Sign in to follow this  
canarytom

Ched Evans

Sheffield United and Celtic both want Manchester City striker Ched Evans, with Parkhead boss Gordon Strachan having already agreed a £1.2m fee for the 20-year-old. (The Sun)

Seems like a bargain to me. Can we not stretch to this?

[quote user="canarytom"]

Sheffield United and Celtic both want Manchester City striker Ched Evans, with Parkhead boss Gordon Strachan having already agreed a £1.2m fee for the 20-year-old. (The Sun)

[/quote]NOPE!!! AND  £1.2MIL IS A BARGAIN

It''s a shame as I''m sure he loved it here, and he would have done well for us here.Unfortunately, I don''t think we have 1.2 million to splash out, but if we did have any money right now, I think Ched Evans is what it should be spent on!

So what would you prefer...a) Ched for £1.2M + some more loan players.b) 2 or 3 cheaper permanent signings and less loaneesNot suggesting we can do either - as you said, I don''t think we have £1.2M to spend in this transfer window but assuming we do...

1.2 million is an absolute bargain. Unfortunatley Norwich would be too short sighted to realise a great investment opportunity like this. If we are not able to muster this fee from somewhere then we are really in muddle financially.

[quote user="Lazza"]So what would you prefer...a) Ched for £1.2M + some more loan players.b) 2 or 3 cheaper permanent signings and less loaneesNot suggesting we can do either - as you said, I don''t think we have £1.2M to spend in this transfer window but assuming we do...[/quote]Spend the money on Ched, no question... easily the most effortlessly classy striker I''ve seen at this club in a long time! I was talking about him last night with a Blades fan and stated (a little drunkenly after enjoying a beer festival) that I think that if he continues developing he''ll become twice the player Dean Ashton is (or, rather, could have been).... seems correct even in the cold light of day!

[quote user="canarytom"]

[/quote]Possibly the fee, but I doubt we''d be able to compete with Celtic on personal terms and wages...

He''s a good striker, no doubt, but is he what we need? I''d be looking for someone bigger and stronger for Cureton and Lupoli to play off. Carl Cort would have fitted the bill a couple of years ago!

If they get him for £1.2 million, then in today''s market they''ve got an absolute bargain. He will score bucketloads in the SPL that''s for sure.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]He''s a good striker, no doubt, but is he what we need? I''d be looking for someone bigger and stronger for Cureton and Lupoli to play off. Carl Cort would have fitted the bill a couple of years ago!
[/quote]

Ched is a lot stronger than his size says he should be. I watched him quite closely when he was at City and he wasn''t frighthened to get stuck in, put himself about and shove much bigger defenders off the ball!

If we have any money to spend, it could not be better spent than on Ched..in fact if we could offload a couple of players to pay for him, i would do that! He would be an investment for the future!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Possibly the fee, but I doubt we''d be able to compete with Celtic on personal terms and wages...[/quote]Interesting point, but is he likely to be starting on a regular basis?We''d virtually guarantee him a start every week, at a club with great support, and he doesn''t have to move to Scotland...I get the feeling that Evans likes to be in the spotlight and being an unused sub for Celtic is unlikely to be attractive, whereas at least a move to use would give him that each week, and put him in a position to command a move to a top prem side where he''d play.I''m astounded that no other prem teams have apparently gone in for him.Assuming we have the cash, I feel we should make the approach, and leave the decision to the player, at worst we''ve tried, at best we get a great player for a cracking price.

[quote user="nolegs"]Don''t think we could even muster the .2 let alone the mill
[/quote]

Would be funny if it weren''t so true [:''(]

I can remember when we failed to invest 2 million in Peter Crouch when he was available after being on loan, and look how much we could have done with him for the first three months in the Prem. We would probably have stayed up with him.

Now it seems we are repeating the same mistake of short-sightedness with Ched.  It''s obvious that in time we would make money on the guy, and also he would virtually guarantee us staying in the Championship.  Such a shame !!  

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]some one email Doncaster, and ask if we could afford him
[/quote]

I know it''s been posted on here before but what''s his email address?

[quote user="canarytom"]

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]some one email Doncaster, and ask if we could afford him
[/quote]

I know it''s been posted on here before but what''s his email address?

[/quote]

Can''t someone ring up Carl Moore? He said he would be willing to help if the player is right...

I know i''v been on here a few times but why not join the Ched Evans for Norwich Campaign...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=45859553458I''m pretty sure he has facebook as well, so lets show we care!

[quote user="paul moy"]

I can remember when we failed to invest 2 million in Peter Crouch when he was available after being on loan, and look how much we could have done with him for the first three months in the Prem. We would probably have stayed up with him.

Now it seems we are repeating the same mistake of short-sightedness with Ched.  It''s obvious that in time we would make money on the guy, and also he would virtually guarantee us staying in the Championship.  Such a shame !!  

[/quote]You would have a good point IF Crouch had not been injured for the first 3 months of the season when he was at Southampton.  The principle is still correct though, even if he had been injured at least you could say we did something.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

You would have a good point IF Crouch had not been injured for the first 3 months of the season when he was at Southampton.  The principle is still correct though, even if he had been injured at least you could say we did something.
[/quote]

I take your point but if he was with us he would probably have not been injured. His fate at Norwich would have been different because he would not have been in the same situation to get injured. 

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]some one email Doncaster, and ask if we could afford him[/quote]

Does the auto reply state: We have no money!

LOL!

[/quote]yeah it must do lol, i emailed him asking him about new managers (before Gunn was appionted) obviously he couldnt tell me, but it was nice that he replied, and he came across a a decent bloke in his reply

we could afford it if we sold Marshall and/or Croft.... but who needs more strikers now that JC is back on form?? Ched would struggle to get into the team after Barnsley!

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Different circumstances though. In the prem season we could have afforded the £2M as we later spent more on Ashton. Also, the rewards for staying in the prem are huge and therefore a gamble should have been taken at the start of the season rather than in the Jan window when we signed Ashton - we also had the fall back of parachute payments if we ended up relegated. We don''t have that now - if we were to spend £1.2M we don''t have on Evans and we get relegated we are stuffed! All clubs would know we would be on the point of financial meltdown and could sign our players at reduced price. No way we can take that risk without investment coming in to the club.