Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Priority must be a striker, despite putting four past Barnsley

There has been much speculation about City getting a defender in during the transfer window, but I believe our priority must be a striker, unless the new coaching stafff can do something with Cureton, Lupoli, Cort and Koroma.  There is always an outside chance that Renton might get in, but I have a feeling the current management team will follow the suit of previous managers and ignore our own youngsters.

A striker (preferably strikers) should be a high priority. It''s been that way for a long time, unfortunately Roeder didn''t manage to sort it out properly.

I know he''s popular but I''d be worried if Cureton is seen as the answer by Bryan Gunn.

We need at least 1 in the Lita/Evans calibre.

A centreback should also be a priority.

Koroma is out for 3 months, Cort is someway short of anything approaching match fitness, Lupoli doesn''t look like he will get the run in the team he deserves (Curo came back and got in ahead of him straight away) and Jamie will score goals and is a decent squad player.

We need a proper target man and a striker with some pace too. Teams know that we have know pace and that they can push up on us and squeeze the pace. With the likes of Hoolahan, Clingan and even at times Fozzie we have midfielders who can thread through passes get strikers through on goal - look how many one on one''s Lita had when here.

Trouble is, who can we get in with our lack of money - unless the rumoured investment runs to millions.....

we need a tall, strong forward to can hold the ball up - in the mould of dion, deano, iwan etc...we''ve got curo, lupes, hooly and even rusty (joining the play from midefield) who can make the most of the knock-downs/flicks that would follow...cort is a joke gamble that should be sent packing imo///and to keep our defence tight, we should get an experienced rb and cb in...using grounds and semmy as back up...imo - this would be enough to keep us up comfortably...

I think with the financial restraints we have the best we can hope for are two players; the centre back and striker. Personally I hope Gunny''s policy is to get cheaper permanent deals from the lower leagues rather than spend a loan fee on another Premiership academy player that will cost the same as a small transfer fee anyway. At least then if the players develop we can pocket an improved transfer fee and improve the squad gradually that way.

From Cureton''s comments I think the players want a better ratio of permanents-loans in the side as well so everyone''s a winner, as long as the board sanction it.

No I meant expenditure on permanent players. Although the actual fee might be similar to a Prem loan, you then have to factor in signing on fee, plus increasing the salary budget on a longer-term basis. Personally I don''t think they have a choice than to do it sooner or later, but the board have got a few decisions right recently so I don''t want to tempt fate by thinking they''ll go too long without dropping a clanger!

Everyone want a new centre forward but the fact is we still only have one real centre back at the club, Grounds is a left back who can fill in at centre back but should either him or more importantly Doherty get injured we will be up s^*t creek. A new centre forward is important but a new centre back is just as important imo. We really have to shore up the back because i doubt we''ll be able to get the standard of striker in who will fire us away from the relegation area while still leaking stupid goals.

[quote user="silver fox"]There has been much speculation about City getting a defender in during the transfer window, but I believe our priority must be a striker, unless the new coaching stafff can do something with Cureton, Lupoli, Cort and Koroma.  There is always an outside chance that Renton might get in, but I have a feeling the current management team will follow the suit of previous managers and ignore our own youngsters.[/quote]

I think that you''re wrong. I think that our priority has to be sorting our defence out. We''ew recently lost 2 games 3-2, 1 game 3-1 and a handful where we''ve conceeded 2 goals. That, to me, suggests that if we stop shipping in so many goals, we''d come away with something.

your right , i think the back line is our weakest spot , midfield isnt too bad,

and i think or hope should i say , cureton will find his goldern touch , he should play with alot more confidence now the rodent has gone.

If we kept a clean sheet every week we''d only need to score in eight games to guarantee survival, so I''d probably be inclined to get the defender first. However, goals create confidence and the team looks unbalanced without a big striker so it''s six of one and half a dozen of another really. I think if we don''t get a body in both positions, either loan for the season or permanent, then we''ll be in real trouble. Goodwill can carry us far, but if we don''t have enough bodies we''ll be found out quickly.

We need a good solid defender in, a big but mobile centre forward and I would still get an up and down cnetre mid who would compliment Clingfilm but is more of a threat in goal.

After yesterday''s result, I''m standing by my guns. We definately have a priority of sorting our defence out over and above getting in a striker. We''ve scored 6 goals in the last 2 matches. If you score 2 goals at home, you should be winning the match. Not drawing it.

We need a defender and a striker as an equal priority, Russell worked hard but his first touch is awful and I lost count of the amount of times he got caught offside. He is not a striker and I don''t see how you can play him there when you have a big striker on the bench. On the odd occasions our defence was tested in the second half they were all over the place and it was no surprise when their centre forward was given the freedom of the six yard box to equalise.

lets make 1 thing clear.. we do not need a 6ft 3 target man to hoof the ball up to.... because the rest of the squad is too small and lacks the physical presence to make this kind of football work.... we need a striker who can score goals out of nothing.. EG a ched Evans.. ok we cant afford ched but someone in his mould would do.

true a striker witha  bit of height would be an advantage, but look at Manchester utd, proof alone that the target man is becoming a marginal figure in football, 15 years ago the sweeper was the player every team wanted, they disapeared from the game.. the old style back to goal target man is becoming a forgotten figure...

take Michael Owen, under 6 ft.... why does he score so many headers and beat so many bigger players in the air? movement in the box and the ability to read a game is why.... something our strikers lack....

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

lets make 1 thing clear.. we do not need a 6ft 3 target man to hoof the ball up to.... because the rest of the squad is too small and lacks the physical presence to make this kind of football work.... we need a striker who can score goals out of nothing.. EG a ched Evans.. ok we cant afford ched but someone in his mould would do.

true a striker witha  bit of height would be an advantage, but look at Manchester utd, proof alone that the target man is becoming a marginal figure in football, 15 years ago the sweeper was the player every team wanted, they disapeared from the game.. the old style back to goal target man is becoming a forgotten figure...

take Michael Owen, under 6 ft.... why does he score so many headers and beat so many bigger players in the air? movement in the box and the ability to read a game is why.... something our strikers lack....

jas :)

[/quote]Absolutely spot on Jas, couldn''t have put it better myself - I think with the style of football we play, we dont neccessarily need someone who is massive, tall is an advantage as you say, but i do think we are desperately short of someone with at least a bit of bloody pace! Lupoli is not the slowest, but equally he''s no Linford Christie..... We need someone who is quick and intelligent enough to use it to his advantage to get into the right positions to utilise it!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

lets make 1 thing clear.. we do not need a 6ft 3 target man to hoof the ball up to.... we need a striker who can score goals out of nothing.. EG a ched Evans.. [/quote]

Have to disagree with the first part....we do need a target man to hold the ball up and play others in. Since Roberts left and the passing through of Ashton we have badly lacked a target man. Too often we loose the ball up front for the opposition to put our defence under pressure for too long in matches.

However you are right re Ched Evans.