Sign in to follow this  
koimatsuba

I fear the worst, but I must support the club

Hi all, especialy 1st Wizard.

I knew it, during the game on saturday I clearly said like to others around me, this game and every goal is cementing Gunns feet into this poistion! everyone said I was mad.

Narrrr!, just a one-off we''ll get a real experinced manager in, don''t you worry. I then commented on the fans chants and the look on delia''s face when the third and forth goals went in.
(I couldn''t see it but can only imagine!)

24,5k fans, 4-0 up, fans calling for gunny, what else matters?

I of course will always support NCFC and hope this new team goes well, but I fear that we have took the cheap and easy option.

this is the senario:

1.   Gunn does well and we stay up: Gunn gets job next season.
2.   We get relegated after a poor run of results, every one gets on Gunns and the boards necks, next season we still have Gunn incharge as NOBODY wants to manage a League 1 side.
3.   Gunn does average and NCFC does average and in 15 months time we all call for his head, a legand is ruined.

As for my season ticket next season, well it was always going to be a tricky affair, money is tight at present and also the poor performances the last three seasons have put me off another year of terror.
Do I think that this job appointment has changed my mind? With the bookies telling us Ince, Boothroyd and maybe even Curbushly all were in with a shout and we pick Gunn.

Unless theres and miracle new buyer and losts of cash, then I fear this is my last season. The board have lost my faith. Its like they have just sat down and said, "well the fans love him and he has
yellow blood, he did win 4-0! .... oh well just get Gunny, its simple".

1st Wizard and others do you share my thoughts? the cheap option or a ''DREAM TEAM''?

for me when I first heard the news I thought, ''oh bl**dy God''...''what a buch of cheap skate idiots''

Lets hope I''m wrong!

Cheers All

This is what i''m struggling to grasp, this isn''t just this post but many others. Everybody is agreed that we don''t have any money at the moment, right? So the board are blamed for taking the cheap route. In fairness if we''ve got no money we can''t exactly take the expensive route. Anyways who is to say that the cheap option isn''t the best option. How many people complained that we took the cheap option in appointing a relatively inexperienced manager from within, in the form of Nigel Worthington? There is no point stressing about what happens at the end of the season when it is now that counts. We know what might happen but we don''t know what WILL happen...

[quote user="The Walking Man"]This is what i''m struggling to grasp, this isn''t just this post but many others. Everybody is agreed that we don''t have any money at the moment, right? So the board are blamed for taking the cheap route. In fairness if we''ve got no money we can''t exactly take the expensive route. Anyways who is to say that the cheap option isn''t the best option. How many people complained that we took the cheap option in appointing a relatively inexperienced manager from within, in the form of Nigel Worthington? There is no point stressing about what happens at the end of the season when it is now that counts. We know what might happen but we don''t know what WILL happen...[/quote]

This isn''t the piont! Just because we have no money doesn''t mean we have to pick the easy route with Gunn and co! If the bookies were right we could have had Ince, Malkay, Boothroyd etc etc .. These are proven mamagers not a complete gamble with Gunny! when you are 2 points from the zone you can''t gamble with a club that if its relegated WILL go into Administration and lose a min of 10-15 points. YOU MUST BUY the experince and get what you pay for.

We could have had Tesco''s finest but instead we bought the Aldi cheap pack and hoped that it tastes ok when we get it home!

Cheers

Sorry Koimatsuba, but Malky''s a proven manager?  Where was that, then? And Ince? - not at anything like this level.  Boothroyd would have been my first choice, but I am happy enough with what we''ve been given.  Every manager in the game has to start out somewhere.  Watford supporters were mystified when AB went there, he was totally inexperienced and they were all convinced they would go down but within 14 months they had been promoted.  I''m far from saying that will happen to us, but how can you be sure that it won''t?  Or that one of the Ince/whoever brigade would not have been another expensive mistake.

Of course we all have doubts, but I''m optimistic that things are looking up.

