Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Kan Anyone Spel These Dayes?!?

uyyyy caaaarrrrrr'' reeeeeeed arrrrr'' whhiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.Buuuuuu'' uyyyyyyyy cuuuuuunnnn drrrrroooooooooiiiiiivvvvvvvveeeeee maaaaaaaa tracktarrrrr.

Loiyfe izzzz tuffffff n'' marrrrrnies toiiiiiiggghhhhhhttbaaaarrrrr  oiiiiiiii caarrrrrrnnnn steel droive moiy tracktarrrr.

[quote user="Clint"]

I may be being slightly picky but the amount of posts on here that appear to be written by an infant never ceases to amaze me!

People who claim to be hardcore supporters but spend a great deal of time debating about Paterson, Omosuzi or some guy called Ostemebor!!!  I''ve just read a post about a legend called Huckerbey!

I''ve been known to mis-spell the odd word if posting when intoxicated so I''ll get of my soapbox now.  But if I wanted to read about Paterson, I''d go on a Burnley message board!!!

[/quote]ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ GET A LIFE

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Things are looking up. Formerly Narfolk ''N'' Gud"]

Have to say that I blame the teachers, many times I have browsed my children''s homework and noticed that spelling mistakes are ignored. Why? Is it too much trouble to write the correct spelling in the margin so they know they''ve made an error. If uncorrected that wrong spelling will remain that way throughout their education.

Eneeweigh bak too the phootbal.

Heaven forbid YOU actually point out the spelling errors to your child!

[/quote]

Ha ha! Once again we agree, you actually took the words out of my mouth. [:)]

I actually think that this total abdication of responsibility for this sort of thing is as much of the problem. 

As Edmund Blackadder said to Samuel Johnson,"I''m sorry, sir. I''m

anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have
caused you such

pericombobulation
".

Eye haf two say that eye agre wiv ewe that the speling on hair is orful. I''m lukee to hav had a gud edicashun sew I''m allright but sum off ewe spel real bad.

[quote user="Clint"]

I may be being slightly picky but the amount of posts on here that appear to be written by an infant never ceases to amaze me!

People who claim to be hardcore supporters but spend a great deal of time debating about Paterson, Omosuzi or some guy called Ostemebor!!!  I''ve just read a post about a legend called Huckerbey!

I''ve been known to mis-spell the odd word if posting when intoxicated so I''ll get of my soapbox now.  But if I wanted to read about Paterson, I''d go on a Burnley message board!!!

[/quote]

Perhaps the lack of spelling is done to the fact that we don''t have a lot of time to post on these forums, I don''t with a full time job and a daughter etc, sitting on my pc for too long involves getting an ear bashing from my wife about chores, playing with my daughter, dinner, etc etc ... need I go on?

If you think we have time to look up the NCFC website for the correct spelling of players names then you my friend have tooooo much time on your hands.

I will try to edit some stuff the best I can but as you may know, once its POSTED you can''t edit the listing again to change it.

Does it really matter though?

Cheers

Thank you for your concern but I already have a life, which is why I wasn''t posting on here at 10:46pm on a Saturday night!

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong or write

It shows me strait a weigh

A soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

It’s rare lea ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong or write

It shows me strait a weigh

A soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

It’s rare lea ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Personally I''m far from perfect, and do make the odd typing error, I really couldn''t care less how other people spell things so long as I can read them.  [:)]

People excel at different things, and some may not feel that spelling is top priority.

[/quote]

Just to add to that 49, I couldn''t care less HOW I spell things, as long as the intent of the message comes across.[:D]

I''m an editor, proof-reader and writer by profession, so it does irritate me when posts are riddled with poor spelling, punctuation and grammar. However, there are other areas of my life in which I probably have much lower standards than other people, so it would be a bit hypocritical to lay into people whose English isn''t as strong as my own. As long as the general sense of a post can be understood, that''s good enough for me.And I just had to point out to Chunky Norwich – ''stadiums'' is perfectly acceptable; check the dictionary. I prefer ''stadia'' myself, but it''s down to individual preference.My own personal nightmares are the erroneous apostrophe''s in plural''s (shudder!), and people who say ''less'' when they mean ''fewer''.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Personally I''m far from perfect, and do make the odd typing error, I really couldn''t care less how other people spell things so long as I can read them.  [:)]

People excel at different things, and some may not feel that spelling is top priority.

[/quote]

Just to add to that 49, I couldn''t care less HOW I spell things, as long as the intent of the message comes across.[:D]

[/quote]

Never did I think I would hear a Wizard say he couldn''t spell. No wonder the Hex''s have gone adrift lately[:D]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Never did I think I would hear a Wizard say he couldn''t spell. No wonder the Hex''s have gone adrift lately[:D]

[/quote]

Perhaps thats where he''s going wrong - I thought it was Hux had gone adrift [H]

I believe the annoying use of "of" instead of "have" started with abbreviations such as should''ve and could''ve which when pronounced quickly sound a bit like "should of " and "could of". With the use of text speak, it seems, unfortunately, to have made it more common. So please everyone, if nothing else, kick out OF and use HAVE.

