Sign in to follow this  
Erik the Viking

A TEAM TO BE PROUD OF!!!!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/495723/millwall_vs_norwich_city_1989/

Lets hope Gunn/Butterworth (if he does come back as assistant as the rumours suggest) will give us a TEAM once again because that is what has lacked at this club for too many a season now!

Shame we cant'' find a place for Robert Fleck in this so called "Dream Team" my fave City player ever by a garden mile, perhaps coaching our goal shy forwards?!-he could certainly show them a thing or two!

Ps: How scary was the Old Den?!?!?

[quote user="Gazza"]

Lets hope Gunn/Butterworth (if he does come back as assistant as the rumours suggest) will give us a TEAM once again because that is what has lacked at this club for too many a season now!

Shame we cant'' find a place for Robert Fleck in this so called "Dream Team" my fave City player ever by a garden mile, perhaps coaching our goal shy forwards?!-he could certainly show them a thing or two!

[/quote]

Happy days indeed!

I think Robert Fleck is enjoying himself too much as a teaching assistant at a special school in Norwich to want to get involved with it all again, but, like so many other ex-players he loved the area so much in his playing days that he wants to live in Norfolk. That must say something.

From Norfolk at one end to right-off-the-scale The Old Den at the other. God, that place was scary....... I went there in the 1971/2 promotion season. Just the once.......

Geoff Butler scored a 94th minute equaliser for a 1-1 draw. There seemed to be only one road back up to the High St and New Cross stations.All the Millwall yobs were standing like chess pieces along this street eyeing everyone up for any sign of yellow and green. Unsurprisingly there was none apart from one unfortunate woman who was daft enough to be wearing a scarf. She and her partner were subject to the most obscene torrent of verbal abuse I''ve ever heard !

Makes the New Den seem like a vicar''s tea party by comparison.......

[quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

I think Flecky is part of the scouting set up

It was very scary Gazza, but so were a lot of grounds, the worst for me being in no particular order:

Leeds

Stoke (old ground)

Cardiff (still can be dodgy)

Chelsea

Portsmouth

Man City ( Maine Road - not the ground so much but the general area of Moss Side)

Birmingham City

Things have changed so much and it''s virtually impossible to relate what it was like to anyone under 30. Recently the worst experiences I have had were at Molineux, a place I won''t visit again.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]It was very scary Gazza, but so were a lot of grounds, the worst for me being in no particular order: Leeds Stoke (old ground) Cardiff (still can be dodgy) Chelsea Portsmouth Man City ( Maine Road - not the ground so much but the general area of Moss Side) Birmingham City Things have changed so much and it''s virtually impossible to relate what it was like to anyone under 30. Recently the worst experiences I have had were at Molineux, a place I won''t visit again.[/quote]

Agree G T G, football has a changed very much over the years these young un''s hey have had it easy!

Never went to the old den but been to the new ground when we got spanked 4-0 on the opening day of the season a few years back now and even that I would imagine would have been hairy had the result been in reverse!

Been to Brum many times and would say that is never a pleasant experience especially in days of old!, also attended Leeds/ Wolves/Stoke(old and new) and never felt to much under threat but an element of their fans leaves a lot to be desired.....

Never went to Man City but my bro'' lived not far outside of Moss Side and vusuted him on a few occasions when at uni and you could hear gunshots etc from his place-a very scary place we take a lot for granted in Norwich sometimes....

Cheers for the link. I''ve not seen those highlights before, brilliant goal from Flecky at the end! Love the clips of the City fans going mad too. :o)

I''m too young to have gone to the Old Den, but i''ve been to the new one once, and thought that was bad enough. It was when we lost 4-0 too, so i''m sure the locals were happy, but i still remember being a terrified teenager, especially when some Millwall fan saw us about to walk down some alley to the ground and just laughed and said ''You''re brave.'' We quickly turned around and took a different route!

There''s not so many scary grounds these days, i agree, though i''m only going on what i hear from other, older fans, like my Dad with all his tales of football hooliganism! that said there''s still plenty of places to be careful, i''ve had trouble at Wolves away twice, Bradford, and Rotherham, though they were all outside the ground walking back to the coach / station / car.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Man City ( Maine Road - not the ground so much but the general area of Moss Side) .[/quote]The area has improved alot recently, enough for me to live there arnyway.

Gazza, Birmingham in particular is a funny one. Villa - been there many times and never had any trouble. Birmingham City though, not nice! Further out, WBA, never any problems, a very friendly bunch. Wolves - er well what can you say, been there five times and each time very threatening atmosphere and been physically threatened there twice. Walsall, lovely fans and supreme hospitality. Can''t work it out at all, maybe someone who has lived in the area knows why this is.

Have to say in my experience the friendliest lot are definitely in the North East (Sunderland and Newcastle). Love both grounds and especially Roker Park of old.

I haven''t mentioned Ipswich for obvious reasons, but going there as a neutral you will find they are okay!

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]Man City ( Maine Road - not the ground so much but the general area of Moss Side) .[/quote]

The area has improved alot recently, enough for me to live there arnyway.
[/quote]

Sorry fella never meant to cause offence. Glad to hear the area as improved, I''m talking a few years back now!

The main point of this thread as well as being nostalgic was to highlight the fact the "TEAM" ethic we need and I hope Gunn/Butterworth(if he comes)/Crook can bring us that "TEAM" back on the pitch that we deserve.....

[quote user="Gazza"]

[/quote]

I was at that game as i was living in London for some time in the late 80s/early 90s and a friend of Mine was Millwall. Lovely fella to this day but seemed to change when his beloved Wall were entertaining at the Den. I remember leaving the Ground and even the old Ladies would hurl abuse from their flat balconys!!