Sign in to follow this  
Zippers Left Foot

3rd Keeper

I see Worthy feels that one of the three new players he needs is a 3rd keeper in case both Greeno and Gallacher gets injured.

To me this seems an odd option. The player is very unlikely to get a game, although may appear on the subs bench a couple of times. I accept that if Greeno, god forbid, gets an injury in Sept that keeps him out for the season then we cant buy or loan another until Jan. However if this was an issue wouldnt keeping The Admiral one his cheaper wages beena sensible option than looking for someone who would expect more because they are now joining a premier club?

I would rather the cash is spent on 3 outfield players - what is everyone elses view?

OTBC

Yeah I agree with you Zipper. Cant really see the logic of having a third keeper cos how often is it that both your keepers are out injured. Very rare.

Probably going to look for an experienced keeper to provide coaching and backup to the young keepers'' at the club

I agree, a goalkeeper isn''t/shouldn''t be on of our priorities right now.

We desperately need a player capable of playing on the right-side of midfield, a big target-man striker, and a defender (be it Primus or A. N. Other).

It''s highly unlikely that this "3rd-choice" ''keeper would get a game and besides, what goalkeepers of any quality are going to want to come to Norwich to play in the reserves???

Surely Nigel''s intentions are fairly obvious to all in this regard. Green is the one player we have who can command significant money in the transfer market. Norwich may very well have to play this card if it means securing two or three other players come January to try and ensure we avoid relegation. Whatever is for the greater good of the club will always dictate such decisions. Also, while deals may have to be executed at that time, there is always every possibility that "agreements" are being reached prior to that time.

when''s the last time a 3rd choice keeper was required ? Can''t see its necessary to splash out on one, and if the most improbable happened, then Joe Lewis won''t be first teenage keeper in the premiership surely.
if we wanted that depth of cover we might as well have kept Chricton.

I think YC has pretty much summed it up - if Worthy is looking for a 3rd choice keeper, we should maybe prepare ourselves for Green to leave. After all, if he continues to play at the level we know he''s capable of, his market value could well be £6 or 7 million come January - could we afford to turn that down?

Its saddens me to see that YC and temps have suggested the reason that led me to post to start with - ie a deal has been done with The Gooners which means Greeno''s days as a City Man are numbered...

We will have to enjoy him while we can..

Worthy has taken Jurgen Macho from Chelsea on a weeks trial, Australian apparently, anyone know anything about him

Wasnt he at Sunderland for a while? Would be good cover but thats about it.

OTBC

I feel the pi$$ being extracted!

Macho is only 27 and has premier experience. But why would he come here to sit on the bench when he can do that in Chelsea Village? And he is austrian not australian.

Other than Greeno going the other alternative is that Gallagher is either not as good as we had hoped or has had trouble settling away from Scotland?

OTBC

3rd Keeper on bench for reserves maybe, not 1st Team surely.

Why would he want to come ?

I think the Green - Arsenal deal was very close a couple of weeks ago, and it has been temporarily it has been put on hold.

Worthington again is showing his shrewdness though , but shopping now, rather than from a position of weakness when he has to urgently obtain cover for either injury or through player departure.

It appears from Evening News that Macho has had injury problems, and although he would be reserves here, realistically he has a better chance of eventually playing in the first team here than at Chelsea, although I personally hope that neither he or Gallacher are given that chance we need Green to remain injury free and one of our players.

I agree Green is fantastic, but - keeping my realistic hat on Green has never played at premier league or international level - Macho has - I remember his single handed attempts to keep Sunderland in the PL at Liverpool, Chelsea and ManUre - and he was good enough for Ranieri to want him pre Abramovitch money. Macho was just unlucky in that he injured his cruciates in the first 2 weeks there - for me (hopefully) a fantastic acquisition

have to agree with you machoman

i do think green can handly the prem but just never no do you

If greeno goes that''s our one chance of a real international superstar playing at Carrow Road. Norwich just won''t be the same without him either, if greeno''s missing, the backbone of our team is ripped out.

It wouldn''t surprise me if Greeno went sooner than we thought. I can''t see why Macho would want to move to a club which, lets face it, will be struggling with relegation, and be a THIRD choice keeper? Seems very odd to me

I don''t think Green is going anywhere at least until he''s proved himself in the top flight - I think Sir Nigel is providing him with top quality backup/competition especially if my worst nightmare materialises- ie we do a Wolves and ship 5 goals a game in our first few matches - remember what happened with our ''cousins'' down the road and their great England hope Richard Wright- played young for England, had a couple of absolute shockers which wrecked his confidence - and sank without trace - look what has happened to Chris Kirkland with injury - who incidentally Sven has promised to bring back into the squad - thus Green''s place is not automatic - yet. But why do you automatically presume Macho will be third choice? My own view is that Gallacher will be the one to miss out - maybe Worthy has had doubts about him and has felt it necessary to bring in another top keeper.

....perhaps Worthy has no intention of selling Green.

Getting a Scottish international keeper on a two year deal for a zero transfer fee is an excellent piece of business.

Perhaps Mr Gallacher is simply an asset that we can sell to raise funds, assuming that he''ll probably request a transfer after warming the bench for a few months.

Maybe Worthy felt the Gallacher deal was too good to miss. From a financial perspective it certainly makes sense, although it does not do Mr Gallacher any favours.

Should Gallacher turn out to be better than expected it gives Worthy a very strong goalkeeping hand (as so to speak!) come the transfer window, given the ever present need to raise cash.

You have to admit though it is a bit strange though. We''ve signed a Scotland international and now another keeper with premiership experience and we''re going to play Greeno as first choice?! Don''t get me wrong Greeno is a great player and I would hate to see him go or sitting on the bench, but he has never had premiership experience, which could be a problem. Perhaps that is why Worthy is bringing in the extra keepers, he''s not sure Greeno will make the grade, but if he does it will be great all round.