[quote user="koimatsuba"]

[quote user="The Walking Man"]This is what i''m struggling to grasp, this isn''t just this post but many others. Everybody is agreed that we don''t have any money at the moment, right? So the board are blamed for taking the cheap route. In fairness if we''ve got no money we can''t exactly take the expensive route. Anyways who is to say that the cheap option isn''t the best option. How many people complained that we took the cheap option in appointing a relatively inexperienced manager from within, in the form of Nigel Worthington? There is no point stressing about what happens at the end of the season when it is now that counts. We know what might happen but we don''t know what WILL happen...[/quote]

This isn''t the piont! Just because we have no money doesn''t mean we have to pick the easy route with Gunn and co! If the bookies were right we could have had Ince, Malkay, Boothroyd etc etc .. These are proven mamagers not a complete gamble with Gunny! when you are 2 points from the zone you can''t gamble with a club that if its relegated WILL go into Administration and lose a min of 10-15 points. YOU MUST BUY the experince and get what you pay for.

We could have had Tesco''s finest but instead we bought the Aldi cheap pack and hoped that it tastes ok when we get it home!

Cheers

[/quote]

Don''t forget the bookies are there to get your money and mislead you ( they certainly got that right ! ).

Nothing wrong with the aldi cheap pack, its just a credit crunch adjustment which we are all having to get used to. NCFC are not immune from this and have cut the cloth to suit their finances.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Sorry Koimatsuba, but Malky''s a proven manager?  Where was that, then? And Ince? - not at anything like this level.  Boothroyd would have been my first choice, but I am happy enough with what we''ve been given.  Every manager in the game has to start out somewhere.  Watford supporters were mystified when AB went there, he was totally inexperienced and they were all convinced they would go down but within 14 months they had been promoted.  I''m far from saying that will happen to us, but how can you be sure that it won''t?  Or that one of the Ince/whoever brigade would not have been another expensive mistake.

Of course we all have doubts, but I''m optimistic that things are looking up.

[/quote]

So when you heard it was gunn and some old boys what did you really think at first????

I know what I did? and still do. If you thought ''oh great, what a brilliant idea, Gunn must be pleased, the fans all love him, I''m sure he''ll do well, the players get on with him don''t they?''

Then you must be as stupid as the board. I was just totally naffed off in my lunch hour when I heard about it! Malky with Boothroyd and Ince has won a championship and promtion and a cup final. Thats more than 1 game!
And a goalkeeper?

com''on think about it.

IMO it is not just Gunn, though - if it was him alone I''d be right with you.  But it isn''t.  IMO Deehan and Crook returning are very good appointments, and with one more rumoured to be coming in.  If you aren''t going to be even remotely optimistic about Norwich people running Norwich the club and being able to instil some sort of passion for the club in the players, then fine, but I am.

Roeder was experienced in football management but it didn''t make him good at it!

After the disasterous Roeder era we need a manager with man management skills,  extensive knowledge of the club, someone who delegates, easy to get on with, who people respects and not with a huge chip on his shoulder!

I think the effects of Roeder not being there has created a feel good factor at the club which will result in the players giving better performances which will probably lead to more points and Championship safety. We just need a person at the helm to calmly guide it through without upseting the applecart!

Gunn will be more of a figurehead manager with Crook, Deehan, the un named assist to Gunn and Tommy Wright will do much of the work and that lot are experienced!

The only other possible appointment that would of been better would of been Boothroyd and Mackay!

Believe me I''m far from convinced about Gunn but feel in the present time he is a sensible and best option available and much less of a risk than a Dowie or Ince!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]IMO it is not just Gunn, though - if it was him alone I''d be right with you.  But it isn''t.  IMO Deehan and Crook returning are very good appointments, and with one more rumoured to be coming in.  If you aren''t going to be even remotely optimistic about Norwich people running Norwich the club and being able to instil some sort of passion for the club in the players, then fine, but I am.[/quote]

True, but how long b4 Deehan says, "you don''t want to do it like that..you want to do it like this..."

and Crook thinks, "how come he got the managers job, I know more than him!"

