Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Lads @ Luton

Was speaking to a friend of mine at the weekend, who is a Luton season ticket-er. He gave the following reviews:

SPILLANE: Quite simply outstanding. Their player of the year so far - easily capable of playing in the championship. Someone they desperately would love to keep hold of, but realistically they never have any chance as he could easily go to another Championship club. Championship standard already.

MARTIN: Been really good for them this season. Has had some disciplinary issues, but has got a lot of potential, and is someone with championship potential.

ROSSI JARVIS: ****** useless!! - Thats all he said on that one.

HENDERSON: Too early to judge, although has looked poor when he has played. Willing to give him a chance.

I found it quite interesting actually - particularly when Spillane can be recalled, and with our lack of CB cover.

Thought I would share this with you all.

I know we''re obviously short at centre back, but it does seem apparent from your friend''s comments that both Martin and Spillane are benefitting from playing first team football every week. Unless we can''t secure any other players during the window I''d like to see them remain where they are and continue to gain experience, then re-introduced to the first-team squad for the start of next season. Joe Lewis springs to mind as an example of the benefits of young players getting regular football rather than going stale in the reserves. However, if the cupboard is bare and we can''t afford any signings at all then perhaps we won''t have a choice.

[quote user="We Want Lappin Back"]Was speaking to a friend of mine at the weekend, who is a Luton season ticket-er. He gave the following reviews: SPILLANE: Quite simply outstanding. Their player of the year so far - easily capable of playing in the championship. Someone they desperately would love to keep hold of, but realistically they never have any chance as he could easily go to another Championship club. Championship standard already. MARTIN: Been really good for them this season. Has had some disciplinary issues, but has got a lot of potential, and is someone with championship potential. ROSSI JARVIS: ****** useless!! - Thats all he said on that one. HENDERSON: Too early to judge, although has looked poor when he has played. Willing to give him a chance. I found it quite interesting actually - particularly when Spillane can be recalled, and with our lack of CB cover. Thought I would share this with you all.[/quote]

Mr Martin''s prob is with his disciplinary record - I think he was on four yellow cards before Saturday''s sending off which means he will miss vital games for them.  Jarvis apparently has had some good moments and scored a few goals but not enough of them.  Almost certainly the FL will take action over the game v Bradford - I''m afraid I think The Hatters have well and truly had it this season. 

[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"]I know we''re obviously short at centre back, but it does seem apparent from your friend''s comments that both Martin and Spillane are benefitting from playing first team football every week. Unless we can''t secure any other players during the window I''d like to see them remain where they are and continue to gain experience, then re-introduced to the first-team squad for the start of next season. Joe Lewis springs to mind as an example of the benefits of young players getting regular football rather than going stale in the reserves. However, if the cupboard is bare and we can''t afford any signings at all then perhaps we won''t have a choice.[/quote]Exactly why I think he will be recalled.BG - "I want to sign a centre back, we''ve only got one"The board - "What''s wrong with the other one we own"BG - "Glenn didn''t rate him. Oh. I''d better recall him"

[quote user="We Want Lappin Back"]Was speaking to a friend of mine at the weekend, who is a Luton season ticket-er. He gave the following reviews: SPILLANE: Quite simply outstanding. Their player of the year so far - easily capable of playing in the championship. Someone they desperately would love to keep hold of, but realistically they never have any chance as he could easily go to another Championship club. Championship standard already. MARTIN: Been really good for them this season. Has had some disciplinary issues, but has got a lot of potential, and is someone with championship potential. ROSSI JARVIS: ****** useless!! - Thats all he said on that one. HENDERSON: Too early to judge, although has looked poor when he has played. Willing to give him a chance. I found it quite interesting actually - particularly when Spillane can be recalled, and with our lack of CB cover. Thought I would share this with you all.[/quote]

I remember seeing him play at 17, he looked a real talent and I was gutted when Roedent sent him packing with no intention of seeing him again!

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]

I remember seeing him play at 17, he looked a real talent and I was gutted when Roedent sent him packing with no intention of seeing him again!

[/quote]

Spillane I mean.

[quote user="Badger"]
How long are they contracted to us?
[/quote]

I think Spillane''s contract runs out at the end of this season, Martins i believe has another year to run after this season. A luton fan i know has said much the same about Spillane being really good this season.

I think you''ll find tonight''s Evening News has something to say on all this.

Keep an eye out...

