Sign in to follow this  
The Voice Of Reason

NCFC And The Joy Of The Transfer Window

We need to get real here as we approach the end of the transfer window.

The facts:

• Gunn has said ''looking at loan players''
  • Doncaster has said ''transfer window only applies to Premier League, we can do business afte January''
  • Foulger has said ''the club is busting its gut and he''s talked to half a dozen investors to try to source a little money for players''

I read those sentiments and I ain''t holding my breath for Jan 31st.

Am I wrong?

Do you know something I don''t?

[quote user="Grim Roeder"]

We need to get real here as we approach the end of the transfer window.

The facts:

• Gunn has said ''looking at loan players''

• Doncaster has said ''transfer window only applies to Premier League, we can do business afte January''

• Foulger has said ''the club is busting its gut and he''s talked to half a dozen investors to try to source a little money for players''

I read those sentiments and I ain''t holding my breath for Jan 31st.

Am I wrong?

Do you know something I don''t?

[/quote]

I doubt you are wrong, and lets face it, that''s not much of a surprise.  I''m not really expecting any permanent signings and we''ll get two or three loans at best, even after the 31st.  We''re generally going to have to muddle through with what we have.

If you were the CEO, would you let a ''temporary'' manager (in theory only in charge for 6 months) sign permanent players to a 2 or 3 year contract?

Just curious as to people''s views.

[quote user="jetstream"]If you were the CEO, would you let a ''temporary'' manager (in theory only in charge for 6 months) sign permanent players to a 2 or 3 year contract? Just curious as to people''s views.[/quote]

Maybe the SCG could ask him that pertinent question?

[quote user="jetstream"]If you were the CEO, would you let a ''temporary'' manager (in theory only in charge for 6 months) sign permanent players to a 2 or 3 year contract?

Just curious as to people''s views.[/quote]I don''t think you should employ that manager unless you trust them with transfers and everything else related to being a manager.

[quote user="jetstream"]If you were the CEO, would you let a ''temporary'' manager (in theory only in charge for 6 months) sign permanent players to a 2 or 3 year contract? Just curious as to people''s views.[/quote]

In all honesty, no.  That''s one reason why we''ll only get loan players (the other being that we have no money).  Loans don''t bother me at this stage - its more the worry if they''re good enough and injury free.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Maybe with Gunn & team in charge, it will be like having 16 new players.
[/quote]

We can but hope.  IMO it wasn''t necessarily the players but the management of them that was the problem, and that was exacerbated by poor performances and the manager riling supporters.   Clearly the latter is unlikely to happen with Gunn et al, and you''d have thought his style to be much more amenable than the ''you will do it my way'' approach, which could go down better. 

Whatever, I still firmly believe that the squad is better than last season and have been stunned at how poorly it has performed at times.  For me, with a couple of signings, be they loans if necessary (decent ones, not ones who don''t play/add anything, a la Troy), we could fare much better for the final third (and-a-bit) of the season. 

In fairness, on paper we have a decent squad - we shew that against Barnsley.I just worry about ''New Manager Syndrome'' kicking in...

[quote user="AJ"]In fairness, on paper we have a decent squad - we shew that against Barnsley.

I just worry about ''New Manager Syndrome'' kicking in...
[/quote]

Viewed from afar I think you could go with what you have got as the person in charge of what you have got is somewhat different from the person who was in charge of what you have got before that.

Not saying it will but sometimes that makes a considerable difference.

As with all new Managers....wait and see time, sadly.

[quote user="AJ"]In fairness, on paper we have a decent squad - we shew that against Barnsley.I just worry about ''New Manager Syndrome'' kicking in...[/quote]To be fair to Roeder - the permanents he signed are top drawer players, who have been delivering bargain basement performances, imo this was due to Roeder''s poor man-management, but you have to admit that Hoolahan, Clingan, Bell (better than his performances for us to date) and Pattison are some of the better players in the division... - the squad we have got (if you add one decent striker and a CB) is play-off contention material imo. In the window i think Gunn will sign one or two players on permanents, but they will be lower league players - ie Cody Macdonald - where not much money is involved. Possibly a few loanees too, but I expect these to be youngsters rather than expensive over-the-hill journeymen like sibierski.

[quote user="AJ"]In fairness, on paper we have a decent squad - we shew that against Barnsley.

[/quote]

Not quite.  We''re still short at Centre Back, and we haven''t got Grounds for long.  The striking situation is a bit thin as well.  We certainly need an extra body in those areas, because if injuries or suspension strike, we''ve got very little back up.

Midfield is okay though.  Plenty of options even if we lose the odd player.

>Maybe the SCG could ask him that pertinent question?

Not sure what your point is Mello.

If you want the SCG to ask something you can always email them yourself:

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/SCG/0,,10355~936211,00.html