Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Kan Anyone Spel These Dayes?!?

I may be being slightly picky but the amount of posts on here that appear to be written by an infant never ceases to amaze me!

People who claim to be hardcore supporters but spend a great deal of time debating about Paterson, Omosuzi or some guy called Ostemebor!!!  I''ve just read a post about a legend called Huckerbey!

I''ve been known to mis-spell the odd word if posting when intoxicated so I''ll get of my soapbox now.  But if I wanted to read about Paterson, I''d go on a Burnley message board!!!

Typos maybe? I''d rather someone mis-spelt a player''s surname than ''we''re going to loose today'' or, my personal favourite, ''stadiums''.

Paterson and Pattison, Mackay and McKay, we all know who they mean. And I have to admit that I''ve know idea how to spell Omozusi without looking it up.

I don''t mind spelling mistakes but its the "text" talk spelling that angers me!! Its fair enough when saving you money on texts but don''t use it on forums.......it brings out the chav in you!

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Typos maybe? I''d rather someone mis-spelt a player''s surname than ''we''re going to loose today'' or, my personal favourite, ''stadiums''.

Paterson and Pattison, Mackay and McKay, we all know who they mean. And I have to admit that I''ve know idea how to spell Omozusi without looking it up.

[/quote]

<giggle> It''s hilarious is it not? I am quite shocked at the literacy levels demonstrated on this Forum. It shows that the education system has failed quite a few. Apart from the obvious posters who fit that category there are obvious typos that can not be rectified due to the lack of an "edit" button - I would guess that there is an average of one typo in each post of mine.

Maybe Clint because people tend not to proof read their posts, much like you just did.

Misspell

Off

I am assuming you are intoxicated like you say you often are when you misspell, or are you an infant too? Back off, it''s spelling for goodness sake, so long as the fan is true in their words and is a true supporter who gives a damn how old they are or how good they are at spelling.

Calm down Lincs, of course spelling mistakes happen, I''m no English teacher hence the errors in my original post!

However, I''m unsure how a true supporter can not know a players surname.  For example, calling Pattison, Paterson, is not really a spelling mistake, its not his name!

Would you be upset if I kept calling you Lancs CR?!?

PS I probably do still have a number of units of alcohol in my system!

I can quite understand the odd typo or smelling pistake. It''s the blatant ignorance that bugs me ("pre Madonna" is one of the best ones). The difference between our and are or between your and you''re are things I learned at junior school but which seem to be less and less understood by today''s youth. That said; it may well have always been this bad but it''s more obvious now because you don''t need your writing to be proofread to get published these days.Irritating or depressing as this illiteracy might be, though, people correctly retort that this is a discussion forum and not an exam hall. Writing/typing is just a form of communication, and as long as we who read it can understand what is meant then the message is still being communicated; right?

Thing is with me ( this is just my excuse) i type quickly, and look at the keyboard rather than the message most of the time, and dont actually check my spellling (which isnt great)

Looks like you''ve opened a box of worms with this one, Clit. Whoops, that was a typo.  I should OF previewed this before sending it.

The most egregious spelling errors are when people inexplicably add ''u" to words like color, flavor, ewue (when writing of Ipswich women) and vacuuuum.

I hope you no I am being a wise guy write now.  Knowbody shold take offense at this.

Personally I''m far from perfect, and do make the odd typing error, I really couldn''t care less how other people spell things so long as I can read them.  [:)]

People excel at different things, and some may not feel that spelling is top priority.

[quote user="Clint"]

I may be being slightly picky but the amount of posts on here that appear to be written by an infant never ceases to amaze me!

People who claim to be hardcore supporters but spend a great deal of time debating about Paterson, Omosuzi or some guy called Ostemebor!!!  I''ve just read a post about a legend called Huckerbey!

I''ve been known to mis-spell the odd word if posting when intoxicated so I''ll get of my soapbox now.  But if I wanted to read about Paterson, I''d go on a Burnley message board!!!

[/quote]

here here!

Spelling mistakes are exactly that, a mistake.  Vast majority of posts on here are written by people who are just so crap at spelling it is shocking. There''s so much dumbing down these days IMO having an attitude of  ''it doesn''t matter'' is a symptom of the disease, that this Country is turning out hordes of thickos each year. 

Teachers dont bother any more to be honest, all PTIs my mum goes to at least one teacher will say i cant spell very well but it dosnt matter

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]Teachers dont bother any more to be honest, all PTIs my mum goes to at least one teacher will say i cant spell very well but it dosnt matter[/quote]We''re doomed [:(]

[quote user="Delia S. Tickers"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

<giggle> It''s hilarious is it not? I am quite shocked at the literacy levels demonstrated on this Forum. It shows that the education system has failed quite a few. Apart from the obvious posters who fit that category there are obvious typos that can not be rectified due to the lack of an "edit" button - I would guess that there is an average of one typo in each post of mine.

[/quote]

See the lengths I go to to support my points about typos? Of course it was deliberate......[:$]

Good job we have the always-helpful Delia S. Tickers on hand to politely point things out to the rest of you! A prize would be on its way but the grammar police decided that this forum is a concrete noun and not a proper one. Sorry.

Interesting comments on this post. Always believed that if language is

understood then it''s doing its job but I still hate hearing split

infinitives (though split them myself all too often in speech) and

seeing the misplaced "greengroser''s apostrophe". And if we use

prepositions as verbs, how on earth are foreigners ever going to learn

English?!

Serious question: those of you who frequently use the

preposition "of" instead of  "have" when forming the past tense of a

verb, as in "He should of scored" - do you do it because a) you''ve

always used "of" in that way (and not been corrected at school)? or b)

you''ve used it ever since texting became commonplace?  (It is only 2

letters shorter though!)

Have to say that I blame the teachers, many times I have browsed my children''s homework and noticed that spelling mistakes are ignored. Why? Is it too much trouble to write the correct spelling in the margin so they know they''ve made an error. If uncorrected that wrong spelling will remain that way throughout their education.

Eneeweigh bak too the phootbal.

[quote]

Have to say that I blame the teachers, many times I have browsed my children''s homework and noticed that spelling mistakes are ignored. Why? Is it too much trouble to write the correct spelling in the margin so they know they''ve made an error. If uncorrected that wrong spelling will remain that way throughout their education.

[/quote]It seems quite simple doesn''t it.  For example, the number of people who continually spell ''definitely'', ''definately''  runs into thousands,  but a correction from a teacher would have cured most of them.

I''m not worries about the spelling mistakes on here.

If I wanted to be corrected or correct mistakes, I would sign up for a spelling message board.

[quote user="Things are looking up. Formerly Narfolk ''N'' Gud"]

Heaven forbid YOU actually point out the spelling errors to your child!

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Things are looking up. Formerly Narfolk ''N'' Gud"]

Heaven forbid YOU actually point out the spelling errors to your child!

[/quote]

its the no capital letters and no punctuation ans sentences that go on and on without ever looking like stopping that seem to have the most spelling problems.help with txtspk would also be useful as i tend to struggle having very big hands.

Personally, I find it a particular annoyance but then if you were to ask my missus she''d tell you it''s just because I like to be right all the time & have OCD!

My particular favourites are:

Your & you''re. They''re, their & there. Lose & loose.

But I won''t push my particular bugbares onto people. What''s really annoys me might not annoy others.