Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

The 59ers feature

[quote user="NCFC since 1986"]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport/NorwichCity/GloryYears/1959.aspx[/quote]

Pete, I believe there was something in the EDP last week that had letters from fans re-collecting their own memories of the 59 cup run as part of a competition. Is there a link to read those or plans to put them online; thanks

[/quote]

I''ll stick them online tomorrow.

Highly paid softies of today please note :-

". . . . . in April, when City played a staggering 11 matches – twice playing on consecutive days. And the number of players used during April ?    Just 14 !. . . . . "

I think in those days it seemed the only justifiable injury to stop a player turning out was a broken leg,

Just think when today''s managers and players complain about slight strains and too many games !

Jim, although I agree with your point in some form - you have to remember the game has changed a lot since then.Players are demmanded to be much more physically fit. The game is more enduring, played at a much higher pace etc.Wear and tear takes it''s toll. Aside to this, the general worth of players (Ronaldo for Man Utd for example) is staggering, and getting him injured would be suicidal by playing him when he has a slight strain or something!

[quote user="AJ"]Jim, although I agree with your point in some form - you have to remember the game has changed a lot since then.

Players are demmanded to be much more physically fit. The game is more enduring, played at a much higher pace etc.
Wear and tear takes it''s toll.

Aside to this, the general worth of players (Ronaldo for Man Utd for example) is staggering, and getting him injured would be suicidal by playing him when he has a slight strain or something!
[/quote]

You are right of course AJ,

But you have to let us oldies be a little self  righteous now and then, ha ha !

Now in my day . . . . . . . .

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Highly paid softies of today please note :-

". . . . . in April, when City played a staggering 11 matches – twice playing on consecutive days. And the number of players used during April ?    Just 14 !. . . . . "

I think in those days it seemed the only justifiable injury to stop a player turning out was a broken leg,

Just think when today''s managers and players complain about slight strains and too many games !

[/quote]

Add to that Ken Nethercott playing half an hour with essentially only one arm...

"It was Kennon who was called upon – literally – to replace Ken Nethercott, who played the final 30 minutes of the sixth round draw at Sheffield United with a dislocated shoulder.

Nethercott kept the Blades out single-handedly, defying every law of physics – and several covering the pain threshold – to earn City a replay.

The injury would prove to be so severe that Nethercott would never play senior football again."