Sign in to follow this  
mistersparkle

Has Nigel been having media coaching?

Just seen Worthy interviewed on Sky. Is it just me or does he seem more at ease thesedays in front of camera? In the last two interviews he hasn''t said "know what i mean" or used any football cliche once. Is this the end to our very own football cliche man?

Well he is a Premier league manager now. And I bet he''s done so many interviews over the last few months that he''s getting more used to it. I''m even noticing the increase in profile on places like the BBC website (with a special section on our Malaysia tour for example), although its still way below what most Prem clubs get - e.g. no mention of Helveg on FiveLive when they went through all the transfer news from the Prem on Thursday as they only mentioned the ''big'' clubs!

If he has, hopefully he will get out of the habit of repeatedly saying "the football club" at every press conference/media interview.

Still we must not be too petty about these things.

Haven''t seen the interview myself - but were the facial grimmaces still there even if the cliches have gone - please don''t completely sanitise him.

Did anyone spot the motivational message on Worthy''s wall in the clip? Something like ''Practice well..'' but I didnt catch the rest.

How sad am I..

I need some motivation!

Am also waiting for him to say he''s ''Absolutely delighted with..''

Legendary.

Whatever Nigel says I shall never moan at the cliches, favourite phrases or the grimaces as I know just how awful I would feel if someone shoved a microphone at me and turned a camera on me everytime I breathed. What if there was a hair out of place or a horrid skeleton coming out of a cupboard somewhere? Know what I mean?

last season i was getting really worried about him not only trying to fit in every cliche in the book into every interview, know what i mean, but also looking to the side every few moments a la Harry Rednapp. At the moment he looks very relaxed and assured. Maybe that will change a few games into the season.

Nigel is definately improving when it comes to interviews, and seems much more relaxed. Still some way to go though.

I have to admit it does really annoy me when he begins sentences with "know what I mean?".

I don''t think Nigel coins THAT many cliches. For example - did he blame the referee everytime we lost a game? See! Not that much of a cliche. In fact I don''t think he ever blamed the ref, even when the ref needed some blaming (I''m thinking Everton away.)

I always thought that he was pretty straight talking too, were he''ll admit it if we didn''t do so well etc.

Know what I mean?

what about "at this moment in time" where on earth did that come from, it seems to have snuck into football speak.

I think he needs a sharp suit he looked bloody awful in that red training top, he needs a make over starting with his hair, he aint gonna intimidate mourino with that. He also needs a head set ala Big Sam. The poor guy''s stuck in the 80''s style wise. I agree he doesn''t look like he wants to run away and hide now though.

Noooooo

Don''t change his appearance - and definitely keep the sweat shirt. Thats what makes him a wee bit different - and special.

But he''s going to be thrust into the big time from now on - EDP and Anglia TV and the odd low key (in national terms)Sky game are behind him now. Ahead, he''s under the spotlight - and what he says will matter.

Its important for the image/credibility of the club that he comes across well. Needn''t be slick - can be a character - but must be confident and robust.

And I think thats starting to emerge.

I predict 12 months from now, you won''t recognise him.