Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo_Jet_Set

Tactically naive

Watching tonight''s performance it worries me that the appointment of Bryan Gunn is a purely emotional decision and that he lacks the nouse to cut it at this level of management

Tonight at 2-1 an experienced manager would have changed something and brought on fresh legs to give the side new impetus. Instead Gunn stood on the touchline and did nothing. This left us looking flat and always likely to concede the second goal. It was only then that the changes were made giving the new players little time to make an impact- Lupoli barely touched the ball.

I''m not anti-gunn but efforts like tonight do nothing to convince me that the board have made the right decision

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

Watching tonight''s performance it worries me that the appointment of Bryan Gunn is a purely emotional decision and that he lacks the nouse to cut it at this level of management

Tonight at 2-1 an experienced manager would have changed something and brought on fresh legs to give the side new impetus. Instead Gunn stood on the touchline and did nothing. This left us looking flat and always likely to concede the second goal. It was only then that the changes were made giving the new players little time to make an impact- Lupoli barely touched the ball.

I''m not anti-gunn but efforts like tonight do nothing to convince me that the board have made the right decision

[/quote]

Exactely my opinion Jimbo. Gunny was as poor tonight as he was good against Barnsley.

When the opposition change things you have to react. It was crying out for a change after an hour.

Agreed. The decision that annoyed me the most was bringing Pattison on for Hoolahan who is probably our most attacking midfielder.We should be looking to go out and win these games, so at 2-2 we shouldn''t be taking off an attacking midfielder for a less attacking one. Nevertheless, if Gunn turns out to be a useless manager I wont blame him - The board are to blame.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]Agreed. The decision that annoyed me the most was bringing Pattison on for Hoolahan who is probably our most attacking midfielder.We should be looking to go out and win these games, so at 2-2 we shouldn''t be taking off an attacking midfielder for a less attacking one. Nevertheless, if Gunn turns out to be a useless manager I wont blame him - The board are to blame.[/quote]

By the sounds of it Hoolahan was going to be taken off before their second goal as he was done in. Shame he wasn''t as his losing possession led to their goal. Think they should have subbed him quicker. The problem is we don''t have anyone to come on who can hold the ball when Hooly has gone off. Hope we sort that out this window. Hoolahan had basically won the game for us, we just needed to shore it up at the back and hold it up the pitch. We couldn''t do either. 2 players we need, just 2 players, come on board find the money from down the back of the sofa!

Apologies for repeating much of an earlier post, but it sits neatly here as well.I agree that appointing Gunny was an emotional decision based around bringing the ''feel good'' factor back to Carrow Road rather than any managerial ability.Problem is a result like this (in particular the manner of it) could blow that out of the water before we''ve even started.I''m desperately trying to be positive, but am really struggling.  I''m trying not to jump to early conclusions, but my fears are coming true ad it''s hard not to.I just hope that Gunny turns out to be a quality manager, because I seriously believe that that''s the only thing that will save us from relegation.  Bleeding yellow and green just isn''t enough.  I thought this was a high risk appointment (for the club overall) when made and I still do.I just hope to god I''m wrong.Like all others though, Gunny will always get my support and will always be a legend....but I don''t want it to come to that.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]Agreed. The decision that annoyed me the most was bringing Pattison on for Hoolahan who is probably our most attacking midfielder.We should be looking to go out and win these games, so at 2-2 we shouldn''t be taking off an attacking midfielder for a less attacking one. Nevertheless, if Gunn turns out to be a useless manager I wont blame him - The board are to blame.[/quote]It was a case of closing the stable door once the horse has bolted. Even at 2-0 I was saying Russell and Cureton weren''t influencing the game enough and looked bereft of ideas. Why leave Lupoli on the bench until the 84th minute, and Cort on the bench until injury time? Total tactical naivety. Gunn obviously rates Cureton when it''s clear to me he''s not nearly good enough to lead the line at this level. Russell is a committed player but does not have the brain of a forward - he keeps dropping deep into midfield, gravitating towards his natural role. When he does try to push up alongside Cureton he runs offside too much, which is a problem that Curo has got even more profoundly. With one proper target man on the bench and another player in Lupoli who has a much more finely honed attacking brain, it was lunacy to leave the same two up front for so long. I feel totally deflated and really quite angry tonight, and looking at other results in the division we''re deep in trouble. Should we lose on Friday night, the honeymoon period will be well and truly over after just two games, and we''ll have an inexperienced coaching team staring down the barrel. On the plus side, Hoolahan showed plenty of glimpses of what he''s

capable of tonight - still guilty of plenty of careless touches and

getting shrugged off the ball by over-elaborating, but if he can

improve his decision-making he could be absolutely vital to our chances

of staying up. Fingers crossed.