Still not impressed. the whole Worthy approach and this appointment has damaged our already ''little ol norwich club out there in the sticks" crap.

Cheers for you reply.

Time will tell, as always!

Any appointment would be a risk.

Bearing in my Bryan knows this club inside out I would say the risk is small. The likes of Ince and Boothrooyd would have been bigger risks for me. Both have struggled and Gunn surrounds himself with people who know football.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Any appointment would be a risk. Bearing in my Bryan knows this club inside out I would say the risk is small. The likes of Ince and Boothrooyd would have been bigger risks for me. Both have struggled and Gunn surrounds himself with people who know football.[/quote]

Blimey - so Youth Coach here, First Team Coach at Leeds, Manager at Watford (one Championship promotion and one Play Off) and the guy has ''struggled''!! I''ll take that personally. What would his track record have to be for you to rate him then??? 

I''ll admit I wasn''t happy at Gunn getting the job but then I wasn''t unhappy.  I am however now coming round to the idea...........On top of his connections to the club and the area I am liking the way Gunn is exuding a quiet confidence as well.  He has acknowledged that he could be putting his legendary status on line which suggests to me that he has not just taken the job on a wim.  He says he has wanted it for ten years, how many of the other candidates can say that?  Gunn is desperate for success with City because he loves the club, others like Ince would come here (like Roeder did) looking to get their career back on track.  I really beleive that Roeder thought the this club and Championship was beneath him and that he could have some quick success and get back in the PL as soon as possible.  We don''t want someone taking a backwards step to be here.Finally I think that his lack of experience doesn''t matter much.  All he really needs to do is keep it simple.  Keep the players happy and confident, play a a formation and tactics that the players are comfortable with, play people in their best positions and (unlike Roeder) stop changing the lineup from match to match.  In short, if he just lets the players play and keeps them enjoying playing I think he can be success.At the end of the day, why a manager was appointed doesn''t matter.  What matters is that they do the job asked.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Any appointment would be a risk. Bearing in my Bryan knows this club inside out I would say the risk is small. The likes of Ince and Boothrooyd would have been bigger risks for me. Both have struggled and Gunn surrounds himself with people who know football.[/quote]

Blimey - so Youth Coach here, First Team Coach at Leeds, Manager at Watford (one Championship promotion and one Play Off) and the guy has ''struggled''!! I''ll take that personally. What would his track record have to be for you to rate him then??? 

[/quote]I think the point is Rider that Boothroyd did exactly at Watford that Worthington did here which earned him he sack.  Boothroyd has left Watford exactly were he found them, in the poop.

Cheers

[/quote]Really?Ince no championship experience - sucess at a lower level but a failure at Premier level with a question over his relationship with players.Malky - no management experience.Boothroyd - one good year, hopelessly out of his depth thereafter.Some dream team!Re your metaphor - we could have gone for prepackaged supermarket rubbish - all packaging and no quality but instead we chose locally-produced and home grown. I know what I would buy everytime.I wonder what some of these posters would have made of the appointments of Stringer and Walker if this board had existed then?

I knew it, during the game on saturday I clearly said like to others around me, this game and every goal is cementing Gunns feet into this poistion! everyone said I was mad.

Narrrr!, just a one-off we''ll get a real experinced manager in, don''t you worry. I then commented on the fans chants and the look on delia''s face when the third and forth goals went in.

I of course will always support NCFC and hope this new team goes well, but I fear that we have took the cheap and easy option.

this is the senario:

2.   We get relegated after a poor run of results, every one gets on Gunns and the boards necks, next season we still have Gunn incharge as NOBODY wants to manage a League 1 side.
3.   Gunn does average and NCFC does average and in 15 months time we all call for his head, a legand is ruined.

As for my season ticket next season, well it was always going to be a tricky affair, money is tight at present and also the poor performances the last three seasons have put me off another year of terror.
Do I think that this job appointment has changed my mind? With the bookies telling us Ince, Boothroyd and maybe even Curbushly all were in with a shout and we pick Gunn.

