Sign in to follow this  
er indoors

Is Chippy still in the air?!

Was anyone else surprised to see Gunny standing there alone for most of the match? With no number two in place I would have expected my coach to have been right there beside me showing a united front and encouraging the players. Instead of that he hid in the dugout for the majority of the game - dissapointing.

[quote user="er indoors"]Was anyone else surprised to see Gunny standing there alone for most of the match? With no number two in place I would have expected my coach to have been right there beside me showing a united front and encouraging the players. Instead of that he hid in the dugout for the majority of the game - dissapointing.
[/quote]

FA rules dictate that only one person may be standing in the technical area at any one time ( see below)

The technical area extends 1 m (1 yd) on either side of the designated seated area and extends forward up to a distance of 1 m (1 yd) from the touch line.
-The number of persons permitted to occupy the technical area is defined by the competition rules.
-The occupants of the technical area are identified before the beginning of the match in accordance with the competition rules.
-Only one person at a time is authorized to convey tactical instructions and he must return to his position after giving these instructions.
-The coach and other officials must remain within the confines of the technical area except in special circumstances, for example, a physiotherapist or doctor entering the field of play, with the referee’s permission, to assess an injured player.
-The coach and other occupants of the technical area must behave in a responsible manner

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="er indoors"]Was anyone else surprised to see Gunny standing there alone for most of the match? With no number two in place I would have expected my coach to have been right there beside me showing a united front and encouraging the players. Instead of that he hid in the dugout for the majority of the game - dissapointing.
[/quote]

FA rules dictate that only one person may be standing in the technical area at any one time ( see below)

The technical area extends 1 m (1 yd) on either side of the designated seated area and extends forward up to a distance of 1 m (1 yd) from the touch line.
-The number of persons permitted to occupy the technical area is defined by the competition rules.
-The occupants of the technical area are identified before the beginning of the match in accordance with the competition rules.
-Only one person at a time is authorized to convey tactical instructions and he must return to his position after giving these instructions.
-The coach and other officials must remain within the confines of the technical area except in special circumstances, for example, a physiotherapist or doctor entering the field of play, with the referee’s permission, to assess an injured player.
-The coach and other occupants of the technical area must behave in a responsible manner

[/quote]

Roeder and clarke were always both up on their feet.. the 4th official didnt seem to noitce (or care)

the 6 second rule is still in force in the game and no one adheres to that anymore either....

jas :)

FA rules dictate that only one person may be standing in the technical area at any one time ( see below)What? Where does it say only one person may be standing in there? Only one person is allowed to give technical instructions at a time. Even our goalkeeping coach made a few appearances next to Gunny in the Barnsley game.

[quote user="er indoors"]FA rules dictate that only one person may be standing in the technical area at any one time ( see below)

What? Where does it say only one person may be standing in there? Only one person is allowed to give technical instructions at a time. Even our goalkeeping coach made a few appearances next to Gunny in the Barnsley game.
[/quote]

The following extract from the FA Youth Cup rules makes it clearer. As Jas says, its often not enforced, in fact its usually ignored until the bench starts giving the ref or lino some stick, but it is the rule. I spent many years as a manager in the Ridgeons and I''ve often fallen foul of it!

29.       TEAM BENCHES

(a)      In all Rounds of the Competition, the number of Clubs players and Officials seated on the team benches, in the designated technical area, must not exceed 11 unless the team bench facility provides more than 11 individual seats.

(b)     Only one person has the authority to convey tactical instructions to the players during the match. This person shall be the Team Manager or the Team Coach. He is allowed to move to the edge of the technical area to issue instructions to his team but then must return to his position on the bench immediately after giving these instructions.

(c)      All team Officials and substitutes seated on the bench shall be listed on the Official Team Sheet when it is submitted to the Match Officials.  Only those persons listed on the Official Team Sheet shall be permitted in the technical area.

(d)     The occupants of the technical area must behave in a responsible manner at all times. Misconduct by occupants of this area will be reported by the Referee to The Association, who shall have the power to impose sanctions as deemed fit.

(e)     With the exception of the Team Manager, the Team Coach and any substitutes who are warming up or warming down, all other personnel are to remain seated on the trainers bench.The team manager or team coach is allowed to move to the edge of the technical area to issue instructions to his team, but must then return to the trainers bench..

This raises one of the potential pitfalls with having a No.2 who is more experienced in management than the No.1.

Gunny is the manager and he must be seen to be in charge.  He makes the decisions and takes the consequences because that''s what the manager does.  If Chippy keeps nipping out of the dugout to give him advice, how does that look?

It''s up to Gunny to decide when he needs a second opinion and call Chippy from the dugout.