It''s ok saying Gunny is tactically naive, but we would have been worse off under Roeder (supposed experienced manager), as the players just didn''t want to play for Roeder.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]It''s ok saying Gunny is tactically naive, but we would have been worse off under Roeder (supposed experienced manager), as the players just didn''t want to play for Roeder.[/quote]I don''t think anyone is really saying they would still want Roeder in charge, are they? God help them if they are!

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]It''s ok saying Gunny is tactically naive, but we would have been worse off under Roeder (supposed experienced manager), as the players just didn''t want to play for Roeder.[/quote]
I don''t think anyone is really saying they would still want Roeder in charge, are they? God help them if they are!
[/quote]

No but then they aren''t exactly taking any positives from tonight either are they?  They are playing better than they would under Roeder, 4 points from six.  I believe the position we find ourselves in now is down to Roeder and goes back further than two matches.

Watching the game tonight, surely every body in the ground tonight could see that there was the need to make a sub prob about on the hour mark. The game was crying out for fresh legs just to put a bit of spark back in the performance.

Hopefully Mr Butterworth will be the tactical brains behind the new management team.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]Agreed. The decision that annoyed me the most was bringing Pattison on for Hoolahan who is probably our most attacking midfielder.We should be looking to go out and win these games, so at 2-2 we shouldn''t be taking off an attacking midfielder for a less attacking one. Nevertheless, if Gunn turns out to be a useless manager I wont blame him - The board are to blame.[/quote]I would argue that the problem with the Pattison substitution is that it didn''t happen early enough. We saw the very best of Wes, including that wonderful goal, but he was badly flagging, started to give the ball away more and more, and left a huge hole on our left for Southampton to attack down, which is where the equaliser came from. If Pattison had come on when it was 2-1 I think we would have won.I just think we desperately need a leader on the pitch. Essentially we fell apart against a very poor team who were there for the taking.

It is true that there are things Gunn has to learn from last night, but the poor defending was partly a result of him inheriting a squad with a small number of defenders posessing limited quality. Whoever would have taken over, it would have been a problem for him. If Purse signs, it will add some quality to the back four. I''m not saying Gunn is blameless for dropping two points last night - he certainly isn''t - but there is a bigger picture. Given the state of the club and the squad he has just as much chance of keeping us up as a more experienced manager would have done.

[quote user="Louis"]It is true that there are things Gunn has to learn from last night, but the poor defending was partly a result of him inheriting a squad with a small number of defenders posessing limited quality. Whoever would have taken over, it would have been a problem for him. If Purse signs, it will add some quality to the back four. I''m not saying Gunn is blameless for dropping two points last night - he certainly isn''t - but there is a bigger picture. Given the state of the club and the squad he has just as much chance of keeping us up as a more experienced manager would have done.[/quote]

Spot on...regardless of substitutions / tactics etc what''s cost us is a 50 yard diagonal ball in to the box that Grounds has managed to get himself nowhere near, 99 times out of 100 a CB heads that away. Purse plus a big man up front is essential.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

[/quote]

Exactely my opinion Jimbo. Gunny was as poor tonight as he was good against Barnsley.

When the opposition change things you have to react. It was crying out for a change after an hour.

[/quote]

I agree. How many times did roeder do this? he soon didn''t make changes .. he waited til the 80th to make a change, by then its far too late.

I disagree taking Hoolhan off before the second goal and getting Pattison on, would have been the right change.

It''s a learning curve for Bryan, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He got a great win against Barnsley and today he got a point. Let''s see how we get on against Donny.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

this takes nothing away from Gunn but did we do so well againsty Barnsley becuse Gunn was in charge or because Roeder was gone?

jas :)