Unless theres and miracle new buyer and losts of cash, then I fear this is my last season. The board have lost my faith. Its like they have just sat down and said, "well the fans love him and he has

1st Wizard and others do you share my thoughts? the cheap option or a ''DREAM TEAM''?

for me when I first heard the news I thought, ''oh bl**dy God''...''what a buch of cheap skate idiots''

Lets hope I''m wrong!

Cheers All

[/quote]

Top post koimatsuba, and I agree with so much you of what you say, this so called dream team might do well, lets all hope so for all our sakes that it does, but alas I fear, a real nightmare is more likely!

I too was a tad vexed off when I first heard Gunn had got the job. However having listened to the man on five live yesterday evening my opnions on his appointment somewhat changed. Why? Because I compared his attitude and his persona to that of a certain Glenn Roeder. It is incredible what impression a couple of sentances can make. He came across as a very calm and collected individual, someone who knows how to breed confidence, someone who can be approached with ideas, and most importantly someone who naturally accepts rather than demands the respect from his players. When compared to Glenn Roeder the difference in character is insurmountable. He appears to have all the qualities of a good man manager, qualities that Roeder never has and never will develop. He loves to talk about the club, he loves to talk about the players, he cant wait to tell people how proud he is of his assosiation with the City of Norwich. He is a genuine man and the players seem to have already detected that. We never had this with Grant and Roeder. They were too quick to criticise and play the blame game. They showed no confidence in the players when the going got tough. Gunn is different.

Im not saying he is the saviour of our club. Far from it infact. The fans deserved a proven and experienced manager. But what I will say is that Gunn has qualities that our club has lacked for a very long time. I will give him a chance. I just pray that the players respond to his personable approach rather than abuse it.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="koimatsuba"]

this is the senario:

Lets hope I''m wrong!

Cheers All

[/quote]

Top post koimatsuba, and I agree with so much you of what you say, this so called dream team might do well, lets all hope so for all our sakes that it does, but alas I fear, a real nightmare is more likely!

[/quote]

But what IF, and it''s a big IF Bryan, Dixie and Chippy get things right, we get points on the board, which is what we all want surely?  Surely they should be backed until the results prove they don''t deserve that backing? Gunny hasn''t even had a game in charge as manager yet, and some are so quick to slate him, give the guy a chance.

All I know is that last Saturday at the match I felt something which I haven''t felt in eons at CR, an atmosphere, hope, a desire to win, and mostly seeing the players WANT to play and enjoying playing.  It was wonderful for the first time in years to walk out of CR feeling pride in the colours, knowing our lads went out on the pitch and enjoyed playing, without the fear and restrictions from Roeder.

Ok so it''s only one match, but the difference was immense.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Blimey, you could almost be talking about Nigel Worthington there, except that Worthington won the division and had a higher win % over a longer period of time. If you have read what the Watford fans have had to say about him, Boothroyd apparently has a high turnover of players on big wages. Paul Ince has only had 3 seasons tops at management, he did well at Maccesfield, and MK Dons (albeit with plenty of cash) and failed disastrously at Blackburn.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]IMO it is not just Gunn, though - if it was him alone I''d be right with you.  But it isn''t.  IMO Deehan and Crook returning are very good appointments, and with one more rumoured to be coming in.  If you aren''t going to be even remotely optimistic about Norwich people running Norwich the club and being able to instil some sort of passion for the club in the players, then fine, but I am.[/quote]

True, but how long b4 Deehan says, "you don''t want to do it like that..you want to do it like this..."

and Crook thinks, "how come he got the managers job, I know more than him!"

Still not impressed. the whole Worthy approach and this appointment has damaged our already ''little ol norwich club out there in the sticks" crap.

Cheers for you reply.

Time will tell, as always!

[/quote]

That could be said about any coaching set up. Gunn''s the one with the job it will be his final decision on how to do things. Deehan, Crook and the No.2 will have opinions but it is Gunns responsibility to make the final decision. As for the little ol'' norwich comment, i''m afraid that is how people have and always will perceive us. We are out in the sticks, many ignorant people can''t point to Norwich on a map, our football club has been and is perceived as unfashionable and we aren''t near the big areas of Birmingham and London. I don''t like the tag as much as the next person but that is how we will always be perceived unless radical changes in infastructure and social mobility (?) are undertaken.

