Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Whatever you think of Doomcaster...

...these comments are absolutely bang on the mark and give an insight into why he moved faster than many predicted to get rid of roedent.

“There was a very real need to recreate a connection with supporters, a connection that has undoubtedly been lacking in recent months, a perception of supporters that they feel remote from their team, a feeling they haven''t been loved and respected in a way they feel they should”

I''m glad he recognises that Roeder lost the fans and that his team - with all the loans - was disconnected from the fans and the community. Roeder thought that didn''t matter, and that is ultimately why he''s not here anymore.

But then he went and spoke to Worthy and asked him to come back..... or so we are led to believe. If that was so and Worthy excepted, Mr D and board would have a nasty shock re most supporters reaction.

To be fair to ND I think he got plenty of advice once the approach was made public and the offer wouldn''t have got any further.

If I sacked somebody from my business because he could not do the job and two employees later, who had been sacked for not doing the same job, tried to re emply him, to do the job I sacked him for. I would have to ask  is the job wrong or am I unable to select the right people. 

Truthfull answer would have to be my selection process and my judgement.

Or the job is to difficult under the circumstances I am putting them in.

So well done and have another re-think Mr D and hope something changes this time!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]But then he went and spoke to Worthy and asked him to come back..... or so we are led to believe. If that was so and Worthy excepted, Mr D and board would have a nasty shock re most supporters reaction. To be fair to ND I think he got plenty of advice once the approach was made public and the offer wouldn''t have got any further.[/quote]

Absolutely right Bury Yellow! Just goes to show though how (IMO) the Board are hopelessly inadequate in their footballing decisions. To have even ''enquired'' about Worthy was sheer madness. If Wothy and Irish FA had reacted positively does anyone seriously think Gunn would now be the top man!! 

Whatever you think of Doomcaster........You can always count on him to pee on your bonfire.“Of course, every pound that you spend on one thing is a pound less that you can spend on players. So it clearly has an impact.The man is incapable of speaking without slipping in an excuse why the board will not spend money on players.

Whatever you think of Doomcaster........You can always count on him to pee on your bonfire.“Of course, every pound that you spend on one thing is a pound less that you can spend on players. So it clearly has an impact". ( Quote ND same article as OP ) The man is incapable of speaking without slipping in an excuse why the board will not spend money on players.

My point is more that, whatever you think of him, including the Worthy business, he was right to note that the whole club was being cut adrift from the fans and the community.

It''s good that he realised that and that he/the board acted fast to stop it. And the appointments made should help rebuild the bridges that Roeder incinerated with a flame thrower.

I don''t think we really know enough about the whole Worthington thing anyway. It could have been a board decision just to sound him out so that all options could be put on the table. I don''t think he ever would have been appointed. Or it could have been the IFA over-reacting to warn us off.

I don''t see the problem, The Prisoner. What ND said there is a simple enough fact to grasp, and just because you don''t like it doesn''t mean it''s any less true.

The £600,000 that we used to pay off Roeder is £600,000 we can''t spend elsewhere, no?

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]But then he went and spoke to Worthy and asked him to come back..... or so we are led to believe. If that was so and Worthy excepted, Mr D and board would have a nasty shock re most supporters reaction. To be fair to ND I think he got plenty of advice once the approach was made public and the offer wouldn''t have got any further.[/quote]

Absolutely right Bury Yellow! Just goes to show though how (IMO) the Board are hopelessly inadequate in their footballing decisions. To have even ''enquired'' about Worthy was sheer madness. If Wothy and Irish FA had reacted positively does anyone seriously think Gunn would now be the top man!! 

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more.....

The Chief Executive is correct in saying that the fans felt disconnected from the Club but why the hell did the Board even think about Nigel Worthington ? The atmosphere when he left in 2006 was poisonous so how did Mr Doncaster & Co. think us fans would react had he been re-appointed ? When it was discovered that an approach had been made the Chief Executive tried to back-track by stating that no formal approach had been made. So what? By then their already laughable credibility had been further damaged.

I agree with YR that had Worthington expressed an interest and we had been allowed to formally approach him I have no doubt that he would, by now, be our manager again. I want Bryan Gunn and his team to succeed, I really do, but I can''t help feeling that the Board have taken an easy option here.

I just hope that if it all goes wrong the Board will be brave enough to take all the flak. 

I think we all know the answer to that one.... 

[quote user="question mark"]

I don''t see the problem, The Prisoner. What ND said there is a simple enough fact to grasp, and just because you don''t like it doesn''t mean it''s any less true.

The £600,000 that we used to pay off Roeder is £600,000 we can''t spend elsewhere, no?

[/quote]I fully understand the issue but what I don''t like is the fact ND uses every opportunity to blub about having no money to spend. Whatever happened to the old ''we don''t want other clubs knowing how much we''ve got to spend'' mentality?I''ll tell you what happened to it we bluffed our way through every transfer period for years by spending next to nothing and in the end everyone knew we didn''t have any real money to spend. I cannot think of one player we scooped a real bargain with by applying that policy we weren''t being clever we were making excuses for being skint and I''m just as sick of this new policy of just telling us all the time we have no money because it''s directed at the fans this time not other clubs. If we''ve got no money fine just get on with it and do the best with what we have got don''t try and slip in a placatory blub each time you''re near the press because some of us are intelligent enough to know that we''ve been let down time and again with spending on the squad so it''s a little late for gentle letdowns no matter how much pathos you butter them with.