No chance of any of them getting recalled, thanks to GR

No way back for Canary duo

MICHAEL BAILEY
26 January 2009 10:28

New Norwich City manager Bryan Gunn will not have the opportunity to recall Chris Martin or Michael Spillane from their loan spells at Luton - after Glenn Roeder turned down the chance to do so.

The two Academy products were shipped out to the Hatters by the former City boss at the start of August and have proved to be a big success at Kenilworth Road, despite Luton starting the season with a 30-point penalty following their financial problems.

Almost as soon as Roeder was sacked, striker Jamie Cureton was recalled from his loan stint at Barnsley and there were calls from some, including former fans'' favourite Darren Eadie, for Martin and Spillane to follow suit.

But chief executive Neil Doncaster confirmed that, while City had gone to the trouble of arranging an option to bring the pair back to Norwich this month, Gunn''s predecessor turned it down, leaving Gunn with only a watching brief on the pair''s progress for the rest of the season.

"With both Chris Martin and Michael Spillane, we had sent them out on a season-long loan in the summer, but with both of them we negotiated a window in the first week of January, where we would be able to unilaterally recall," said Doncaster.

"Ordinarily with season-long loans you don''t have that option, so you have to negotiate it into the deal. We negotiated that option, to bring them back. Glenn at the time was very clear that he didn''t wish to bring either player back, therefore he chose not to exercise that option.

"Unfortunately, we don''t have the option now of Bryan Gunn being able to make that option (to bring them back), so they will remain on loan at Luton."

With Martin, Spillane and Cureton loaned out of Carrow Road, the latter had referred to a lack of contact with the management at Norwich during his time away.

However, Doncaster confirmed that City''s Luton duo will be watched during the rest of the season, at the end of which Republic of Ireland Under-21 international Spillane will find out where his future lies, as his current three-year deal expires in the summer. Martin has a year still to run on his current City stay.

"They will be watched regularly and we will be monitoring their progress closely as the summer approaches and decisions have to be made on a number of different players, including them," added the City chief.

Martin, 20, is Luton''s top scorer this season with seven league goals in 24 starts, while Spillane - still only 19 - has hit the net four times in 27 games.

Luton finally took their League Two points tally for the season into credit at the weekend, with a 3-3 draw at home to Bradford City.

However, it should have been a win for the Hatters after Asa Hall''s injury-time goal looked set to earn them all three points, until the striker''s foul moments later saw referee Trevor Kettle award Bradford a penalty.

The ensuing protests saw Spillane and Kevin Nicholls booked, while Martin was given a straight red card - the first dismissal of his career - before the visitors equalised from the spot.

Luton currently have former Norwich players Paul McVeigh, Ian Henderson and Rossi Jarvis in their ranks - but it will be Spillane and Martin who will attract the most interest from these parts after the pair''s short-term future at Luton were confirmed.

Why bother including Jarvis and Henderson, they are not ours. Not worth talking about.

Can''t say I''m surprised with your mates assessment cause thats what I''d of said myself!

When Spillane and Jarvis had their spell in the team last season - Spillane looked very competitve and Jarvis looked like the mascot!

Why Grant dropped Spillane and kept Jarvis in the team was baffling!

On another thread a guy is saying that Jarvis was made Luton capt on Saturday and Roeder was an idiot letting him go!

Hes right about Roeder being an idiot but letting Rossi Jarvis go was one of the few things he did get right!

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Could someone confirm Spillane''s preferred or best position?

When ever played under for Norwich (very few times anyway) it never seemed his best position or to fill a gap

[/quote]

I think this has been the lads biggest problem so far. I would think he''s suited best to being centre back. but becuse he''s technically good enough to adapt to other positions he fills in where there is a problem for the manager to do a job, may help the team in the short term but i dont think it''s helping him learn one position really well. Even bigger and better players have struggled when they are seen as abaptable look at John O''Shea at Man U, where is his best position?

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Could someone confirm Spillane''s preferred or best position?

When ever played under for Norwich (very few times anyway) it never seemed his best position or to fill a gap

[/quote]

I think this has been the lads biggest problem so far. I would think he''s suited best to being centre back. but becuse he''s technically good enough to adapt to other positions he fills in where there is a problem for the manager to do a job, may help the team in the short term but i dont think it''s helping him learn one position really well. Even bigger and better players have struggled when they are seen as abaptable look at John O''Shea at Man U, where is his best position?

[/quote]Left Back