[quote user="The Walking Man"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Blimey, you could almost be talking about Nigel Worthington there, except that Worthington won the division and had a higher win % over a longer period of time. If you have read what the Watford fans have had to say about him, Boothroyd apparently has a high turnover of players on big wages. Paul Ince has only had 3 seasons tops at management, he did well at Maccesfield, and MK Dons (albeit with plenty of cash) and failed disastrously at Blackburn.

[/quote]

And ,er, what has the legend had then? Big fat ''zilch'' that''s what. Hope I''m proved wrong  but to say this was ....''purely a footballing decision'' (ND today) is a bit like saying that Turkeys welcome the Christmas season!!  

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

All I know is that last Saturday at the match I felt something which I haven''t felt in eons at CR, an atmosphere, hope, a desire to win, and mostly seeing the players WANT to play and enjoying playing. 

[/quote]

Cast your mind back to 4 Nov 07. There was a rejuvinated atmosphere inside Carrow Road that day too. Tends to happen whenever a new manager is appointed. The question is how long will it last?

That''s very true, but the atmosphere this time is different, don''t know how and can''t explain it.  Normally I''m quite pessamistic, if you have read any of my previous posts, you will see.  However, I am nervous just like any other fan, that things ''may'' go very pete tong.

I tend to go on gut instinct, listen to what is being said (by Gunny and Dixie) mainly, and weigh up arguments for and against.

We all know we are deep doo-doo, and still face the prospect of league one football.  This is the boards last chance saloon, I think they know that if it all goes wrong they will get the flak and not the management team.

How long will the optomism and good feeling last?  How long is a piece of string? 

If we go on a winning run (which is likely after new manager in), then AFAIC as a fan it''s a good thing.  If we don''t then we are no worse or better off than under Grant or Roeder.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="koimatsuba"]

this is the senario:

Lets hope I''m wrong!

Cheers All

[/quote]

[/quote]

But what IF, and it''s a big IF Bryan, Dixie and Chippy get things right, we get points on the board, which is what we all want surely?  Surely they should be backed until the results prove they don''t deserve that backing? Gunny hasn''t even had a game in charge as manager yet, and some are so quick to slate him, give the guy a chance.

All I know is that last Saturday at the match I felt something which I haven''t felt in eons at CR, an atmosphere, hope, a desire to win, and mostly seeing the players WANT to play and enjoying playing.  It was wonderful for the first time in years to walk out of CR feeling pride in the colours, knowing our lads went out on the pitch and enjoyed playing, without the fear and restrictions from Roeder.

[/quote]

I never said I wasn''t going to back Gunn & co, just that I wasn''t happy with the appointment. With all the hype in the papers regarding the other hopefulls, the betting odds the newspaper and websites, and in the end I feel that they never even got an interview, like delia, munby and co had made their mind up after the game on saturday. And with a stupid 2000 facebook replies/sign-ons it just seems stupid.

In the end of the day there nothing I or others can do, we could have got worse like dowie, time will tel and I''m not one to say I told you so if it goes all wrong because we didn''t choose the manager.

Lets hope for the best, still don''t see me renewing my season ticket though, fed up being taken for a fool by this board.

cheers

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="koimatsuba"] 

Cheers

[/quote]Really?Ince no championship experience - sucess at a lower level but a failure at Premier level with a question over his relationship with players.Malky - no management experience.Boothroyd - one good year, hopelessly out of his depth thereafter.Some dream team!Re your metaphor - we could have gone for prepackaged supermarket rubbish - all packaging and no quality but instead we chose locally-produced and home grown. I know what I would buy everytime.I wonder what some of these posters would have made of the appointments of Stringer and Walker if this board had existed then?[/quote]

Boothroyd - Two Playoff appearances , one of which was a promotion to the premiership and an FA cup semi final appearance to boot . Will never understand the anti-boothroyd argument...