[quote user="Coelho"]I''m an editor, proof-reader and writer by profession, so it does irritate me when posts are riddled with poor spelling, punctuation and grammar. However, there are other areas of my life in which I probably have much lower standards than other people, so it would be a bit hypocritical to lay into people whose English isn''t as strong as my own. As long as the general sense of a post can be understood, that''s good enough for me.And I just had to point out to Chunky Norwich – ''stadiums'' is perfectly acceptable; check the dictionary. I prefer ''stadia'' myself, but it''s down to individual preference.My own personal nightmares are the erroneous apostrophe''s in plural''s (shudder!), and people who say ''less'' when they mean ''fewer''.[/quote]Did you spot this recent hash job by Archanthttp://new.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED24%20Jan%202009%2011%3A14%3A01%3A003

Blinky, instead of "greengroser''s apostrophe", don''t you mean greengrocer? [;)]

What bugs me is not the ''of'' and ''have'' mistakes, but the more basic ones.  I can''t believe that there are people who have spent more than 10 years learning English, but still don''t know the difference between to and too, no and know, weather and whether, etc.

It annoys me, not so much due to people getting spelling or grammar wrong on a message board, but that this is the standard of our education system.  If the standard of education and literacy continues to decline, the UK will not be able to compete against developing countries in the future. 

dhickl,
please bear in mind that some people might not be as skilled as English as some of us others on here are. As a student studying English at A-level, I too get annoyed by silly grammatical and simple illiterate errors. But this is an internet forum, and spelling and grammar are not hugely important here. We can forgive and forget a few simple errors made by people posting on here at silly hours in the morning and such!But as what this thread was aimed at - constant use of ''''short handing'''' or ''txt spk'' is not acceptable! I''d like to think as a members ground rule people could take the time to write in full and proper English saving the rest of us a hell of a lot of time trying to ''decode'' someone else being extremely lazy!

[quote user="Webbo118"]So please everyone, if nothing else, kick out OF and use HAVE.[/quote]A man after my own heart [;)]Also, what''s with people using "alot" and "abit", when they are, in fact, thinking of "a lot", and "a bit". Yes, I realise not everyone is brilliant in the spelling and grammar department but this is basic stuff. And it annoys the hell out of me.

I think it''s a question of meeting half way. Much as it would be nice for people to at least give their posts a quick once-over to make sure there are no glaring errors or typos, those of us with very good English have no idea what it''s like to be inside the mind of someone who''s dyslexic, or someone who has always struggled with written English. I still maintain that as long as the general point of the post is understandable, we shouldn''t be too critical of people who still want to express their opinions despite their relatively poor English.

[quote user="suffolk canary"]Come on. let''s not loose site (sorry lose sight) of what''s important...[/quote]mmm...i happened to think that knowing how the players'' names are spelt is very important...trouble is me thinks is that they are possibly misread or misheard, for example Mr Goreham (Raydio Norfukk) has been heard (annoyingly often) Calling Mr Omozusi, ''Omosuzi'' so..maybe, just maybe these to be trusted professionals are to blame?

[quote user="Coelho"]have no idea what it''s like to be inside the mind of someone who''s dyslexic
[/quote]

If you listen to Labour, there is no such thing as dyslexia, apparently it is due to the teaching. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7828121.stm)

...Just a minute isn''t it Labour who have been responsible for "Education, education and education" over the last 15 years [:P]

[quote user="AJ"]please bear in mind that some people might not be as skilled as English as some of us others on here are.
[/quote]

I just did the minimum at school - English up to GCSE level.  My point was that everyone has to study it for 10 years yet there appears to be an increasing number that leave school not grasping the basics

[quote user="AJ"]But this is an internet forum, and spelling and grammar are not hugely important here.
[/quote]

My point was:

[quote user="dhickl"]It annoys me, not so much due to people getting spelling or grammar wrong on a message board, but that this is the standard of our education system.  If the standard of education and literacy continues to decline, the UK will not be able to compete against developing countries in the future.
[/quote]

[quote user="AJ"]But as what this thread was aimed at - constant use of ''short handing'' or ''txt spk''
[/quote]

The original poster was actually complaining about the poor spelling - especially player names.  But I do agree that people are being lazy in using ''txt spk''

Just thought I would point out that stadiums is as acceptable as stadia.

staâ‹…diâ‹…um

–noun, plural -di⋅ums, -di⋅a

[quote user="dhickl"]

...Just a minute isn''t it Labour who have been responsible for "Education, education and education" over the last 15 years [:P]

[/quote]Think you''ll find they''ve actually been responsible for "Education, edyucashion, edukayshun" [;)]

Here''s another HC original that should generate a chuckle or two.

People keep saying that the schools need to focus on the 3 ''R''s, reading, writing and arithmatic.  writing and arithmatic don''t even start with ''R''.  Maybe we should focus on the 4th ''R'', SPELLING!

I see your point Houston but that would mean unfairly excluding all those who can only count up to 3 so it will never be adopted in our one (low) standard for all schooling system.There''s an interesting article here from Prof John Wells leading professor of phonetics and president of ''the spelling society'' in which he advocates a loosening up of spelling in English as it seems to be holding back the next generation of super intelligent children.PS If you do click the link be sure to also click the School gate link on that page and look at the options for question 4.There is a law somewhere out there which states every time you get a little bit up your own backside and write about spelling standards you will make a spelling mistake and everyone will notice and laugh at you even if the article is for ''The Times''.[:D]