a risk! Any appointment would be a risk! How many times have you seen managers leave a club where they''ve been really successful only to fail dismally at their new club? Even if we''d persuaded Alex Ferguson to leave Man U for the bright lights of Norwich there is no guarantee that he''d be any better at the job than the completely untried and untested Gunn! Who knows, even Wiz might turn out to be a fantastic manager (I doubt it though, he moans and complains more than Roeder did [;)]).

To be fair Peter Walsh''s co writer David Powles gave a more critical view the day before.

Two fair alternative points of view.

To cheer me up... come on Butterworth, the one coach with a decent record.

A new low for City View, and some their articles have already plumbed new depths this season.

If I wanted to read several hundred words of sycophantic drivel, I would have visited the NCFC Official Site.

[quote user="london Canary"]he makes it sound like the board are do US  favour by this appointment!!.....i think it is a massive risk[/quote]No it''s not - just the opposite. Right now we need a motivator - an Anti-Roeder. Gunn knows the club AND the players. The Board and the players know Gunn. No hidden surprises then on that count. Ince, Jewell, - even Boothroyd would have introduced an unknown factor - and hence a bigger risk. Just relax, cheer - and enjoy.

mr walsh has got caught up in "bryan gunn the legend" and not bryan gunn the manager.needs a re write, im not saying he is wrong but still, it should surely be a professional opinion and not caught up in histeria?

"Fans, quite rightly, are quick to criticise the board when things go

wrong at Carrow Road, but with this announcement it is clear to see

that they have the club''s best interests at heart and have listened to

the fans."Oh for God''s sake.  Have you been on a column writing course hosted by Mick Dennis?How is gambling on an unproven rookie and backroom club flunky for 10 years putting the club''s best interests first?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]"Fans, quite rightly, are quick to criticise the board when things go wrong at Carrow Road, but with this announcement it is clear to see that they have the club''s best interests at heart and have listened to the fans."

Oh for God''s sake.  Have you been on a column writing course hosted by Mick Dennis?

How is gambling on an unproven rookie and backroom club flunky for 10 years putting the club''s best interests first?
[/quote]

Could the board of NCFC Plc., please identify THE FANS they have listened to. 

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="london Canary"]he makes it sound like the board are do US  favour by this appointment!!.....i think it is a massive risk
[/quote]

No it''s not - just the opposite. Right now we need a motivator - an Anti-Roeder. Gunn knows the club AND the players. The Board and the players know Gunn. No hidden surprises then on that count. Ince, Jewell, - even Boothroyd would have introduced an unknown factor - and hence a bigger risk. Just relax, cheer - and enjoy.
[/quote]

relax, cheer and enjoy....you know as well as i do that them three things rarely come with being a norwich fan!! : ) I will be gtting behind the team don''t get me wrong. I just hope he can keep the confidence levels up after that first defeat, when the doubt start to creep back in....All the good sides very rarely lose two games in a row. It''s how you respond when you lose that first game

The one thing this club needs right now is a mamager who knows the ability, strengths and weakness of each player we have. We need a manager who knows how each player ticks, A manager who knows which player needs an arm around his shoulder and a few encouraging words and which needs a rocket up his rear end.

Gunn fits all the above. Bring in Boothroyd, Ince or anyone else and they would have to start to learn about all the players from scratch. We havn''t got time for this so the appointment of Gunn was both logical and sensible.

I also happen to believe Gunn, Crook and Butterworth if he arrives could be a hell of a good team.