I''m just glad the journey man type of manager didn''t come in. Ince, Dowie etc. And I''m assuming the astute option of Boothroyd with his city connections was too expensive?

Still I could think of much worse options than Gunny coming in, like Roedent still being here, or Worthy coming back!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

That''s very true, but the atmosphere this time is different, don''t know how and can''t explain it.  Normally I''m quite pessamistic, if you have read any of my previous posts, you will see.  However, I am nervous just like any other fan, that things ''may'' go very pete tong.

I tend to go on gut instinct, listen to what is being said (by Gunny and Dixie) mainly, and weigh up arguments for and against.

We all know we are deep doo-doo, and still face the prospect of league one football.  This is the boards last chance saloon, I think they know that if it all goes wrong they will get the flak and not the management team.

How long will the optomism and good feeling last?  How long is a piece of string? 

If we go on a winning run (which is likely after new manager in), then AFAIC as a fan it''s a good thing.  If we don''t then we are no worse or better off than under Grant or Roeder.

[/quote]Think a lot of change in feeling is that GR was such a depressing influence on the club, mainly due to his attitude, that almost anybody who had taken the Barnsley match would have provoked a similar response to what Gunny got. It was similar when Grant came in for Worthy and when Roeder came in for Grant, more a sense of relief but for different reasons to exit of Roeder.

I have grave reservations about new team but have just renewed season ticket and hope I don''t get 15% reduction at end of season.

I wish new team all the best for season and they could do it, It''s just that odds seem against it. Addition of Crook could be big positive factor and new Assistant is yet to come in looking like Butterworth ( so EDP says). Yes it could work.

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]Think a lot of change in feeling is that GR was such a depressing influence on the club, mainly due to his attitude, that almost anybody who had taken the Barnsley match would have provoked a similar response to what Gunny got. It was similar when Grant came in for Worthy and when Roeder came in for Grant, more a sense of relief but for different reasons to exit of Roeder.

I have grave reservations about new team but have just renewed season ticket and hope I don''t get 15% reduction at end of season.

I wish new team all the best for season and they could do it, It''s just that odds seem against it. Addition of Crook could be big positive factor and new Assistant is yet to come in looking like Butterworth ( so EDP says). Yes it could work.

[/quote]

Agreed about the change in feeling having a fair bit to do with Roeder leaving.  It''s interesting to read and watch some of the players reactions to Gunny & Co being in charge, they all seem pleased, players also saying they feel more relaxed and Gunny has made a difference already, which IMHO is only a good thing.  It''s important that the players enjoy playing again and aren''t scared to make a few mistakes.

I do believe, and I may be wrong, that the team will fight now for the rest of the season to keep us up.  But only time will tell.

Chippy is now here in Norfolk, recovering after the long flight and it siad on CW that he will be at Colney for training this weekend, so he will have some input for the game next week.  If Butters is coming in, then again it can only be a good thing IMO.

All in all we have ex-players who have NCFC at heart and only want us to succeed, another positive.

Of course there is a lot of uncertainty, but that might have been the case had we had a high profile manager too.

All we can do is back the team.

[quote user="koimatsuba"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="koimatsuba"]

this is the senario:

Lets hope I''m wrong!

Cheers All

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I never said I wasn''t going to back Gunn & co, just that I wasn''t happy with the appointment. With all the hype in the papers regarding the other hopefulls, the betting odds the newspaper and websites, and in the end I feel that they never even got an interview, like delia, munby and co had made their mind up after the game on saturday. And with a stupid 2000 facebook replies/sign-ons it just seems stupid.

In the end of the day there nothing I or others can do, we could have got worse like dowie, time will tel and I''m not one to say I told you so if it goes all wrong because we didn''t choose the manager.

Lets hope for the best, still don''t see me renewing my season ticket though, fed up being taken for a fool by this board.

cheers

[/quote]

Thats exactly what I tried to say and failed, cheers for that.[Y]